General discussion

GPS with no Data plan

Hi,
I'm looking to get a smartphone with GPS capabilities but I'm cheap and I don't want to pay for a data plan. I know that the phone with have to have a stand-alone gps and not a-gps but past that i'm a bit lost. What cell phones have stand along gps and how would I get the gps to work?

Much appreciated.
Ben

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: GPS with no Data plan
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: GPS with no Data plan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Nokia is really your only choice

Look at either the unlocked/unbranded Nokia E72, C6 or E5-00. All offer GPS in combination with the free Nokia Ovia Maps Navigation software you can download for free if it's not already included on the handset. They load the maps/data locally and also give you turn by turn directions. All you need is a clear sky while running the Ovia maps app- no data plan is required, so you could go either pre-paid or post-paid since ATT or T-Mobile doesn't sell that particular model.

Example product search using froogle-
http://www.google.com/products?q=nokia+c6&aq=f

- Collapse -
Is there a reason Nokia is my only choice?

Thank you very much for the quick response.

OK, so Nokia allows its phones to pinpoint locations via the satellites only. Aside from the E72, C6 and the E5-00 do other Nokia phones such as the N97 have this ability as well?

Thanks
Ben

- Collapse -
Free GPS on smartphones w/o a data plan is not common

That's the primary reason why Nokia is the only really good option if you want a single device w/ no data plan and not a separate phone & standalone GPS unit. Throw in the fact that most of Nokia handsets are GSM based and you end up with a smaller pool of options yet since half of the U.S. uses CDMA. GSM/UMTS limits you to either ATT/T-MO and only non-CDMA handsets.

The N97 would probably work too, but double check the Nokia sub-forum @ Howardforums.com for more specifics. The only requirement is that it have GPS and have an operating system that is compatible with the current version of the free Ovia maps application.

- Collapse -
N97 mini is working with free GPS without data plan

Mine is a N97 mini, it is working. I compared with my Tomtom GPS, it is comparable except the screen is small.

- Collapse -
Been down that road.

I ended up with a regular GPS unit. If you notice the speed and features are there in the GPS units as well as most makers giving up free maps for life.

But if you insist, if you can find the right SIM GSM card, those Pharos GPS cell phones might be an option. Yes, I own a m619.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info