PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Graphic's card doesn't work with my monitor

by xlJameslx / September 4, 2008 8:41 AM PDT

I just recently bought a XFX Graphic's Card GeForce 8600GT Profess1onal Series and tried to install the hardware into my computer. When I turned my computer on , it say's I have to plug the monitor cable into the Graphic's Card connecter. I did as I was told and when I restarted the computer. The monitor is on Power Save Mode and I cant see anything. The power button on the monitor is amber lighted and I can log into a window's user name by using the keyboard alone and I hear it working. My friend's said it was my power supply so I bought a PSU Raidmax 630W Power Supply. It still didn't help. My computer info is..

Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition(5.1 , Build 2600)
System Manufacturer - Dell Inc.
System Model - Dimension 4700
BIOS - Pheonix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03
Processor - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPU's)
Direct X - Version 9
Memory - 502MB RAM

Please help me. Any advice or help is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphic's card doesn't work with my monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphic's card doesn't work with my monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New video start-up
by Willy / September 4, 2008 8:56 AM PDT

ASSUMING HERE.....I take it your system didn't have a video card before and you used the int. video port. If so, you need to disable the video port to allow access to the new video card. I would check with Dell or review the help guide provided with the video to see what it states. You need to enter the bios(if applicable) and disable the on-board video port. Then when you reboot hopefully, it'll start the process to access and/or load any drivers needed for the new video card.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
On-Board Video Port?
by xlJameslx / September 4, 2008 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: New video start-up

Do you mind telling me how to do that? Im kinda a noob at computer's

Collapse -
Bios setting
by Willy / September 4, 2008 10:00 PM PDT
In reply to: On-Board Video Port?

Enter the "bios" area and find the video setting and disable it to deactivate the on-board video port. If doesn't make sense to you, then review your manual on such bios changes. If no manual or not found on the system CD that came with your system, then visit the support website for instructions on how to enter the bios. I won't supply that as it varies on different systems, but basically you hit a certain key(s) during the boot-up cycle. Once you've disabled the video port, be sure to save before exiting the bios area to save the changes. Once done, the system should see the new video card and prompt you for the install. Didn't the new video card come with any instructions?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
VGA or Video?
by xlJameslx / September 5, 2008 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Bios setting

Is a video port also called a vga port? How do I disable the vga/video port from device manager or bios. What is it called? Is the name something other than vga or video port? Please help

Collapse -
Manual or support website has the definite answer
by Willy / September 5, 2008 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: VGA or Video?

Did you visit http://www.dell.com find the support section and look for your model. Then find how to enter the bios under its manual or quick help guide? Support can ask you in 3 ways to better serve you, enter the service tag#, S/N# or locate the model#.

The bios is a separate area not part of the OS. In other words its a physical area displayed during boot-up, you hit a key to enter it. Dell pretty much explains this in detail. just surf to it and allow it to explain itself. As I stated before various systems have different keys to enter what yours is has to be found out. This is something you need to know now and later. As for VGA, for for peripherals or integrated listing within the bios, you may have to navigate for it within the bios.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R178150&SystemID=XPS_M1330&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=14178&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=4&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=1&fileid=242504

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Dell support start webpage - correct one
by Willy / September 5, 2008 6:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
my sgraphic does'n work???
by keliv_nguyen / September 19, 2008 3:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Bios setting

I've bought a coputer yesterday.it's a gateway one with graphics:ATI RADEON HD 3450.it's used to playing game.it worked so nice untill now.when i log in the game.the game run but i can't log in game because there's an notice window appears in the monitor.the notice window said that: "He client is terminated unproperly,
As you send the feedbk for your hardware spec and unproper termination situation,it would be help to improve the circumstance for game.
Thank you for your cooporation in advance.
AppName : game.exe AppVer: VIETNAM_51
Exception Addess: 0x001B3363 "
After that, window stop working so i have to enter task manager to end the game.there's another notice window said "sgraphic doesn't responding"
I wonder what is the problem? it's a software error or hardware one.
plz show me how to fix this problem as soon as possible.
Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.