Computer Help forum

Question

GPT partition problem

by magexzu / March 1, 2014 4:37 PM PST

I have an ASUS x550v ,which came preinstalled with bloatware so i wanted to clean install windows 8,i disabled the secureboot and started the installation ,i formatted the drive where the windows with bloatware was ,but the next button was greyed out saying that i cannot install windows there because it is of GPT style. If i try to repair it ,it stays in a repair loop with something about a file :SrtTrail.txt.
There is 1 partition with serveral volumes ,of which 1 includes the recovery image. Will i be able to convert the GPT to MBR if i delete the partition ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GPT partition problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GPT partition problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tro install Windows 8 I never had to disable secure boot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2014 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: GPT partition problem

And what you noted can happen.

Before we start I hope you created the stock restore media since so few can clean install Windows (any version) today. You shake your head as they ask you for drivers or don't know about helper apps.

--> I'll get to how to fix in a moment. But helper apps that turn on/off WiFi are NOT bloatware. We can clean off bloatware in about 5 minutes at no cost.

How do I fix this one? I boot up a GPARTED CD and delete the partitions to give it a clean start.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Nice typo there Bob. I meant "To install"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2014 1:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
If you use the recovery disks
by glb613 / March 2, 2014 1:33 AM PST

you made or bought from the company, the original configuration will include the factory install bloatware.

Collapse -
So you're saying
by itsdigger / March 2, 2014 1:37 AM PST

that you didn't create the restore media ? tsk tsk tsk

Better to have the computer with a little factory bloat than no computer without bloat.

Order the media , at least you can fix your mistakes than

Digger

Collapse -
Overdone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2014 1:42 AM PST

There are folk that can't stand the helper apps either. I've lost count of folk that blow up a new PC, flame everyone about not knowing how to install drivers after they didn't make restore media.

Look! It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to clean it up. But hey, your time and Franklins.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Here's what I'd do
by wpgwpg / March 2, 2014 2:15 AM PST

GPT and the UEFI replacement for the legacy BIOS are a brave new world with a whole lot of new variables. Even if you know everything there is to know about formatting and Windows 7 and earlier, you're into a whole lot of new variables that's going to be a big learning experience for us all. One thing you need to know; if your hard drive is larger than 2.2 TB, you have to format it GPT to access it all.
`
That said, I'd do exactly what others have said and get those reset discs from Asus, restore back to factory conditions, then use the Programs and Features applet of the Control Panel to uninstall the bloatware. The uninstalls don't take that long and are the safest way to get rid of the bloatware. This will probably take 2-3 hours, but if I did it this way, I'd be sure I knew what I was doing. I don't know about you, but I'm going to let GPT and UEFI alone while enough people learn about it and resolve whatever new quirks it might have.
`
I've bought two desktops and a laptop in the last two years, and used the Programs & Features applet to uninstall the bloatware. It's safe and easy; and it doesn't take that long to do.
`
Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.