Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Graphcis Card on Macbook Pro 15

by arreis_email / July 1, 2009 3:48 PM PDT

I'm planning to buy a new macbook pro 15" probably by the end of the month(PC User, never used mac before). However, I'm wondering if it can handle 2D and 3D CAD really well since it only have an Nvidia Geforce 9600Gt.
Yes, I'm might use boot camp since some CAD softwares, like Solidworks 2009, is only native on windows.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graphcis Card on Macbook Pro 15
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graphcis Card on Macbook Pro 15
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shouldn't be a problem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 9:55 PM PDT

Would you have the same concerns about a PC with this graphics card installed?

P

Collapse -
Additional Info
by arreis_email / July 2, 2009 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Shouldn't be a problem

I'm actually still choosing between these two systems
M4400
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93GHz 6MB L2 Cache
512Mb Nvidia Quadro 770
4Gb 800MHz Ram

or
Apple MBP 15"
2.8 GHz 6MB L2 Cache
512Mb Nvidia GeForce 9600Gt
4Gb 1066MHz Ram

Both have identical price tag price.
I know Nvidia quadro is a lot better graphics card than the geforce for CAD users. On the other hand, MBP is a lot reliabble and stable when comapred to the current Windows OS. So, which do you think is a better deal.
I really need you're opinion.

Collapse -
I have to declare a conflict of interest here,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 2, 2009 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Additional Info

I would not buy a Windows machine at all.

My machine of choice would be the Mac and while you say that the Quadro 770 is the better card for CAD, remember that applies to a Windows machine and not the the Mac machine running Windows.

If you can, pop along to an Apple store and ask the folks there about this dilemma.

P

Collapse -
Clarification
by arreis_email / July 2, 2009 4:04 PM PDT

what do you mean by that mrmacfixit

Collapse -
There were a number of tests done,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 3, 2009 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

using Boot Camp, that showed that the best machine for running Vista was a Mac using Boot Camp.

As to the first part, I think that's reasonably clear

P

Collapse -
Quadro is better for CAD, but only for those who can use it.
by tkessler / July 21, 2009 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Additional Info

The Quadro is built to be feature-rich as opposed to being optimized for speed and efficiency (battery life comes to mind). That's the trade-off between a GPU and it's "Quadro" version. In the case of the "9600" and "770" you're talking the "G96M" chipset. The difference here is somewhat analogous to the difference between a Pentium 4 and a Pentium 4 Xeon...larger caches and more features on the chip, but built around the same architecture.

The main difference specifically is the optimization for speed versus full rendering capabilities, which is enabled in the firmware and drivers for the card. In Quadro cards you are guaranteed to do the full rendering of a scene, at any performance expense. They do not cut corners in the firmware and drivers, but as a result the chip will consume more power and slow down when complex scenes are rendered. For most professional situations this is fine because quality is expected as opposed to real-time rendering.

As such, if you are a graphics designer and absolutely need the features offered by the Quadro (basically the guarantee of full-quality scene rendering), then you will not find that on Apple's laptops (yet?). However, many of the recent advancements in GPU and driver technologies have made the differences less apparent for many uses. For instance, it used to be that the FireGL and Quadro GPUs were the only ones that were fully OpenGL compliant. These days, most GPUs (consumer or "pro") are fully OpenGL compliant because games and home applications demand it.

The real question to ask is what specifically are you doing? If you're just throwing together concept models and simple to moderately complex scenes, then any GPU will do, but if you are rendering a production movie or feature-rich scene, then the Quadro will ensure no speed-optimized corners are cut and you wont run into the potential for clipped textures and non-smoothed surfaces, or similar cut-backs that are usually not noticed in a real-time rendered scene.

Collapse -
That being said...
by tkessler / July 21, 2009 10:43 AM PDT

That being said...I have a new MacBook with a GeForce 9600GT in it, and have not run into any problems with Maya and Modo. Then again, I'm just a novice at those programs and have not done enough rendering to see the obvious differences. The only CAD I've used extensively is Google Sketchup, which barely touches the capabilities of the 9600 itself. Wink

For these uses the 9600GT is perfect, and I do not need the Quadro.

Collapse -
Platform Competence
by sturner--2008 / July 31, 2009 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: That being said...

All that about the graphics card being said, the real question is why go for a laptop when what you are doing seems to indicate the need for a fully competent desktop system instead?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!