Windows Vista forum

General discussion

graphics card drivers

by sham1313 / January 1, 2009 1:34 PM PST

can some one tell me what a graphics card drivers are? and where would I go to see f it needed updated. I am not sure some times all the information I need to write down. I guess in the last question I ask i forgot to write that I use a lap top hp note book. I don't thing you need any thing els if so let me know I and I well try to supply it. thanks sham1313

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: graphics card drivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: graphics card drivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Drivers
by FrankQC / January 1, 2009 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: graphics card drivers

It would be useful if we knew your graphics card manufacturer (i.e. nVidia or ATI, etc).

If you're using nvidia: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

If you're using ATI: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML

Select the appropriate information and you will be guided to the proper graphic driver download.

To find out what your graphics cards manufacturer is, hold the start button, then press R, then the Run command line window will pop up.
When you see that window type: dxdiag.exe
click on the "display" tab and it will tell you your manufacturer.

Graphic card drivers is a software/program that allows your computer to communicate with hardware (i.e. printer, scanner, mouse, audio, screen display, etc). The more recent the drivers are the less chance (in theory) you should get glitches and errors.

Collapse -
graphic card
by sham1313 / January 2, 2009 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Drivers

I have took extra time to make sure this is right but I did not under stand most of it being real teg. to me. in what you wrote. In the last question I wrote I think I forgot to write that I am using a hp computer I guess I should have also spelled out the full name being Hewlett-Packard I think I did say I was using a laptop but I forgot to say it was System Model: HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC I copy pasted that from the big box you help me fine that has to do with the graphic card I guess. at 1st when you said hold the start button and push the letter r I was not sure if you meant the button that turn it off and off because I did make a mistake and called it a off button I did happen to think you might mean to click the start menu and type r and I saw nothing but I wrote the word run and click it and type dxdiag.exe and click it then a big box with all of kinds of information was in it. this is where I got all the information I am giving you now. I did save all the information that was in the box in case I need it again. witch I am sure I well. at the top of the box there were 5 tabs witch were system were it started at. then there was display , sound 1, sound 2 and last was imput. under that it said. this tool reports detailed information about the directx com I well skip a bunch and go to where saw system is Hewlett Packard. I did click all 5 tabs and saw that at the bottom it said no problem found. when I click display bye the word manufacture:it said NVDIA. so I guess that is where I need to go to see if the graphics card need to be updated at this URL you sent me.http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us. I am guessing maybe sense at bottom of the page no problem found that it means it don't need to be updated. is this right or wrong? I have pulled up that page it does not make much sense to me because I don't understand a lot of words and what need to be in each spot were it ask about different things. I did not see any thing in the big box at all that had any thing to with ATI: so I guess the second URL you sent me I do not need. is that right or wrong? I was having trouble with the screen either going all blue or black and the only thing at 1st I thought might help was pushing the ctrl and the alt also the delete key at the same time might bring up task manger so I could close a program that was not working or be able to restart the computer the right way. when that did not work I held the key to where you turn it on and off with for over a min and it did go off. that is where I made one mistake on the last question I ask I had called it the off button. I know I should have gave a lot more information but before you help me fine that big box about the graphics card. I did not have the iformation to give. I well ask my husband if he Will prove read before I send in question I have before tho and he says he does not know any think about computer so he don't thing he be any help. I do realize you take a lot of time helping a lot of people out with there computer for free. and saying just thank you does not come close to letting you know you do super work and give you a hole lot of credit. that don't sound quite right but I think you know what I mean. I do more then thank you. if it does need to be updated I hope I can figure it out how to fill in every thing it ask for.. thanks for the URL and your time.
Sharon sham1313

Collapse -
leave them be
by ramarc / January 3, 2009 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: graphic card

the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" is sage advice when it comes to drivers.

unless you're trying to play 3d games on your laptop or fix a problem with your display, stick with the drivers provided by the laptop manufacturer or downloaded automatically by windows update.

Collapse -
that is the trouble
by sham1313 / January 3, 2009 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: leave them be

I was told maybe to up date the drivers if they needed may help wit what this hp computer has done 3 time witch was go to a all blue or black screen and stay like that till i held down the key that turn on and off computer for over a min. when I restart it. it is OK Like you said tho all the drivers say there working OK. so I will leave then alone. thanks for your help

Collapse -
graphic driver update
by mackman / January 5, 2009 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: graphic card

For a HP notebook Nvidia does not supply drivers they must be obained from the Hp website

Collapse -
HP did it self a update this morning well part of one
by sham1313 / January 5, 2009 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: graphic driver update

my husband had a important phone call coming in and I had to cancel it got one of the item install but there were 3 or 4 more that it did not get to. later this evening well go to the hp site and let it finish. thanks sham1313

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.