Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Got a PS3....Now what?

by Jim12385 / June 4, 2008 4:05 AM PDT

I have had an Xbox 360 since it launched. I picked up the Wii a little after it launched as well. I held off on the PS3 for two reasons (1) the price, and (2) lack of games I couldn't already get on the 360.

The price factor disappeared once I overhauled my home theater recently and decided to add a Blue Ray player now that the format war has ended. Therefore I added a PS3 to my home theater this past weekend.

My wife and I rented a couple of blue ray movies and have enjoyed that part of the system. However, while looking through the games in different stores and reading reviews, I don't see any exclusive titles that are worth buying at the moment. I already seem to have all of the great games out there as they were either exclusive to the 360 (Mass Effect, Bioshock and to a much lesser extent Halo 3), or multiplatform (Call of Duty 4 and the Orange Box).

Now that will change slightly in a week with Metal Gear 4, which I am looking forward to, but the PS3 has been out for a while and none of the games out there that are exclusive to the platform stand out to me.

Can anyone suggest a title I have been overlooking? I am eager to see what this thing can do!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Got a PS3....Now what?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Got a PS3....Now what?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by dgrumich / June 5, 2008 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Got a PS3....Now what?

Warhawk is the best kept secret on the Playstation 3. This game will grab you and not let go until you're hopelessly hooked. Best online experience I've ever had from any game.

Collapse -
Oh yeah...
by dgrumich / June 5, 2008 7:08 AM PDT

And SOCOM is coming soon. Seriously though, it and try it out.

Collapse -
Something to consider
by Jimmy Greystone / June 5, 2008 7:30 AM PDT

Something to consider, and I'll state right now it has nothing to do with game suggestions.

Right now, the PS3 is probably the cheapest blu-ray player out there, but that very quickly will not be the case. The PS3 is however the only thing capable of playing PS3 games. Given that optical drives do tend to wear out, and often times a lot faster than you might imagine, I would strongly consider just getting a dedicated blu-ray movie player. Those will be a dime a dozen soon enough, PS3's won't.

I'd suggest keeping the PS3 for PS3 games, and getting a standalone player for movies. Standalone players will also use quite a bit less energy. If it's to be believed, a recent report said that the Xbox 360 and PS3 use about the same amount of energy as a medium sized refrigerator. So you'd be doing your part for the environment, and helping your pocketbook all at the same time.

Collapse -
Same here
by mopar-man / June 5, 2008 9:04 AM PDT

I did something similar to you, except I went 360+PS3+Wii. I play ALL my games on the 360, the Wii I use for news and weather and other little Wii things. The PS3 for my large Blu-ray collection. But, after finishing GTA IV on the 360, it RROD'ed. So now I will start playing games on the PS3/Wii. I have unopened software for both of them. I just prefer the controller of the 360. It feels so "right" to my hands. The PS3 controller makes my hands sore. The Wiimote is too much effort for me most of the time. Happy

Collapse -
Best PS3 Exclusives
by kelo360 / June 5, 2008 12:18 PM PDT

Hey - I'd try "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune." It's like a modern day Indiana Jones. Second, I'd pick up Resistance Fall of Man a great FPS. Finally, I'd try MLB 08: The Show. Once you get that - create a player and started battling in AA. It's the best baseball game out and it's only for PS3.

Collapse -
Uncharted/Ratchet and Clank
by meatyb0y / June 5, 2008 11:26 PM PDT

I have to place a second vote for Uncharted. I'm a PC gaming snob, but I absolutely loved this game. It's gorgeous, compelling, with great controls, and has that elusive "feel" that you can't quite explain but you know it when you play it.

Also, Ratchet and Clank is phenomenal. I'm no platformer fan, but this game made me feel like I was playing a Pixar movie, complete with offbeat humor. It's also beautiful to look at, and the upgradeable weapons keep it fresh and fun. If you have kids it's also great for them, although I bought it for my kid and ended up hogging it.

Heavenly Sword was underrated too. Great eye candy, and a pretty good narrative. Fantastic production value and nice combat.

If you don't have a subscription to Gamefly, I'd suggest it. Great way to try out the games before you commit to the steep purchase price.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?