Gpu/Driver issues

I have run into an EXTREMELY frustrating issue today. I was re arranging
the way the fan were set up in my case along with re applying paste to
my cpu. I put the GPU and RAM aside so they wouldnt get bumped,
and after putting it back together it kept booting and restarting on its
own, so I took out ram, remounted the card, etc untill it finally it booted
but with no video... I started getting desperate so I reset the CMOS and
the video then worked... however with an error

As soon as I sign in on windows it freezes around 5 times (usually wth funny colors) giving me the
error the driver has stopped responding and has recovered and then the
pc goes to a black screen... Ive tried it on safe mode and it works
there with no issues... I just dont understand and its breaking me down.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Gpu/Driver issues
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Gpu/Driver issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like the failing GPU issue.

But no make or model or much about this PC so I can't tell you if it's one of the usual known failures.

Tell more.
Bob

- Collapse -
More info

This is a self-built/maintained computer with a MSI GTX 460 and an intel core i5 760 cpu using a CM 212 hyper+ cooler

I have 2 sticks of 4gb ddr3 ram and an MSI p55a-g55 motherboard

- Collapse -
An update

I popped in an old card I am trying to sell to see if it would work (was too lazy to do so yesterday) and it is working now... Looks like an RMA is my next step and I think I will keep this card around for times like this

- Collapse -
Check and verify

Sometimes the GPU fan(if on card) can be cleaned and plugged-in, etc. and see if that helps. Also, clean that GPU fan itself. Make sure the fan is running at norm. speeds, but get jerky or erratic operation for various reasons, just verify. Make darn sure the GPU is fully seated in its slot as well and/or locked-in.

CNET Forums