Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Got WinXP SP3 with library access, FlashDrive, Got Brontok

by Darrell / October 12, 2008 1:07 AM PDT

Virus so tossed out the flash drve after removing all in there. Tried to put it into quarentine using AVG Free Antivirus, Spybot S&D 1.6.00, Ad-Aware 7.10.11 and tried Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.35.178, it was still there but in the U3 Folder of scandisk cruzon 4 gb. Since the others were secure, it was ok to tossed it out. I can always buy another. Darrell
PS- I even formatted that drive and 5 folders were deleted, still showed that BRONTOK was still there. Tried it later and all was deleted but not BRONTOK Virus

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Got WinXP SP3 with library access, FlashDrive, Got Brontok
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Got WinXP SP3 with library access, FlashDrive, Got Brontok
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i had the same problem yesterday
by jonah jones / October 12, 2008 5:17 PM PDT

brand new (3 months) SanDisk Cruzer

out of the box and AVG popped up with a Brontok.LG warning
it was in the Launchpad.zip and launchU3.exe files

AVG said "unable to delete/heal/move to vault"
XP refused to format the drive/s

so i downloaded the remove launchU3 from here

How do I uninstall U3 from my flash drive

Most U3 smart drives come with an uninstall utility that converts the U3 smart drive into a regular USB flash drive. This utility can be accessed from the U3 Launchpad. Open the U3 Launchpad and click on Settings, then select U3 Launchpad Settings and click on the Uninstall tab. Some devices have a link to the Uninstall utility under Help and Support.

If you can not find the uninstall utility on your U3 smart drive you can download it from the following locations:
Remove U3
U3 removal tool for MAC

once removed format was easy and i now have a 4G USB drive ready to go (if you remember where you tossed it...;-))

life is interesting

jona

Collapse -
I went to the library and I met some who had the same item-
by Darrell / October 13, 2008 7:46 AM PDT

I know mine was a micron scandisk cruzer usb 4GB but he has an antivirus built into his. Maybe the one I bought was cheap so it may have been an earlier one!! He has U3 in his also. Think I will be looking for a larger PNY Flashdrive since they are blank and will be more reasonable since the U3 nor any folders are in it. Darrell L

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!