Phones forum

General discussion

GPS, PDA, or pocketPC? Geez louise 8)

Trying to wade through the mountin of reviews makes it difficult to guess what would be best. I hope some smart cookies around can point me in a better direction.

A friend and I do pickups and drop-offs in the San Francisco bay area, and we're discussing how to improve how we operate. Which, amongst the 3 types of gadgets is suitable?

What features would be helpfull, that would have street maps of all the cities and towns in the area, with the means of downloading a database of address's, so that, if I go to a town, all the locations of contacts nearby show up, that by clicking on, will bring up details about the contact that I can modify.

If it would have the means of playing mp3 files, that would be an added bonus, so I could hook it up to my car and listen to Mozart and Bach, without depending on the local station, which doesn't reach some of the places I drive to.

Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GPS, PDA, or pocketPC? Geez louise 8)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GPS, PDA, or pocketPC? Geez louise 8)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try this

In reply to: GPS, PDA, or pocketPC? Geez louise 8)

the Palm Tungsten E2 comes in a GPS package from palm, you can listen to music (realplayer fro palm included,nice software), you can get directions, and organize your day, also watch movies and look at photos maybe play a video game.

bigboy

Collapse -
GPS, PDA, or pocketPC? Geez louise 8)

In reply to: try this

Thanks for the help.

As far as the GPS devices go, are you able to incorporate databases of address's so that you can see them marked off on the map, so that I can keep my contacts updated as to what I'm getting out to them?

Do they require a monthly fee?

Collapse -
Actually, I'm looking for a cell phone that does all of that

In reply to: GPS, PDA, or pocketPC? Geez louise 8)

With Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PCs, you can play songs and videos, plus install the GPS software for the San Fran area, plus synchronize your contacts with a computer at the office (updated by your dispatcher), plus use the phone when you need it.

Of course, there is a monthly fee as well, but at least it's packaged so the functions work neatly together.

Cingular has some devices like this, as does a carrier called Helio, but I have only started my research. Verizon is not international, so they are disqualified. T-Mobile has some devices that might work as well. Nextel signal quality is poor in my area (Birmingham, Alabama).

Do you have a cell phone sales person you can contact? It sure would be nice to have a magic box on my hip that does more than ring, don't you agree?? Happy

-Woody Fairley

Collapse -
would be nice!

In reply to: Actually, I'm looking for a cell phone that does all of that

Yeah, having that in a cell phone would be the bees knees. But in my circumstances, would be more hassle than anything. I have to use the cell phone provided by the office, I couldn't afford it otherwise. Any device that doesn't require a monthly fee is preferable.

I guess there's nothing for a handheld, that would resemble a map program that you install on your average desktop?

I hope I have a chance to run by one of the tech stores soon. The web is limited in a way.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.