Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

GPO issues help required (XP)

Right here goes.
Sorry about the length

We are currently upgrading our stores to xp and have a slight issue with a USB scanner. We have installed document scanners onto one till in every store via USB so far so good; all of our tills have 4 usb ports. The issue we have is that to install the scanner the tills have to be logged in as admin because of restrictions within our store GPO, this means that if when logged in as the store the scanner is removed and put in another USB port the scanner will not be detected because the appropriate rights are not assigned. To get round this I have edited the GPO to allow the stores group to install drivers but now obviously they can install anything USB they like such as flash cards mp3 players etc.

I need to be able to log in as the stores with the GPO applied and freely unplug the scanner and move to other ports and have it detected in all of them but at the same time not allow installation of any other devices. Any advice welcome

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GPO issues help required (XP)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GPO issues help required (XP)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: GPO issues help required (XP)

In reply to: GPO issues help required (XP)

Grant the right, move the scanner to each port and let it setup. Then revoke the right.

We had to and continue to have to do this with Microsoft Office to this very day. Microsoft doesn't have a tool to deal with this issue in a good way.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: GPO issues help required (XP)

I have tested this and it does work but applying this to 1000's of pcs will be extremley time consuming and costly. There must be a reg change made in current user when these changes are applied if i can find that then it can be incorporated into a login script any ideas?

Collapse -

Absolutely. You can use REGISTRY and/or FILE WATCHER tools from http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml then incorporate such into your rollout.

Looks like you should also call Microsoft about this. With 1,000 machines your time is valuable and maybe they have some unpublished tool to deal with this.

Bob

Collapse -

Thanks a lot for all the help v useful i will see what microsoft have to say

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.