Resolved Question

Got the PSU--STILL Having Issues

Hey, Folks,

I posted earlier, re. whether or not to purchase a custom tower. After receiving a "Yes--with reservations" and making some changes with the builder, I purchased the tower. Only to immediately have problems with what I thought was the NVidia Graphics Card: upon installing the drivers, it would constantly quit, then restart, then, finally, freeze or blue screen the computer.

I posted a second time, here and elsewhere, with the specs of the adjusted build, and again received advice from several sources, advising that the PSU, a Raidmax 500-watt Power Supply (which in fact turned out to be a 450W PSU) might well be the problem. Okay, actually, it was pretty universally hated, so, I replaced it.

Here are tower's the new specs:

PROCESSOR: Intel Core I5-2320 Sandy Bridge 3.0GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Boost) 1MB L2 Cache & 6MB L3 Cache Socket LGA 1155 Quad-Core Processor

MOTHERBOARD: Biostar H61MGC LGA 1155 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

4 x Rear USB 2.0 ports

2 x PCI-E x1 Slot

VIDEO: PNY Nvidia Geforce 430 GT (Fermi) 1GB DDR3 128-bit PCI Express Graphics Card

1xVGA Port, 1xDVI Port, 1xHDMI Port

Core Clock: 700Mhz

Shader Clock: 1400Mhz

MEMORY: 8GB (2x4gb) Team Elite DDR3 1333 Gaming/High Performance RAM

HARD DRIVE: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 16MB Cache

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit (my copy)

OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung Multiformat DVD Burner

2xUSB Ports, 2xAudio Ports

POWER SUPPLY: Corsair CX500 V2 80-Plus Bronze 500-Watt

MONITOR: BenQ GW2450 24" LCD

I installed the new power supply, and I must say the computer is running 100% better. It boots really fast, shuts down really fast, gets where I want it to go really fast.

When I installed the NVidia drivers, everything was fine... right up until the moment I plugged in my WD 1.5TB external hard drive.

When I did that, the v-card immediately began to repeatedly quit, then restart--three or four times in less than 5 minutes. Not illogically, I disconnected the external drive (which my laptop has no problem handling at all)--but the v-card continued to quit/start, though less frequently.

Then, about fifteen minutes ago, it froze, then blue-screened with a notice that the video card could not recover before Windows "timed out."

So the question is: What the heck is going on? Could it actually be possible that these specs, with the addition of an external drive, could be too much for the PSU? Or is it likely the card? Could there be something amiss with the mobo?

That last seems unlikely, since I haven't had a single crash with the onboard v-card... though the computer positively hates my SIIG Soundwave 7.1 USB sound card and freezes for a full five minutes if I click to get into its control panel.

So, what's my logical next step?

Discussion is locked
mskae1111 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Got the PSU--STILL Having Issues
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Got the PSU--STILL Having Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Possible faults

The builder may have very well sent you a working PC provided you "added" those ext. USB devices when it arrived, etc.. That is an added burden but it should have worked. Your comment on the SiiG soundcard does provide a clue if still connected. Remove it, if so at least during the testing. If your Biostar mtrbd. has audio on-board disable it via the bios setting. You do have a better PSU BUT!!! you remained with 500W unit. You should have upped the ante and gotten more due to your past problems. Let's be clear, better PCs now have 700W PSUs or better maybe a 650W or similar. The point being you don't want to stress the PSU to its upper tolerances even a good one. I suggest you use the rear USB ports. If the ext. USB devices are powered by USB port, find a powered ext. USB hub. Just how many USB devices are attached, don'e exclude any mouse, etc.. the whole USB list. Is the video card cooled by fan or totally quiet type with heatsink only? Have you applied any bios updates? Place a household fan to open case and try to run it? Goto Intel and check for any Sandy bridge issues, yours maybe an older CPU even if i5 type.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cougar-point-recall-sata-6gbps,2896.html

tada ------Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Solved the Problem

Actually, I solved the problem by packing up the tower, with an eye toward sending it back to the builder for a refund first thing Monday morning. The builder/seller, bless his heart, has been incredibly helpful, but the tower just wasn't working.

The fact that the computer runs perfectly well, so long as I don't add that "one last thing," made me consider the idea that this issue may not have anything to do with the PSU or the Video Card, but something underlying. Truly the number of items I use shouldn't take up more than a absolute maximum of 325W, or so I've been told. In any event, my work has reached a stage where I have no more time I can spend testing and trying things to make a tower that should have worked out of the box actually work.

At this point, I am debating whether or not to build a box myself, since I still have the Corsair (by the way, it turns out that the Raidmax was actually 450W, not 500). I could return it, get a refund and look at buying a higher watt PSU, but the cost of both sending back the tower and having a 15% "restocking fee" chunked out of the PSU return is going to put a dent in what I can build at this point. I've suddenly gone from having between $650 and $700 to work with, to $550 to $600.

NOT how I was planning to spend my little birthday windfall, let me tell you...

Anyway, I'm still looking to buy/create a tower that will put up with some fairly extensive video and graphics work--and which can be upgraded as time goes on. It doesn't have to be the fastest (though I do want it to be pretty :-D ); it just has to work when I turn it on and have the nerve to want to access the storage drive, run Firefox, and watch a video at the same time.

- Collapse -
Last suggestion

Since the PC is going back and you may build your own. I offer that you look at "bare bones or white box" PC. basically, it's the PC case and what's inside only. The whole package depends on what's inside is already a match for what should work. You "add" the final items to complete the PC system. There is also just the mtrbd. and cpu setups for sale as well, you then finish it with the remaining items. Again, the pairing of cpu and mtrbd. is good to go setup.

Sorry for your last PC, it happens. ------Willy Happy

CNET Forums