Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Got bagged fresh spinach?

by Angeline Booher / September 14, 2006 11:28 PM PDT

Throw it away !!!

-- Consumers nationwide should not eat fresh bagged spinach, say health officials probing a multistate outbreak of E. coli that killed at least one person and made dozens of others sick.

The deaths occurred in Wisconsin, where 20 people were reported ill, 11 of them in Milwaukee. The outbreak has sickened others -- eight of them seriously -- in Connecticut, Idaho, Indiana, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon and Utah. In California, state health officials said they were investigating a possible case there.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/09/15/tainted.spinach.ap/index.html

In discussions I heard, this is not limited to any brand.

One possibility was that the water was contaminated that was used to wash the spinach.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Got bagged fresh spinach?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Got bagged fresh spinach?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The experts say always wash bagged produce, Angeline.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 14, 2006 11:43 PM PDT

K ruefully admits she doesn't usually...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Yes. but in this case they...
by Angeline Booher / September 14, 2006 11:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
Washing won't help, Dave...
by J. Vega / September 15, 2006 8:40 AM PDT

Dave, washing it won't help, the bacteria is also in the interior of the plant. Throw it away.

Collapse -
Depends on the source of the spinach, if it was raised in a
by Ziks511 / September 15, 2006 8:04 PM PDT

field irrigated with contaminated water, or if it was regularly sprayed with contaminated water then probably yes. This is a problem with Mexican produce because they used to use what used to be called "night soil" because that was when it was collected. People used to go around and pump out the outhouses for fertilizer. It may still be done In Old Mexico (anybody remember the Tom Lehrer song including the word dysentery).

Rob

Collapse -
Re: Human fertilizer...
by John Robie / September 16, 2006 2:06 AM PDT

Living within 150 miles of the Mexican border, our stores do have quite a bit of fresh vegetables/fruit. Wife quit using Bananas & Avacodo from Mexico as they taste quite musty & different. We never use fresh spinach, and like Popeye's which is cooked/canned. I believe it still comes from Crystal City, Tx, which is known as the capitol of spinach and has a large statue of Popeye in the heart of town. Never ever heard of any problem from spinach grown there.

When I went to Japan in the early 1960's, the USAF bases would caution off base residences to not buy vegetables from the local markets, only from the base which had approved fertilizer supplies of fresh vegies. Much of the off base farmers used "honey bucket" human fertilizer . Wooden buckets that were waste from homes. Believe that practice is rarely used today in Japan.

Collapse -
Not what I heard...
by caktus / September 15, 2006 10:21 AM PDT

An FDA Doc on the ABC evening news said don't even bother in this case. Said don't even bother washing with chlorine, just throw it away.

Can't say weather this Doc knows what he's talking about, but why take the chance? We only get to live and die once.

Collapse -
To me, this is good news
by Steven Haninger / September 15, 2006 6:09 AM PDT

Hope broccoli and brussels sprouts are next.]:) ..and don't forget about comfrey leaves. Happy

Collapse -
Chuckle ;-)
by Evie / September 15, 2006 8:43 AM PDT

I like cooked spinach. No big fan of the raw stuff. As a kid my grandmother used to put dandelions in salads. Can't honestly "remember" if I liked them or not.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No way, Dude. The're my favorites...!
by caktus / September 15, 2006 10:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) RIP Popeye
by dirtyrich / September 15, 2006 6:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not any more.
by caktus / September 15, 2006 10:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
FDA: E. coli linked to Natural Selection Foods
by EdH / September 15, 2006 11:06 PM PDT
Collapse -
Strange suspicion or unfounded fear
by Steven Haninger / September 15, 2006 11:23 PM PDT

Illegal immigrants... undocumented migrant farm workers...U.S food supply....terrorists testing new methods and entry points????

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!