Question

Got a text about a software update from 58038

At 3:28 AM today I got a message from 58038 that read: 'Service Msg: Your phone requires a software update. You will receive a notification on your phone. Please click 'Install' to update. It's safe and secure.' I did not receive a notification about an update, and when I manually check, the updater tells me my phone is up to date already. Does anyone know how I can get my supposed software update? I have a ZTE Z557BL on SafeLink Wireless (TracFone) and Android 7.1.1.

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: Got a text about a software update from 58038
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Got a text about a software update from 58038
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Same message

I get the same message texted to my phone all the time.e and I have the same phone as you, the ZTE Z557BL or whatever it's called. I never got the update sent to my phone either. The settings say my phone is already up to date. I called SafeLink and the lady I talked to on the phone didn't even know what message I was talking about. So I'm thinking it has to be an error or something on ZTE's side? ZTE always was a sucky phone in the first place. I prefer to use Samsung over anything else.

- Collapse -
Same Messsaage

Get same message from same number only on Alcatel A574BL gets frustrating after a dozen or so messages.

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: software update

Are you really sure that 53038 isn't spreading malware?

- Collapse -
(Reply)

Well other TracFone users have gotten the same text though, from a different number. But they had different outcomes, like getting the update and it downloads but refuses to install.

- Collapse -
Yes! It messed up ZTE Z5g phone

I went ahead and downloaded the "update", and thought it was from Google. It wasn't, and my phone completely changed it's appearance and froze, even the "Restart" disappeared, and I had to find out how to do a Hard reboot. That fixed it and I learned my lesson :-D. So beware of "updates" on this phone.

- Collapse -
Answer
same phone

I have the same phone and I got the same message. I have all data turned off and wifi so I assume that is why I never see the update.

My phone is working fine and I really don't want any updates from ZTE. If I'm forced to get this update I will stop using the ZTE. I think it was just 6 months ago that the government came out with a warning for Americans not to buy the ZTE branded phones. I was totally disappointed when safelink wireless sent me this phone last month when I started service.

These phones are manufactured in South Korea. The South and the North are getting along these days and I just dont think its wize at all to be entering credit card information or any passwords you use for banking and what not. Just dont trust a phone coming out of south korea these days.

- Collapse -
alcatel phone

same thing I have alcatel phone walmart family mobile I live in Alabama I called family mobile and they had no idea ,what you said about korea made sense to me, something to think about. Im ex-navy and alot of people have no idea of all the things that other countries do and plot. Ive been around the world literally, Ive seen to much ignorance is bliss

- Collapse -
Answer
I'd ignore that and use the normal way to update.
- Collapse -
Answer
Adding to the question

Just to clarify, all I got is a text. No update notification, and when I went to Settings and checked for updates myself, none are available. Just the text.

- Collapse -
(Reply)

And I'm in central time.

- Collapse -
Looks done to me.

Now there is that phone I have on Freedompop which required me to install their app. Once in a while I update their app. Just go to the app store and update.

Just trying to cover all the bases.

- Collapse -
Answer
I got the Same EXACT message

I JUST got the message from the same # 58038. I didn't get an option it just started downloading automatically. I let it download but have postponed installing until I can find more information on whether or not it's safe.

- Collapse -
Answer
Software Update from 58038

I, too, have a ZTE phone from Safelink and have been getting these texts since at least January - but in the last month or so they've been coming in a couple times a week. That's what made me suspicious enough to Google it, which led me here. I'm mortified and ashamed to admit I've just been texting "Install" each time...any suggestions to make sure I haven't done anything horrible?

- Collapse -
Answer
MALWARE/SPAM=TEXT FROM 58038

I have never received this text from this # in all my time owning a ZTE, Alcatel, or any tracfone.
This text is spam @ best & possible malware at worst. All phones are setup to tell you if an update is available via the phone system, not via text message.
This test has nothing to do with Alcatel, Tracfone, ZTE, or any phone manufacturer or what have you.
Don't click the link or download. Also, if your phone auto downloads links in text...you can change your text settings to not autodownload.

- Collapse -
Texts from 58038

I think you are very likely correct that is it spam or malware. Good advice, thank you.

- Collapse -
Answer
I got the same message

I have a Galaxy on5. Never received the notification. I doubt it's legitimacy.

- Collapse -
Answer
Texts from 58038

I've been getting these texts since April 3, 2019. To date I've now received 10 of them. I do usually receive a text message when my phone needs an update, but usually that update notification comes within a few days. I've never received any notification of an upgrade needing to be installed.

In May 2019, I received the same test on the 22nd, the 26th, & the 30th of May. In June, I received one on the 3rd, 8th, 12th, 13th, 16th, and again today, the 19th. I've texted back asking who the hell these people are, but never get a reply.

I have an Alcatel and am also with Safelink. I, too, have gone to the Software Update in Settings, and it says there is no update available. I'm not entirely convinced that these are coming from Safelink, but really, I don't think their customer service reps would be knowledgeable enough to actually know. You have to talk to someone in the top tier to get someone who knows what's going on, and that's virtually impossible these days.

I'm seriously wondering if Tracfone and/or Safelink has been hacked. From what I see on the comments here, it looks like quite a few of us are with Tracfone and/or Safelink. If that's the case, I would be very cautious about any update coming through in the near future, so I really hope someone can get to the bottom of this, and soon. If nothing else, these message are very annoying.

- Collapse -
Keep in mind....

....that the carriers don't send text messages to advise you of a system/security update. They use what is called a Push Message. It may look like a text but it isn't the same thing.

- Collapse -
Answer
Z755bl

I just got the text which I get quite a bit, but literally while I was reading this article, an update for the phone popped up. Crazy because most of the time when I get the message, I look but my phone is up to date. It's not a scam, just check your phone and if no update needed, disregard the message.

- Collapse -
Answer
Don't click it

Do not click any link in messages unless you know the sender. System updates will pop up as a notification if at all. Providers will never send you an update link in your messages. If you have clicked the link and installed this "update" I would recommend a factory reset on your device. Then start changing all passwords to any account that you don't want out in the public. The link is sent hoping you will install it or it tries to take advantage of the messaging feature that loads previews of web links by default in text messages. I haven't taken the time to try and figure it out but I imagine that's the idea. It would also be wise to look into your message settings for the web preview setting and disable it.

- Collapse -
Answer
software update from 58038

when I went to Settings and checked for updates in phone, no update are available for now.

- Collapse -
check play store

check the play store and see if maybe you have something that needs to be updated there. If none, ignore it and delete it.

- Collapse -
Answer
I got this update before

About 2 months ago, both my wife & I got the text to our phones. After the 3rd or 4th test - thre was a link to download - so we did. It updated our Android from 7.1 to 7.11. But I am now getting this message again - - I have got it about a dozen times now, but my wife hasn't. We have the same phones (Alcatel One Touch) so I'm not sur what's going on here - - I believe it's a valid update, but - - -

- Collapse -
I've had this update 2x in last 4 months.

I've had this update 2 times in the last 4 months. I get a text from 38038 or something like that, it says there's an update available. I've never answered it, but it forces an update. I get a message in the status bar the update can be done or postpone, but you can't not do the update. I tried deleting the text & rebooting. It forced the update dialog box. I selected to install. It installs & everything seems to work fine. I have an Alcatel Raven A574BL running Android 7.1.1!

FYI, my phone doesn't always notify me I'm receiving traffic, until I reboot. Further, they won't RMA it since they replaced the 2 previously POS phones from there service each had issues. I'll by a rooted cell to BYOD with the service one of these days. Not sure if you're getting that same issue as well.

- Collapse -
Stupid message!

I have a Alcatel Fierce XL from Walmart?My carrier is provided by Straight Talk? But I also get those same messages at least 2-3 times a week?It's beyond annoying I swear it.? I just want to thank each & every one of you for your replies.? You've all helped me to understand what's been basically going on more so than I previously had before. ?

CNET Forums

Forum Info