Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Graduating From W98SE to WinXP Home. Help!!

I am a perennial Newbie but have got a pretty good handle on W98SE. (With a lot of help from this forum).
I am replacing my 5 1/2 year old PC with a new one with XPHome installed.
Is there an instruction manual that would help me move up to XP? I used the "Dummies" for W95 and W98 but I was distracted by the "wise cracking".
I would prefer a book that assumed I knew absolutely nothing about PC's.
By the way, I am not adverse to trying a "Dummies" book if the consensus is that it is the best way to go.
As always, any advise will be greatly appreciated.

DC

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Graduating From W98SE to WinXP Home. Help!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Graduating From W98SE to WinXP Home. Help!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DC, Sorry, I Haven't Used Any Books

In reply to: Graduating From W98SE to WinXP Home. Help!!

Windows XP's GUI (graphic user interface) is very similar to Windows 98..As a result, I had very little trouble working with something new. Still, if you're looking for assistance in XP, it does have it's own tutorial when you start up plus it has a fairly generous "Help" section.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Some things have been relocated

or had a name change but, most is very similar. You might want to change the look to the classic view to help with the transition. Between this forum, Google and the built-in help section, you shouldn't have any trouble learning XP.

Collapse -
The others are correct. Keep in mind

that many of the books were written by people using the beta version of the software in order to get the book published. The same timing contsraits insure that the books are always behind the power curve.

Help files, these forums, your already excellent expeience, and the use of the MSKB and other MS help.

I didn't change to the classic view, simply to not allow myself to be afraid to learn something new.

But XP has some differences. Maybe read some posts with links to explain Services, which to disable and things such as that.

The XP forum should be a place to solve any problems.

The best news is that you didn't go to ME first. LOL

Collapse -
The very first thing I did

with XP was to right click the Start button, choose Properties, and switch to the classic view. That changes the start menu back to what you are already familiar with when viewing W98. Since XP puts items into 'categories' and groups them together, including on the taskbar, right click it, unlock it, and then change that setting to not use groups. I also changed the Control Panel to be the classic view.

XP has different places now for different things and trying to locate where they are will be much less confusing while you get a feel for using XP. You can always reverse these three simple settings easily, but for me it was easier to use a familiar environment while I got used to how XP does things without frustrating myself even more while learning new locations.

The one I'm actually looking forward to learning is Longhorn....that's supposed to be a whole new animal, so, if you're like me, learn the newest one later and be comfortable with XP now by making just a few changes while you explore the new terrority.

TONI

Collapse -
Books == second thing I bought.

"Microsoft

Collapse -
From W98SE to WinXP Home.

Yes you can make it look like Win98SE. I did that with my first PC with XP. Now I just leave the XP look.
I like the Dummies books beacuse there fun, but since I have a mild form of ADD it works for me.... Ah what were we talking about??? OH yeah! XP. Ther are a lot of things different inside of XP this is where a book comes in handy. John

Collapse -
I'm also a continual newbie DC

I basically am self taught -- thanks to cnet (formerly zd) and our local computer club. I do help teach various computer classes for our club and have for 2 years. I still have W98SE and am hoping to hold on until Longhorne comes out. I've got my fingers, eyes, and legs crossed for good luck (LOL).

I do teach XP at our computer training center and love it. I've haven't switched because my PC is working better than it did when it came home new. That's because I've been afforded the knowledge of how to keep it out of the shop which I gained mainly at our club. I'm a board member there so get to work with the techies. However, nothing is 100% but I really work at keeping my PC clean. Our club prez tells our class members that I probably have the cleanest PC in Bella Vista.

I don't feel intimidated at all by XP and know I would like it. It has many neat features that 98SE doesn't; however, for my needs, 98 is great. I will change eventually, when the need arises and I do understand how support for 98 is going to be a thing of the past.

I'd like to hear how you like XP and will say enjoy your new venture.

Julea

Collapse -
And It Is Greatly Appreciated

Your comments make me feel I have a head start on XP. (I have been avoiding it like the plague but my new PC comes with it so I might as well get on board.)
Toni, I will print your comments and set up for the classic view until I get comfortable.
And Bill (cusorcowboy) I ordered the book. $15.00 for a used one. I guess I need the comfort level of a book.
I have said it before but I can't say enough how much this forum has meant to me. To have people of your stature responding so positively to our questions says a lot for this community.
Thanks.

DC

Collapse -
Up And Running On XP

I made it and it looks like I am going to like XP.
I made one goof. I forgot to make a hard copy of my various and sundry usernames and passwords. Fortunately I rember them for this site. It won't take me long to hook up the old PC and print them but I'll wait a couple of days in case another goof surfaces.
Thanks again, folks.

DC

Collapse -
DC - What kind of PC did you get?

In reply to: Up And Running On XP

I'm going to need to take that plunge one of these days myself and I've been talking, listening, and shopping. I'd love to wait until Longhorne comes out but that just might be a tad long. We'll see. We did have to get a new monitor recently and I'm very pleased with it.

The computer club would like for me to build my own, but I don't think I'm ready to tackle that. However, if I did, I feel I'd have very good help.

Julea

Collapse -
Jules, Here"s Some Info

In reply to: DC - What kind of PC did you get?

I bought an ABS Ultimate V1 20, Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, 512 MB DDR, 80GB, nVidia MX4000. Got it through newegg.com for $699.99. Wasn't keen on going to newegg but they had what I wanted and my "Guru" has done business with them and had no problems.

I am going to install an additional 512 Ram as well as replace the graphics card (don't have the specs on the replacement yet).

I am retiring an old ABS 850MHz which has served me well for 5 1/2 years.

DC

Collapse -
A few ''spots'' of interest. . .

1. The article "Computer Speed and Performance May Decrease (Q310419)" explains - among other things - that running services and programs started automatically when you start your computer typically run all the time and uses a portion of your computer's system resources that cannot be used for any other task. The more used the slower your computer gets -- makes sense.

2. Are unnecessary Counter Logs used? Are they really necessary?

a. Click Start, Programs, Administrative Tools and then click Performance.

b. Double click Performance Logs and Alerts, Counter Logs and note what is listed in the details pane. A green icon indicates that a log is running; a red icon indicates that a log has been stopped.

c. If desired, you may also right-click a blank area of the details pane and click New Log Settings, enter a name for a log to create in the Name box:, and then click OK. Click General, Add, and select the counters wanted too. If you want to change the default file and schedule information, make the changes on the Log Files and Schedule tabs.

d. To remove whatever you wish to circumvent running/logging simple highlight the name of the counter in the legend in the System Monitor details pane and press the Delete key.

3. After Internet Explorer and Internet Tools are installed, the Internet Explorer Customization Wizard can be run to use the wizard's AVS feature to obtain any updated or new components released by Microsoft that have become available since deploying Internet Explorer, which then becomes part of the everyday updated browser package. Do you want this running all the time? The update notification page notification can be turned off using the IEAK Profile Manager:

a. Click Start, Programs (in Windows XP, click All Programs), Microsoft IEAK 6, IEAK Profile Manager.

b. Click File, Open, and then open the .ins file for the custom browser package.

c. On the left side, under Policies and Restrictions, click Internet Settings, Advanced.

d. On the right side, clear the Automatically check for Internet Explorer updates check box.

e. Click File, Save as: and type a name for the file, keeping its .ins file extension.

Note: After disabling, it can still be turned on in the browser. To disable the page completely so it cannot be enable it in the browser, set the Update check interval to a value of zero.

4. Supplemental reading:

a. "Disabling AutoUpdate Service in Control Panel Does Not Shut Down the Service (Q283151)."

b. "Description of the Windows XP Logman.exe, Relog.exe, and Typeperf.exe Tools (Q303133)."

c. "Failure Events Are Logged When the Welcome Screen Is Enabled (Q305822)."

d. "HOW TO: Configure Recovery Techniques in Windows XP (Q307973)", concerning severe errors (also called a fatal system error, or stop error)

e. "HOW TO: Set Performance Options (Q308417)."

f. "HOW TO: Use Computer Management in Windows XP (Q308423)."

g. "HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer (Q308427)."

h. "HOW TO: Set Up Administrative Alerts in Windows XP (Q310490)."

i. "Windows XP May Slow Down If Users Are Logged On with Fast User Switching (Q312058)."

5. After enabling the Run logon scripts synchronously policy setting, Windows directs the system to wait for the logon scripts to finish running before it starts the interface program and creates the desktop and these "Scripts May Not Run Before Windows Explorer Starts Even Though the "Run Logon Scripts Synchronously" Setting is Enabled (Q304970)" and occurs because a logon performance enhancement is enabled by default. This enhancement causes the computer to not wait for Group Policy processing before an environment is initialized.

6. " Services" (click to see an example screenshot) are programs that run when the computer is booted and continue to run as they aid system functionality. You will find many services loaded and are simply not needed which take up memory space and CPU time. Circumventing those unneeded services will free up system resources and speed up overall computer operation.

a. Click Start, Run type services.msc and then press Enter.

b. The Services applet will load listing services currently in session/use. What you have to consider/decide is which service(s) is/are not right for you -- good luck.

c. Please review the topics:

(1) The article "HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP (Q316434)" provides a partial list of core operating system services that load and varies according to the services that are installed and the version of Windows XP used. If automatic events and services constantly run and eat up system resources, perhaps eliminating those consider extraneous and unnecessary could help improve system performance. Remember, they can always be reinstated.

(2) "Default settings for services."

(3) "A Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP (Q314056)."

d. To configure how a service is started:

(1) Open Services and right-click the service to configure, and then click Properties.

(2) On the General tab, in the Startup type box, click either Automatic, Manual, or Disabled.

(3) To specify the user account that the service can use to log on, click the Log On tab, and then do one of the following:

(a) To specify that the service use the LocalSystem account, click Local System account.

(b) To specify that the service use the LocalService account, click This account, and then type NT AUTHORITY\LocalService.

(c) To specify that the service use the NetworkService account, click This account, and then type NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService.

(d) To specify another account, click This account, click Browse, and then specify a user account in the Select User dialog box. When you are finished, click OK.

(e) Type the password for the user account in the Password box and in the Confirm password box, and then click OK.

e. Interesting reading:

? "System Services for the Windows Server 2003 Family and Windows XP Operating Systems." Read the topic "Workstations" specifically, and if it is not needed, disable.

? "Black Viper's Windows XP Services Configurations."

? "Windows XP Tweaking Guide - VIA/Arena."

f. Please note, that if a service runs for catalog indexing such as Cidaemon.exe that is discussed in the Win2k article [Q156756], further discussed in [Q308202] for both Win2k and WinXP, it is suggested that some testing be conducted to perhaps check whether certain services are necessary and used only after you read the article, "HOW TO: Use Computer Management in Windows XP (Q308423)."

7. If you have thousands of files on your computer, you may speed up your searches by turning on the "Indexing Service" to run in the background (the equivolant of FastFind previously used on older Windows systems which everybody learned to do without). If you don't have thousands of documents to search through, you're unlikely to benefit much from indexing. Please note that if the number of documents is large, insufficient memory will seriously affect performance. You can also improve performance by adding more memory and increasing the amount of memory dedicated to mapping the property cache. A faster CPU and hard drive improves the performance of indexing and the speed of processing queries as well.

a. From My Computer, right-click the hard drive and select Properties.

b. Note the entry at the bottom labeled "Allow indexing service to index this disk for faster searches".

c. Uncheck the box and then click OK.

d. An applet will pop-up prompting whether to apply this option to all folders and subfolders.

8. A "memory leak occurs" when a memory pool allocates some of its memory to a process and the process does not return the memory. When this happens repeatedly, the memory pool is depleted, [Q130926]. Are there any on your system which create this anomaly?

9. The "System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG.EXE) (Q310560) can be used to prevent unnecessary items from loading when a system is started (Click here to see an example screenshot).

Note: If you change any startup setting by using System Configuration Utility, the following message appears the next time you log on to the system:

? You have used the System Configuration Utility to change the way Windows starts.

? The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

? Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

10. Hint: It is not necessary for a user to log off the computer since a user's account is always logged on and the user can switch quickly between all open accounts. For example, Dad comes home and starts using his machine. He opens Microsoft PowerPoint

Collapse -
DC, BEFORE Internet: Windows XP Need Protection

Collapse -
Thanks Grif and Cursorcowboy

In reply to: DC, BEFORE Internet: Windows XP Need Protection

because I have heeded past advice offered by you and others on this forum I was well prepared when my new computer arrive. I haven't tagged all of the bases but I have hit the major ones and will get to all of them shortly.
BTW, Grif, remember my past problem with icon legends etc? (http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=97111&messageID=1177019)
The new PC proves it was definitely problem with the old one. In fact it was one of a few indicators that led me to purchasing a new one.

Thanks all,

DC

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Dana, Good Job And Have Fun Computing !

In reply to: Thanks Grif and Cursorcowboy

Collapse -
Excellent book DC for learning XP

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.