Desktops forum

General discussion

Got my refurbished emachines T6212, now....

by chiltonj / July 15, 2005 1:12 AM PDT

Just got in for $499. Everything looks great so far. I added a ATI Radeon x800 XL PCIe, and that is working great (wish that card had 2 DVI ports though). Got 2 x 1GB 400DDR PC3200 memory sticks. Haven't received just yet. The MOBO appears to be MSI. Logitech Z-2300 speakers are on the way also.

Now for the fun stuff:
I am going to swap the hard drive with the two other drives from my older computer. I am going to move my ATI HDTV tuner from the old computer to the T6212.

Several questions:
1. Do I need additional PS wattage? The one in the box is 300W (or 350, I forgot but I am pretty sure it is 300)
2. Sounds like I can't overclock the PC but can I overclock my ATI graphics card?
3. What happens to the integrated memory set aside for the graphics now that I have my own card?
4. I can merge two monitors together using the DVI and VGA port on the ATI card but the quality drops (1280x???) instead of 1920x1200. Is there any way possible that I can have the two monitors setup on the same machine and use one screen for the PC and use the other screen for TV viewing?
5. With 4 slots for memory, I am hoping that I can throw the 2 sticks of 1GB with the other 2 slots that are filled with 2 x 256 for a total of 3GB???

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Got my refurbished emachines T6212, now....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Got my refurbished emachines T6212, now....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hmm
by AKonny47 / July 15, 2005 1:31 AM PDT

1. YES you do need to buy a new power supply. x800xls require at least 350w. look at antec, ocz, or enermax.
2. NO you cannot oc your cpu, YES you can the gpu. i used ATi tool, free download, for easy oc.
3. it shouldn't decrease any memory from your main memory if you have your onboard graphics disabled. check your system properties to make sure.
4. yes you can use two monitors. thats all i know for that ? lol
5. just stick with 2 sticks of 1GB. dual channel will do the rest Happy

konny

Collapse -
Thanks Konny
by chiltonj / July 15, 2005 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: hmm

How do I know which PSU I should get? Do I need additional cooling?

I could always go to 4GB of RAM Happy

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / July 15, 2005 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Konny

Doubt you need additional cooling, you could get any psu with the proper number of pins in your mobo. Get something with at least 18A on +12V. 400watt or higher. As for whther it'll fit, i dk, you might want to take measurements
Roger

Collapse -
no additional cooling will be needed
by AKonny47 / July 15, 2005 11:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Konny

"How do I know which PSU I should get?"

what damasta55r said and make sure it is an ATX power supply. i believe emachine has a regular ATX power supply so that should be fine. look for dual fans and or one 120mm fans inside the psu. this will prolong the life of it and also help remove heat from your case so that you dont need additional cooling.

personally, i recomend this model, as its in my machine now and has been running with NO problems for over 5 months now.
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=20480

also check enermax and ocz, but the above would be my choice.(bestbuy, newegg, and frys carry this)

konny

Collapse -
No need for a PSU
by lilShortZaznXboi / July 16, 2005 3:25 PM PDT
In reply to: hmm

If you're planning to stick with your Current Processor you don't need a new PSU. The X800XL Uses very low energy (like 60watts). go check out the X800XL online. My Friend has a 250watt(or 270Watt cheap PSU) PSU; he got an X800 overclocked with a 3500+ and 768RAM, no cooling except CPU/Heatsink, 1 double layer cd/dvd combo and last but not least, a 120GB HD. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. His computer doesn't get very hot, sometimes very warm.

Google the X800XL yourself and find out.

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / July 17, 2005 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: No need for a PSU

An X800 is different from the x800xl. Suggest you get at least 350watts. If you have very little things to powere, you may get away with it.

Collapse -
Over Clock
by daddyo58 / July 15, 2005 11:16 PM PDT

You need memory that can handle over clocking otherwise you can burn out the sticks as well as fry the cpu. Also if you are going to replace the HD Drive go with a SATA Drive and set up a raid system using EID HD

Collapse -
HD Replacement - Problems
by chiltonj / July 16, 2005 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Over Clock

Well, I wish I had a different drive. I ghosted my old drive to the emachines installed drive (Seagate 160MB) and now I get a hal.dll missing error when the PC boots up. I tried just copying the new hal.dll overwriting the hal.dll but no luck. Should of expected this. I don't want to do a new install of Windows because I don't have the disks and don't have CD's for most of my apps.

I tried editing the boot.ini file but no luck there either.

Any suggestions?

Collapse -
I got that Problem Differently Hal.dll
by lilShortZaznXboi / July 16, 2005 3:29 PM PDT

I have a T2542 (don't laugh), ran disk clean up with every thing selected and after a restart, i can't boot but restore my computer using the CD that was supplied. (I did exactly the CNET weekend Project told me)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?