Desktops forum

General discussion

Graphic Card question, is this better than what I have now?

hello all... I have a few questions.

I currently have the Radeon® 9800 PRO 128mb card.

Since my current TV card caption won't work, (I'm deaf) I'm thinking of getting the ATI All-in-Wonder 256mb 2006 Edition AGP and hoping the TV caption works on this card.

I'm assuming 256mb memory is better than the 128mb memory I have now.

My question is how much better is this one compared to my current one. I don't play any games, okay, just one, the MS Flight Simulator 2004 and I do a lot of graphic/digital photo work. I like to watch TV from time to time, but need caption.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphic Card question, is this better than what I have now?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphic Card question, is this better than what I have now?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RAM

In reply to: Graphic Card question, is this better than what I have now?

depends on how much RAM your system is currently running, i would advise upgrading it to at least 512MB, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related in order to recieve the best advice Happy

Collapse -
system specs

In reply to: RAM

ECS Mobo 865G-M8
Intel Dual Core 3.4G processor
2 GB Dual DDR400 SDRAM Memory
2 S-ATA-150 x 160GB cold swap HDD
ATI RADEON 9800 Pro 128mb
HP 21" LCD Flat panel
WinTV-PVR-150

Collapse -
a-i-w 2006 edition vs 9800pro

In reply to: Graphic Card question, is this better than what I have now?

for your graphic/digital work, either video card will perform about the same. in flight sim '04 however, the a-i-w 2006 (which is based on the x1300) will be slower than your current 9800pro (which is comparable to an x1600) even with the extra ram.

my suggestion is keep your existing 9800pro and get a new tv card like a tv wonder 550 ($55 vs $130 for the a-i-w)

Collapse -
What TV cards have the caption feature?

In reply to: a-i-w 2006 edition vs 9800pro

Okay, now that was the answer I was looking for.
I guess I'd better keep my current card.

Part of the reason I wanted the TV combo was to get the caption feature.

I tried to find a email address on the ATI site, they only had phone # and was email was nowhere to be found. In todays Internet world, they should have an email address!!! I can't call as I'm deaf.

Anyone hear know which TV cards out there have caption?
Caption that works that is.

Collapse -
Link, comment.

In reply to: What TV cards have the caption feature?

Collapse -
The caption card I have now specs

In reply to: Link, comment.

Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI (26xxx)
Driver date: 4/13/06
Driver version: 2.0.43.24103

Collapse -
Are there caption programs out there?

In reply to: The caption card I have now specs

I didn't get any software with the TV card as I got the card off ebay.
So it could very well be software as why I can't get the software to work?
Is there programs out there that I can download for caption maybe? Because my TV card for the notebook caption don't work either and I got that off eBay too.

Collapse -
Download it from Hauppauge.com

In reply to: Are there caption programs out there?

Collapse -
Thanks!

In reply to: Download it from Hauppauge.com

now I have to figure out which one to download. If I recall, I had to download drivers from that site, but I don't remember if I downloaded anything else?

Collapse -
read and follow the steps

In reply to: Thanks!

You have to read and follow the directions. It is your hardware, isn't it?

Assuming you are running Windows XP, read and follow the directions starting at "Installation instructions for use under WindowsXP and Windows2000." Do steps 1-4.

Then skip down to "Accessories." Install whatever you want.

Collapse -
yup, I had downloaded all this

In reply to: Thanks!

I had downloaded all this before and the CC button shows up on the screen/skin but doesn't work.

Installation instructions for use under WindowsXP and Windows2000:
Note: If this is the first time you are loading WinTV under Windows2000, after booting Windows2000 you will see the "Hardware Wizard". Click on Cancel.

Download the Windows2000 and Windows XP base driver (w2kdrv311.exe) and save it to a directory you will remember (for example: C:\)
Run w2kdrv311.exe.
Download the WinTV-PVR driver update file pvrpcidrv15_20045.exe and save it to a directory you will remember (for example: C:\)
Run pvrpcidrv15_20045.exe. This will unpack the driver update and start the installation.
You will be asked to Reboot. Do so to start the driver installation.
After the reboot, the driver installation will start. Click Next, Continue anyway, Finish to install the video driver.
Click Next, Continue anyway, Finish to install the data capture driver.
After the driver update has been installed, you need to install the latest WinTV2000 application with the new video formats.
Download the WinTV application (wintv2k339_20112.exe) and save it to a directory you will remember (for example: C:\)
Run wintv2k339_20112.exe. This will install the updated WinTV2000 application. There is no need to reboot after this.
Then install this MPEG decoder.
Hauppauge MPEG decoder version 1_20032
To install, copy this file to a temporary directory on your local disk. Then run hcwsmd01.exe, which is the latest Hauppauge MPEG decoder.
Name: hcwsmd01.exe
size:1907K
Updated: Feb. 1, 2002

Also, there is an support email there, so I emailed them. I think I already did that 3 months ago and they said it didn't support CC.

Collapse -
May have found the problem...

In reply to: yup, I had downloaded all this

When I looked at the FAQ page I came up with these two and it looks like my dual cpu is causing the problem.

"Closed Captions Not Available" Error when trying to view Closed Captioning:
The VGA card is not set to "Allow Overlay" mode, or the VGA card does not support Overlay mode correctly. VGA cards that are supposed to support overlay may require updated VGA drivers from the Video card manufacturer.

I have it set on "Allow Overlay"

The stability of the WinTV operation or hardware functioning correctly may be impaired on dual CPU systems.

BINGO?

Collapse -
test it

In reply to: May have found the problem...

Download and install latest driver from ATI.com.

Check for an "overlay" setting in your video card settings.

Collapse -
ATI

In reply to: yup, I had downloaded all this

Well, that's your answer for your Hauppauge model. What about the ATI model that R. Proffitt posted? It says that it supports Closed Captioning.

Seems simple: Hauppauge says their product doesn't support CC, ATI says theirs does.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.