The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Got my first speeding-ticket need help

by mikalhook / February 8, 2009 9:34 PM PST

I was driving in Arlington TX when some cop on his motor bike pulls me over and tells me I was speeding. Well telling him that it was my first time... he takes my information and hands me a $178 ticket.

This is my first time and I need help.

a) can I get it off my record with no points

b) Will they lower my fee if I tell them im taking DD

c) should I take it online?

d) are there any other hidden fees I need to pay ( like court fees etc)

Any help would be great!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Got my first speeding-ticket need help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Got my first speeding-ticket need help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by FrankQC / February 10, 2009 8:34 PM PST

Just pay for what you've done. You know the speed limits. It's your responsibility to drive safe and within those restrictions.

Now that you know how it feels like to pay $178, chances are you won't do it again? Silly

Collapse -
Reply "Got my first speeding-ticket need help"
by paulmartin143 / February 10, 2009 9:18 PM PST

If you take DD, you CAN get it off your record. Your insurance company MAY lower your fee...make sure you get both a COURT and INSURANCE copy of the DD completion certificate.

You will need to pay court fees. As far as taking it online, it's really up to you: would you rather take the course at your own pace, or just take it in one day and get it over with?

____
Irving speeding ticket.

Collapse -
Better solution on the speeding ticket
by boomerang2me / February 12, 2009 11:20 AM PST
Collapse -
Try beating it this way
by ndlicht--2008 / February 15, 2009 1:32 PM PST

1. Check the signing closest to the spot before where you wer pulled over. The signs must conform to the uniform manual on traffic control devices in color and size to be enforced. If it does not, the ticket can be challanged on the sign not being standardize and therefore not legal as a notifyer ot enforcement too.

I beat a ticket this way on the Mass pike. It resulted in changing every exit speed sign on the entire pike as a result

2. Was the officer parked perpendicular to the road? Ask that in court. If so, point out that the office had to look towards oncomming traffic prior to entering the roadway to go after you. He could not have kept you in sight at all times so he could not be sure that it was you and not another vehicle just like your that violated the speed limit- Thats also normally required.
3. Was it night time. If so, check the visibility of the sign's reflective value. If its severely washed out, its beyond its stated life and non enforceable as well.

Plead not guilty and go to magistrates hearing or court with appropriate pictures and a copy of the Manual on Uniform traffic control devices- approprite paragraphs and example signs. Use it as evidence and show your non standard signs. They are not normally sustainable re writing tickets against them if not in accordance with the manual.

Also, the officer isuing the ticket must be present in court or at the hearing to answer your innocent plea and for you to ask questions. Not appearing is usually grounds for dismissal of the case and you should ask for a dismissal since you could not "confront your accuser" as the law allows.

Neil Licht

Collapse -
Use a lawyer
by dshipp28760 / February 21, 2009 7:06 AM PST

First let me vent about the first answer. Speeding is not what causes issues on highways!!!!! If it were the cop chasing you should not have been speeding either. If we wanted to make driving safer, we would prosecute people who follow less than three seconds behind the car in front. Speed is easy to measure, more accidents are blamed on speed even though the driver actually dozed off or was distracted, and if there had been more space between cars, there would likely have been time to recover. now;
You can fight the ticket and likely win after spending three trips and your time in the court room. You will still likly have to pay court fees and lots of time. In most states lawyers will be contacting you because they like to make money chasing cops and ambulances. Pick one of these lawyers spiel. Let him know this is your first ticket. You will pay a court fee, but you will not have any insurance increase due to points on your license. Also the lawyer will handle most every thing with out you having to spend any time except the phone call. Consider it a road tax and move on. Unless Americans start paying attention to voting, you won't be able to beat the system, you can only work with it. You might join prepaid lawyers so next time life throws you a curve, you will already have a lawyer. Oh and good luck.

Collapse -
uhm
by FrankQC / February 21, 2009 7:09 AM PST
In reply to: Use a lawyer

The fees added together.. wouldn't that cost more than actually paying for your ticket?

Collapse -
Hidden fees.
by dshipp28760 / February 21, 2009 8:41 AM PST
In reply to: uhm

FrankQC; Either you are very young, hardly ever drive any where or are extremely lucky. In any event, you have never had a speeding ticket that you pled guilty to. In most states, your insurance costs for the next five years (some places longer) will far exceed the cost of the lawyer. Of course there are fifty states and I have only had tickets in about three of them. Maybe Texas insurance is more lenient. ( I doubt it) Where I'm from, even if the total cost, which I believe would be excessive, is two hundred dollars, it would be a bargain compared to having points on your license. If you are a truck drive, in a lot of places A speeding ticket on your license will also cost your job. don't believe the system is out there to help you, never plead guilty. Don't believe me, ask O.J. Simpson. In my opinion, avoid points on your licence at any cost. Never appologise, never indicate you did any thing wrong, never plead guilty, always be curteous, but never indicate you give permission for any thing. Always refuse to let an officer intimidate you or search you, your vehicle or your home, except after you stress you strongly object to the search and you ask if you can call your lawyer first. for more insight, You might check out some of the videos on norml.com for examples of police officers trying to do what they believe is right for them, and to make a good impression at work, possibly get a raise. They are not working to help the public, but rather to support their own families. Unfortunatly most citizens of the United States don't realize the freedoms we have lost in the name of protecting us. but then this was my short answer.

Collapse -
Haha
by FrankQC / February 21, 2009 8:46 AM PST
In reply to: Hidden fees.

I'm pretty young: 18
I never drive
When I drive I watch for the speed limit
Residence: Canada

haha

Collapse -
fight it your self
by dshipp28760 / February 21, 2009 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: uhm

Of course I am assuming the individule has a job and doesn't want to loose time at work. If you have no money, and all the time in the world, you can probably beat the ticket with no lawyers fee, but you will be luck to do better than that and will likely only save fifty dollars. I have accomplished that simply by not admitting any thing and by insisting I was not guilty. If you were speeding but did not realize you were speeding, you are not guilty. Guilty does not mean you found out after the fact, that you had done something wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilty

Collapse -
question about an out of state ticket
by almax91 / July 7, 2009 12:08 AM PDT

i am an 18 year old male and received my first ever ticket. it was for doing 42 in a 25. however, i am a nj driver (insurance, license, etc..) all is from nj and the ticket was in pa. i have a few questions. i plan to just pay the fine and plead guilty and have that be that. i was wondering what happens to my insurance since this is an out of state traffic violation. please help.

Collapse -
1st speeding ticket
by newzjunque / July 25, 2009 5:25 AM PDT

Put ticket in a safe place and answer as late as possible. In VT if the cop doesn't show you win by default and hearing is typically 6mo hence from stop.

Sometimes the cop will lower it if you're real nice, say you're sorry and remind it was first time...but watch it! If he catches you again-not so easy.

In VT it is cheaper to pay - if you go to court there are small fees and ticket goes up a little.

I have asked to make payments and court was real good about it.

You can always ask the judge for leniency and since it was first time he may ask cop to lower it. Good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?