Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Government computers used to find information on JTP

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/10/24/joe.html?sid=101

"State and local officials are investigating if state and law-enforcement computer systems were illegally accessed when they were tapped for personal information about "Joe the Plumber."

Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher became part of the national political lexicon Oct. 15 when Republican presidential candidate John McCain mentioned him frequently during his final debate with Democrat Barack Obama.
--------------
Public records requested by The Dispatch disclose that information on Wurzelbacher's driver's license or his sport-utility vehicle was pulled from the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles database three times shortly after the debate.

Information on Wurzelbacher was accessed by accounts assigned to the office of Ohio Attorney General Nancy H. Rogers, the Cuyahoga County Child Support Enforcement Agency and the Toledo Police Department.

It has not been determined who checked on Wurzelbacher, or why. Direct access to driver's license and vehicle registration information from BMV computers is restricted to legitimate law enforcement and government business.
-----------------
Nice.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Government computers used to find information on JTP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Government computers used to find information on JTP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I guess the innuendo is that

In reply to: Government computers used to find information on JTP

...... this was a Democrat dirty trick because the governor is a Democrat. However, the House has been in Republican control for 14 years,

I think that drivers license information is a matter of public record, as is much of the information cited in the article. Being behind in taxes or other kegal obligations certainly is where I live. It used to just be a matter of going to the courthouse and knowing where to look. My guess is it takes a lot less time now via the computer.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Innuendo? Where do you get that?

In reply to: I guess the innuendo is that

It's a news report. Don't you think it's a little odd? Why is someone accessing this information at this point and WHO is doing it?

Is it a coincidence that the hit pieces against Joe a started right after the debate? Same time as this incident?

Public record?

Direct access to driver's license and vehicle registration information from BMV computers is restricted to legitimate law enforcement and government business.

Imagine the uproar if this was being done by the Bush Administration.

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: Innuendo? Where do you get that?

I think that drivers license information is a matter of public record, as is much of the information cited in the article.

Public record?

Direct access to driver's license and vehicle registration information from BMV computers is restricted to legitimate law enforcement and government business.

Yes, public record

Locate driving License records

Accessing them from BMV computers is something different.

The information is Public Record.
Collapse -
The article is about possible unlawful access....

In reply to: Response

to government computers.

Collapse -
Unlawful access to government computers

In reply to: The article is about possible unlawful access....

I agree, and that is what I said.

Angie mentioned on Public Record

You focused on "Public Record"

I showed it was "Public Record" and available to anyone with the proper resources/access OR money to buy the service.

Collapse -
Again...

In reply to: Unlawful access to government computers

Again, if any citizen could easily find out some information all by himself, why was it done through inquiries initiated through government accounts, rather than easy civilian access route?

Collapse -
Okay, to clarify....

In reply to: Unlawful access to government computers

I wasn't focusing on "public record", but rather questioning Angie's use of the term, since the article was about unlawful access to computers.

Whether the information is public record or not is not relevant. They may have been (probably were) fishing for other information that was NOT public record. Or maybe they didn't KNOW it was public record. No one says criminals have to be smart.

Collapse -
Will those records show...

In reply to: Response

Will those records show the type of vehicle he drives or any tickets he has received? Searches of government computers by authorized people can do so.

Collapse -
Tell me what you find here

In reply to: Will those records show...

Collapse -
Remember...

In reply to: Tell me what you find here

Remember, I don't have one for physical reasons.

Collapse -
(NT) put the name of someone with a license

In reply to: Remember...

Collapse -
How do you...

In reply to: I guess the innuendo is that

How do you explain the access by Cuyahoga County Child Support Enforcement Agency? The story said "Mary Denihan, spokeswoman for the county agency, said the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services contacted the agency today and requested an investigation of the access to Wurzelbacher's information. Cuyahoga County court records do not show any child-support cases involving Wurzelbacher.".
Angeline, why look for something that does not even exist 48 hours after he became known to the public? 3 different searches through different agencies 48 hours after Joe got press coverage, and you would have us believe that it wasn't a search for "dirt" on him.
If such information is a simple matter of looking at the public record if a citizen wanted to know, why would a curious citizen or member of the press even have access to an account used by the Cuyahoga County Child Support Enforcement Agency, let alone use it for a search for information you say is freely available to the public straight out?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.