General discussion

Got it down to 2! Please Help

Looking for a 17"+ laptop and spending <$550 . . . preferably a DELL. If I was a little more tech savvy perhaps I'd know which of these two are a better deal. Alas, unfortunately I'm not. I was leaning towards laptop #2 but I definitely dislike that it has Vista. Any help it greatly appreciated or if somebody knows of a better deal somewhere feel free to pass it on. Thanks So Much . . .

PS The price for each is $499

Laptop 1 (Refurbished)
Dell Studio 1737 Refurbished Notebook PC - Intel Pentium T3400 2.16GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, DVDRW, 17" WXGA+, Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Display Type: WXGA+ Liquid Crystal Display

Screen Size: 17"

Memory Type: DDR2

Memory Size: 4GB

Memory Slots (Total): 2

Memory Slots (Filled): 2

Memory Slots (Available): 0

Maximum Memory Supported: 4GB

Capacity: 320GB

Hard Drives Included: 1x 320GB

Drive Types: Hard Drive

Drive Bays: 2 (1 HDD Installed)

Processor Brand: Intel

Processor Class: Pentium

Processor Type: Dual-Core

Processor Speed: 2.16GHz

Processor Number: T3400

Lifestyle: Home & Student

Condition: Refurbished

Operating Systems: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Startup Operating System: Windows Vista? Home Premium (64-bit)

Platform: Laptop

Expansion Ports: 1 - Express Card Slot/54

Graphics Description: Integrated Graphics

Video Interface: HDMI
VGA

Optical Drive Type: 8X Slot Load CD/DVD Writer (DVD+/-RW)

Supplemental Drive Type: Media Reader

Capacity: 4-in-1

Media Types: Memory Stick
Memory Stick PRO
Secure Digital
MultiMediaCard (MMC)

Audio Description: Integrated Audio

Audio Chipset: High-Definition Audio

Audio Channels: Built-in Stereo Speakers

Audio Input: 1- Microphone input port

Audio Output: 2 - Headphone output ports

Integrated Microphone: Yes

PS/2 Mouse Connectors: N/A

PS/2 Keyboard Connectors: N/A

Serial Communication Ports: N/A

Parallel Ports: N/A

USB Ports: 4
1 - eSATA/USB 2.0 Combo

FireWire Ports: 1

Fast Infrared Ports (FIR): 1 - Consumer IR

LAN Ports: 1

Modem Ports: N/A

Audio Out Jacks: 2

Microphone Jacks: 1

VGA Ports: 1

DVI Video: N/A

HDMI Ports: 1

S-Video Connectors: N/A

Port Replicator/Connector: N/A

Communications Description: Integrated LAN
Wireless LAN
Integrated Bluetooth

Interface Type: RJ-45 Ethernet Connector
Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Internal (2.0) mini-card
Dell Wireless 1397 Half Mini-card

Data Transfer Rate: 54 Mbps
Bluetooth 2.1 +EDR
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Protocols: WIFI
802.11b
802.11g

Width: 15.46"

Height: 1.18"~1.69"

Depth: 11.36"

Weight: 7.87 lbs

Mouse Type: TouchPad? Pointing Device

Buttons: 2

Keyboard Type: 101 Key US Keyboard

Battery Type: 9-Cell Lithium-ion

Biometrics: Fingerprint Reader

Color: Black

Integrated Webcam: Yes

Laptop 2 (Open Box)
Dell Studio 1735 Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz CPU - 4 GB RAM - 250 GB Hard Drive - DVD+-RW - Notebook Camera - WiFi - Gigabit Ethernet - Vista Home Premium - 17-inch Display - Blue

Platform Technology Intel Centrino 2
System Type Notebook
Built-in Devices Stereo speakers, wireless LAN antenna
Width 15.4 in
Depth 11.3 in
Height 1.7 in
Weight 7.9 lbs
Color Blue
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 / 2 GHzMulti-Core Technology
Processor Dual-Core
64-bit Computing Yes
Data Bus Speed 800 MHz
Cache Memory Type L2 cache
Installed Size 2 MB
RAM Installed Size 4 GB / 4 GB (max)
Technology DDR2 SDRAM
Configuration Features 2 x 2 GB
Storage Controller
Type Serial ATA

Storage
Hard Drive 250 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
Optical StorageType DVD

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Got it down to 2! Please Help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Got it down to 2! Please Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Still Need Help . . .

Here is some advice I got from a friend who is more tech savvy than myself. I included my reply as well. Hopefully I'm starting to understand all the jargon. Again, any extra advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Being that both those systems are pretty comparable, I'd be looking at two things, depending on what you want to use it for.

The Core 2 Duo processor is good if you plan to run multiple active applications because of the way Windows handles prioritizing programs across the processors, but the Pentium would be better if you mostly use a single program at a time. For example, if you're browsing the web or using other apps with a lot of animated/video content or games along with using office applications while that works in the background, the Core 2 Duo would be ideal. The other thing I would be primarily concerned with is the age of the system. Mechanical things like the hard drive, display, keyboard/mouse and battery wear out over time and with usage. There's plenty of other things to consider, but it really depends on how you plan to use it.

My Reply:

I appreciate it. I did not really understand the difference between the processors but I knew duel core was the way to go. I do like to multi task, like download a movie while surfing the net and plus I am a student so I often have Word open. I did hear though that Vista can bog down your resources. Also I read that the new type of wireless 802.11n is a lot better than a or g. I would like to be able to stream video while wireless but my router may be too slow for that. As far as the age of the systems, both should have relative to no use. I'm trying not to do an impulse buy as I'm gonna need this to last me for a while. I want to find a 17" screen, 4G, duel core, 800.11n, with a webcam, at least 250 GB Hard Drive and Windows 7 for under 500 (530 with shipping). Preferably a Dell but does not have to be. Not easy to find such a deal, lol but I think I will. Thanks for your advice and any more input is appreciated.

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I passed on any reply since the post was so mangled and hard to read. If you want the best responses in these all volunteer forums, take a little time to make a clean post. All those extra lines had me scrolling up and down and then think if they can't make a good post...

I'll give my short answer. Get the Core 2 Duo.
Bob

- Collapse -
My Apologies

Sorry Bob . . . If I knew how to put it in columns I would have definitely tried to. Also the computers are from two different sites so they have two different formats when doling out specs. My main hesitation with the second laptop was that it has Vista and I've just heard so many negatives about that OS. I mean Windows even pushed out Windows 7 to replace it. At any rate, I think I may have found a deal that beats that. It's an Inspiron 1750 at the Dell Outlet (but only has a 6 cell battery compared to the 9 of the 2nd one listed above). Here are it's specs . . .

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home PremiumMemory
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz (2 DIMMs)Hard Disk Drive
320 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)Video
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HDCertified Refurbished
Certified RefurbishedMedia Bay
8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capabilityHardware Upgrade
6 Cell, 48 WHr Lithium Ion Primary BatteryLaptop Screen
17.3 inch HD+ WLEDNetwork Interface Card
Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11a/g/n Draft Mini CardProcessor
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6600 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)Software Upgrade
Windows Live
Microsoft Works 9.0
McAfee Security Center, 30 Day
64BIT Operating System DVD
64BIT Operating System CDWeb Camera
Integrated 1.3M Pixel WebcamBase
Inspiron 17- 1750 LaptopSystem Color
Obsidian Black

It's 559, but with the 15% off coupon it's 478. The problem is the coupon expires tomorrow. My friend said if you call DELL and haggle a little you can usually get discounts and the deal you are looking for. Hopefully this post was a little easier to read.

CNET Forums