Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

graphics card

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good graphics card with 128mb of memory. Right now I'm using a nvidia geforce4 mx 420 with 64mb of memory. I don't think it'll run real well with doom 3, battlefield vietnam etc. What do you think? It's a dell 8200 dimension with 1gig of ram, 2.53 ghz intel processor. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: graphics card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: graphics card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: graphics card

In reply to: graphics card

Here's the deal. For Doom 3, it's possible for you to install the top offering from Nvidia or Ati and still not turn on all the features or run at high pixel counts.

The answer might be that you set a budget and get the highest rated card that fits that dollar.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: graphics card

well, I was considering purchasing an ati radeon 9600 xt. I think they're under 200 dollors. I don't want to spend anymore than that. Are you familiar with the free program called driver cleaner 3.2?

Collapse -

In reply to: graphics card

With Doom 3 at least, you'll get a better experience running it in low detail mode with a high resolution compared to low resolution and high detail mode.

Personally, I'd look for an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro or XT or an nVidia GeForceFX 5800 Ultra or there abouts. Really kind of depends on just how much you're willing to invest in the graphics card. A top of the line GeForceFX 6800 Ultra can run about $500, and similarly with the Radeon top end Radeon card. Then they run down to about the $50 GeForceFX 5200 which isn't worth even $50. So there's a rather LARGE range of prices.

Figure out how much you want to spend, then start looking around at some different places. Amazon, NewEgg, and Allstar Shop are some that I've had good experiences with personally. Just like I'd avoid spending more than probably $50 at a CompUSA, I'd avoid Buy.com if there's even a remote possibility that you might want/need to return the product for ANY reason.

Collapse -

Um...there is a huge performance gap in-between the GeForce FX 5800 and the Radeon 9600 series...
Avoid the GeForce FX 5800 Series because they are discontinued...not bad execept they have all returned to original retail, why pay $400 for a card worth $200?
For $200 for Doom 3, get the GeForce FX 5900XT...it's a great card on par with the FX 5800. The Radeon 9600XT is a great card, I have the slightly slower 9600Pro...which is great for Halo and Warcraft 3...but for Doom 3 you want a bigger card...go for the 5900XT or 9800 (not pro)
If you want to spend a tad over $200...get the Radeon 9800Pro...prices range from $195-$250...

Collapse -

Thanks ozos.

Collapse -

Yeah you're right... I'm really terrible with remembering numbers, so it's probably good to have someone double checking things like this.

Collapse -

I really don't want to spend 500.00 on a card just to play doom 3 which I understand is quirky anyway and has a few bugs. I really don't want to have to upgrade the power supply either.

Collapse -
I purchased Doom 3 .....

a little over a week ago. It plays well on my WinXP Home, 2.0 GHz Pent 4, 512MB RAM, and Nvidia GeForce 4, Ti4600 Graphics Card, without being quirky or showing any bugs.

Here are the computer requirements as taken from the game CD "Read Me" which are higher than any other game I have to date:

Quote:
"Please note that Doom 3 does not support Microsoft(r) Windows(r)
95/98/ME/NT. However, installation is allowed in case of operating
system upgrades, or dual booting configurations.

1. Minimum System Requirements:

* English version of Microsoft(r) Windows(r) 2000/XP

* Pentium(r) 4 1.5 GHz or Athlon(tm) XP 1500+ processor

Collapse -
Re: I purchased Doom 3 .....

In reply to: I purchased Doom 3 .....

Hey John, it's nice to hear from someone who's got basically the same setup as me and has tried the game. I have a geforce4 mx 420 card and if it'll run alright with it then I'll think about upgrading later. Did you have to update your drivers?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: I purchased Doom 3 .....

I also have Doom 3. It's on the game box. Which is a P4-2.0GHz 512M RAM, and the FX5700le card. While the FX5700le exceeds the minimum on the D3 box, there are cinematics (what word to use?) that I will not see with this card. Maybe next year with the newer cards...

Doom3 will select a mode to match the machine's capabilities.

As to Windows NT, there is a workaround if someone needs it.

Bob

Collapse -

Haven't updated any drivers in a long time, and the Geforce 4 Ti4600 original driver that I installed over a year ago works fine so haven't done updates.

I just plopped the CD in and eveything worked fine. I did already have Active X 9.0b, but went ahead and let the CD install or check for it anyway.

The only thing I hate about Doom 3 is that you constantly have to use the flashlight to be able to see..holding down the F key...then having to let up on that key to disable the flashlight in order to activate the mouse weapon firing button...usually firing your weapon in the dark or dim light.

I'm looking forward to Half-Life II which should be out shortly after several years wait, and should not require a FLASHLIGHT.

JR

Collapse -

Thanks, I'm gonna simply buy doom 3 and try it. Let the cards fall where they may.

Collapse -

Yes I hate using the Flashlight all the time..then you don't have time to swith or see what you are shooting at.
I think they got carried away with the Dark Shadows. I am running the game in High on my ATI X800 at 1280X1024. the game plays great The newer cards help with the Cpu Cycles.
I Had the 9600 PRO and I had to run FarCry in Medium..and this is with a Pent.4 800 fromt side bus HT and using dual channel DDR 3200 in Dual channel..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.