Computer Help forum

General discussion

Graphics Card for Windows XP and Final Fantasy XI

by cre68cam / August 15, 2004 1:02 PM PDT

I am running Windows XP, AMD Athlon 2200+, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, integrated ProSavageDDR KM266 graphics card with 32 MB shared video memory. I want to play Final Fantasy XI. After I log on and hit "play" I get a msg that the game "terminated...failed to recognize hardware TnL. Please check that computer has required specifications to run FFXI." I'm guessing that I need to purchase a graphics card, that the OEM doesn't do the job. The Final Fantasy minimum system requirements SPECIFY either NVIDIA GeForce series or ATI Technologies RADEON 9000 series. Their web support is even more specific as to model #'s. Does this game really require those SPECIFIC brands of graphics card? Will I have to buy or install anything else? Does anyone out there have FFXI, and if so, what experiences/problems have you had? All answers/advice are appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphics Card for Windows XP and Final Fantasy XI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphics Card for Windows XP and Final Fantasy XI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Graphics Card for Windows XP and Final Fantasy XI
by Tman1 / August 15, 2004 1:23 PM PDT

The integrated S3 card you have is crap.
Yes you will need a better graphics card, Any Geforce or Radeon card is capable of hardware TnL, so really it just comes down to whether or not you have an AGP slot.

If yes, then take your pick, if not, then you are limited to PCI cards.

Collapse -
by ozos / August 15, 2004 1:23 PM PDT

those cards are very common the Radeon 9000 series is the more recent Radeon cards, prices range from $50 to $250
nVidia GeForce cards are the GeForce FX which range from $50 to $200 in price...
It would help if I knew what version of DirectX that game needs...I am guessing 8.1 but I am not sure...where is this list of approved cards.?

Collapse -
by cre68cam / August 15, 2004 2:19 PM PDT

Thanks for your reply. FFXI requires DirectX 8.1. Also, FFXI is an online-only type game, played through PlayOnline. BTW...I am using a DSL Internet connection. The list of approved cards is in the Q&A section of PlayOnline.com Support. The list is very specific as to brand/model. I have been trying to do a little research on the cards. One thing that really confuses me is this...is there a difference between a Radeon card manufactured by ATI Technologies and one manufactured by FMI? Or a difference between a GeForce manufactured by BFG and one manufactured by PNY? The web support page specifies GeForce FX 5800 or 5800 Ultra, 5600 or 5600 Ultra, 5200 or 5200 Ultra (whats wrong with a GeForce FX 5500 or a 5700?) and ATI Technologies Radeon 9000, 9000 Pro, 9100, 9500, 9500 Pro, 9700, 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro. (what about a 9200?). This is the first game I've ever had where it mattered what kind of graphics card I had. If I've got to buy a card, I want to be sure to get the right one.

Collapse -
by Yew / August 15, 2004 10:16 PM PDT

Out of those cards, avoid the Radeon 9000's, 9100's, and 9200's. They're not worth the money, unless they're free. The 9500 would be a great card, if you can find one, because not many were made before ATI replaced it with the somewhat watered down 9600.

On the nVidia side, avoid the 5200's, and probably the 5500's as well. The 5200's are cheap, and you get exactly what you pay for, in a barely adequate card for some older games.

The reason some card models seem to be missing, is that ATI and nVidia added them later. The 5500 and 5700 GeForce FX lines are both fairly new. There's not a linear progression in the model numbers. Which is why a Radeon 8500 is better than a Radeon 9200 on down.

And the differences between the brands of cards, is basically who made it. ATI and nVidia tend to focus only on video chipsets. Both companies sell these chipsets to various companies who them put them together into a full blown video card. ATI also just happens to produce their own line of video cards (the "Made by ATI" cards as opposed to "Powered by ATI" cards). For the most part, the differences between brands is negligable. However, some might use higher quality parts. A chipset might support DDR, DDR-2, and DDR-3 RAM for example. BFG might use DDR-3, while PNY uses DDR-2, and someone else uses DDR. And BFG might use gold contacts for the best connectivity, while PNY and everyone else uses copper or tin which aren't as good. And sometimes you'll have two identically specced cards, but one costs 5% more just because say PNY wants a higher margin per card than BFG. Just note that the companies I use here are just examples, and nothing more. Don't take it as literal truth.

That all being said, if you can find a GeForceFX 5700 Ultra, I'd recomend that, if you have a rather spacious case, because the thing is an absolute monster in size. But it is a great performer for the price. Otherwise, I'd probably look for the 5600 Ultra (always go with the Ultra versions of nVidia cards). On the Radeon side, the 9600 Pro or XT would probably be where I'd start looking. If you can find a 9500 Pro, that would be a better bet, but you'll probably have to scour eBay for something like that.

Collapse -
X300
by wkhunter / December 30, 2004 1:03 AM PST

I run FFXI using a Radeon X300. I have a P4 3GHz, 1GB RAM. I've also played the Doom3 demo, with no problems, so this card is OK.

Collapse -
by ozos / August 17, 2004 3:58 AM PDT

alright i read ywankers post, and i can sum that up for you and make it simple.
alright
i am going to give two lists, and avoid list and an ok list...its for price efficiency

AVOID THESE:
GeForce 5200 and 5200 Ultra
GeForce 5500
Radeon 9000
Radeon 9100
Radeon 9200
Radeon 9600 SE
Radeon 9800 SE
GeForce FX 5600
GeForce FX 5600XT
GeForce FX 5600 Ultra (the reason to avoid 5600 series, they are outdated and will cost more than they are worth)
GeForce FX 5800
GeForce FX 5800 Ultra (the 5800's are the same thing as the 5600's...outdated and over priced...sorry)

These are good buys:
Radeon 9600Pro
Radeon 9600XT
Radeon 9500Pro (for under $150)
Radeon 9700 Series (basic and Pro)
GeForce FX 5700
GeForce FX 5700 Ultra (a little over priced)
GeForce FX 5900XT or SE (they are same thing, and they cost about $10 more than 5700U...they give mad performance)
Radeon 9800/9800Pro

ok
i would say go for the 5600 Ultra but it's going to cost around $200...which is outrageous for that card...
for DirectX 8.1 you should be able to get by on a slightly less powerfull card...sinec you don't need DirectX 9.0, but I am not sure how heavy on graphics Final Fantasy XI is...I would shoot for the Radeon 9600Pro (on newegg for $115..I got one...it's great)
the GeForce FX 5700 is about the same performance...the 5700 Ultra is like the 9600XT, but the 9600XT is better when AA/AF is applied...plus the 9600XT is cheaper ($134 vs. $160, for same performance)
any more questions?
Avoid those 9200 and 5200 cards...

Collapse -
by cre68cam / August 17, 2004 9:40 AM PDT

Many thanks, ozos (and ywankers, too) for the info. It helps a lot! I'm going to print this list and take it with me when I shop! It was all very confusing to someone who never had to do anything except hit the "play" button in order to play a game!

My last question (I promise!) is regarding installation. Is this a DIY project or one best left to the pros? I have added RAM to both of my old comps and even a CD drive to one of them, so I am not afraid to open the box.

Thanks again for all your help!

Collapse -
by billzhills / August 18, 2004 1:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
by ozos / August 18, 2004 3:18 AM PDT

its DIY, the card is like a BIG RAM stick...if you think about it like that...it goes in the AGP slot...on a standard ATX form board...that will be right below the onboard connectors (COM ports, integrated sound..so on and so forth) there is a clip on the back...that is something to be careful of more when you pull the thing out....but you gotta line the thing up for going in...I wouldn't get the card at a retail store....goto www.newegg.com
you will save money, you can get a Radeon 9600Pro for $114.99 shipped FedEx Express Saver, but I think that exact card is still out of stock for a few more days...but goto Newegg you will save some money...

Collapse -
Thanks for your Help
by cre68cam / August 18, 2004 6:32 AM PDT

Many thanks to all who posted with information and advice!

Collapse -
Re: Thanks for your Help
by ozos / August 18, 2004 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for your Help

your welcome...if there is anything that I can answer for you please post back...I'm sure that others would also be glad to aid you...but I am not them so I will not claim 100% that they will respond...let us know how it goes...

Collapse -
One other thing
by chuckieu / December 30, 2004 4:27 AM PST

I mention this only because I noticed a few on the list. Don't get a card with "LE or "SE" behind it. Unlike XT or PRO, these letters mean some version of "Stripped Down".
Not worth the money. FWIW chuck

Collapse -
You need an upgrade
by Itikuo / January 19, 2009 2:54 PM PST

Yeah if your getting that message you totally need an upgrade. However I will say that you don't absolutely need to have ATI or Nvidia as I have been playing FFXI off and on for 6 years use my Dell E310's integrated graphics card.

My system specs were
Intel pentium III 3.0 ghz
256MB Memory
80 GB HD
Intergrated Graphics card
Intergrated sound card

Worked just fine and I was happy.

Notice all my were and was? Well after 6 years my E310 has died, not from age but to a spyware that destroyed my Operating system with an added virus to top it off. So alas it is time to upgrade

for $412.50 + shipping I'm upgrading my System to this :
www.newegg.com I <3 /clap /hurray
General Spec
Brand iBUYPOWER
Model GS-514
Recommended Usage Gaming
Form Factor Tower
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
Processor Main Features 64 bit Dual Core Processor
Cache Per Processor 2 x 512KB L2 Cache
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Hard Drive 320GB SATA II
Optical Drive 1 20X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT 512MB Video Card
Audio ALC883 High Definition Audio
Ethernet Built-in GB Ethernet LAN
Power Supply 580 Watt Power Supply
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Software Included MS Office 2007 [60-Day Trial]
Special Features Black NZXT APOLLO Gaming Tower+ Blue Color Lighting
Motherboard
Motherboard Name ASUS M2A-VM Mainboard
CPU
CPU Type Athlon 64 X2
Installed Qty 1
CPU Speed 5000+
L2 Cache Per CPU 2 x 512KB
CPU Socket Type AM2
CPU Main Features 64 bit Dual Core Processor
Graphics
GPU/VPU Type NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Graphics Interface PCI Express x16
Memory
Memory Capacity 4GB DDR2
Memory Speed DDR2 800
Form Factor DIMM 240-pin
Memory Spec 2GB x 2
Memory Slots (Available/Total) 2/4
Maximum Memory Supported 8GB
Hard Drive
HD Capacity 320GB
HD Interface SATA II
Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD

Collapse -
got cut off
by Itikuo / January 19, 2009 2:59 PM PST
In reply to: You need an upgrade

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
64 bit Dual Core Processor
2 x 512KB L2 Cache
4GB DDR2 800
320GB SATA II
20X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT 512MB Video Card
ALC883 High Definition Audio
Built-in GB Ethernet LAN
580 Watt Power Supply
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Art of War LS
Quatzacoatle Server

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?