by Santamoose / February 6, 2015 7:04 AM PST

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz 33 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
MSI Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821) (SOCKET 0) 29°C
Graphics
SMS23A550H (1920x1080@60Hz)
Cintiq 24HD (1920x1200@59Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc) 34 °C

Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device (SATA) 35 °C

Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
-----------------------------------------------------------------

So I've had this problem for nearly 8 months with no solutions I've found anywhere working. While using my computer, sometimes randomly and others seemingly just when under a lot of workload (playing Final Fantasy 14 or using my Cintiq 24HD)

It will suddenly drop in performance. Sometimes, but not always, it will begin with the screen going black, and the monitor searching for input. Upon returning to a display, often Chrome will be a window with just blank unclickable screen inside the borders. Over time it will refresh, or black out again and come back useable.

If it doesn't start this way, while in game or out, It will begin with the visuals and audio kind of "clipping", there is no proper descriptor I've found. The FPS basically drops from 70 to 15-20, and the sound is basically coming in at that rate as well. It eventually devolves to the point where I have to exit or restart my computer. Sometimes it affects computer-wide performance, sometimes just exiting the game fixes it.

I know my computer is able to play it on average settings, because sometimes it will play just fine. But the issue returns day and day again and I haven't been able to figure it out. Thank you for your time!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphic and Audio Slowdown, unsure if software or harda
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphic and Audio Slowdown, unsure if software or harda
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Actually, many gamer boards ask that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2015 7:11 AM PST

Even that machine will slow under load. However while it was nice for you to post temperatures it's often a sign that you will have to write a lot to get the PC builder (you?) to just do the work of redoing CPU/GPU/all heatsinks then go over what could be software or driver issues.

The dropout is my clue it's time to do all the usual work and not waste time on software yet. Here's a nice article on another GPU. Nice pictures on what to do. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290x-thermal-paste-efficiency,3678.html
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the response, still have questions!
by Santamoose / February 19, 2015 2:39 AM PST

I am the builder actually, yeah. I learned some in my first years of collegiate highschool but I graduated and started a business degree instead. So, there is a very good chance when I built this PC last year, that I've been doing something wrong the entire time!

So other than re-applying GPU or CPU thermal pastes, what else in hardware could be affecting this? Low RAM?

My HDD sectors are healthy.

Or just like you said, the i5 Haswell and GTX 750 are just low end and I should buy better parts?

Collapse -
I'm going with no to a lot of points.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2015 2:53 AM PST

1. Low RAM.

I continue to find 32 bit issues on games. I don't mean bugs but the games are put out in 32 bit executables so that means in Windows it runs in its own 2GB memory space. Your system has 8GB of RAM on the CPU and a current tech 2GB video card.

Simply no.

2. The GTX 750 should take sudden drops like the ATI did so I can't guess why you are passing up on prior lessons here. You can skip the GPU work if you point a fan at the open case to get by for now.

3. You have some USB things hooked up that could cause odd delays. One of the things you learn is to unplug USB 2.0 devices before you game on.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?