Computer Help forum

General discussion

graphic card settings for the sims 3

i am at a complete loss here with the sims 3. i need some serious help with my graphic card settings. ive been reading site after site trying to solve this one.
first my comp and graphics card: board-xfx mg-63mi-7159 / nvidia geforce 7150 chipset / 4 gigs ddr2-6400 / processor-intel core 2 quad q6600 / graphics card-radeon hd 4890 1 gig gddr5 / monitor-hanns.g if251 1920x1080 max resolution. i think that covers everything.
considering my hardware this game should fly off the screen.
issues: horizontal tearing, stuttering on the screen when i scroll. drives me crazy! the game itself has many of its own settings. ive tried using them, ive overode them with the card, i have vertical refresh forced on and have the newest driver. i also read about fps causing issues with the monitor and graphics card. how the heck do you know what your monitor and cards fps are?
i ran a program called frapps but dont quite understand what im looking at.
im beyond frusterated!!! if anyone knows anything about this stupid game your help would be more than appreciated. it will save my sanity.

bon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: graphic card settings for the sims 3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: graphic card settings for the sims 3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's say you have the latest video driver.

In reply to: graphic card settings for the sims 3

What about motherboard drivers?

Are you using a 64 bit OS?

Windows 7?

Too many things left to chance I fear here. Ask the machine's maker to supply the "OS and driver install plan." Share that here so members can see if something was forgotten.
Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Let's say you have the latest video driver.

its windows 7 64bit. and i built the computer. just wondering if there were any graphic settings that i was missing. or maybe there is a glitch in the sims. idk. its the only game i play. that was the reason for the high end pc.

thanx bon

Collapse -
Still so much untold.

In reply to: reply

I think many are leaving drivers and more up to Microsoft on Windows 7. Here I discovered the same story of having to find the drivers and the proper install order and something new. I tripped over it when I installed CDBURNERXP and it complaining about no recordable drives. A little research and one more driver. To my surprise the machine sped up even more.

Your machine's maker even if it is you must have a plan.
Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Still so much untold.

my machine itself is fast. its the stupid game. i managed to get the graphic settings on my laptop somewhat managable for the game after 2 days of switching options around and mixing and matching. i figured i could match up the settings from my laptop to my pc. however because my laptop has nvidia there are a lot more settings with lots of different functions. ccc on my pc has less options and im confussed about what they all do.
i feel really stupid about this because i can do so much with comps. i taught myself and im very proud of that. i have read everything about what graphic settings mean and i just cant seem to understand them. i guess i should just play it the way it is. its not that bad. it just makes me insane that i cant fix it. stupid perfectionist i guess. ok and a little obsessive to.
but thanx. i appreciate your input.
bon

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!