Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Got a cat...........and leftover meds?

by JP Bill / November 9, 2007 3:08 AM PST
Pilot project in U.S. advises mixing leftover meds with cat litter

WASHINGTON - It's time to pooper-scoop your leftover medicine.

Mixing cough syrup, Vicodin or Lipitor with cat litter is the new advice in the United States on getting rid of unused medications. Preferably used cat litter.

It's a compromise, better for the environment than flushing - and one that renders dangerous medicines too yucky to try if children, pets or drug abusers stumble through the trash.

In Canada, the advice might differ as Health Canada tells people not to throw medications into the garbage or toilet, and individual municipalities have their own rules about what can and can't go into landfill sites. Usually, people are urged to take unused medicines back to pharmacies for proper disposal.

Not a cat owner? Old coffee grounds work, or doggie doo, even sawdust. Just seal the meds and the, er, goop in a plastic bag before tossing in the trash

OK,........ Fine, grind up leftover meds...Mix with doggy doo>

That's a good plan?...No thanks.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Got a cat...........and leftover meds?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Got a cat...........and leftover meds?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a bad idea IMO.
by drpruner / November 9, 2007 3:42 AM PST

"But the concern isn't only about controlled substances. How to best dispose of any medicine, whether prescription or over-the-counter, is a growing issue."
I guess I should have seen this coming. And I think grinding isn't mentioned, just combining with yuck and dumping.
And the alternative is returning to a pharmacy; I'll have to look into that.

Related: The hot drug for teens right now is 'whatever mom and dad have at home'. The idiots are combining them all into 'party hors d'oeurvres.'

Collapse -
I'd grind them up
by JP Bill / November 9, 2007 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: Not a bad idea IMO.

a hard addict would just "dust them off" and pop them.

There is the "15 second rule" concerning dropping food on the floor.

Collapse -
(NT) Correction...5 second rule
by JP Bill / November 9, 2007 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: I'd grind them up
Collapse -
I'd go with 15
by Cindi Haynes / November 9, 2007 7:45 AM PST

I'm not as young as I used to be. Wink

Cindi

Collapse -
Other side affects?
by Steven Haninger / November 9, 2007 5:29 AM PST

There have already been reports our medications are working themselves into our water and food supplies through the sewage and other waste systems. This goes for drugs that are consumed and those discarded as well. There's been some suggestion that fish and other other wildlife are feeling the affects of the human drug culture. Good grief.....any twinge, tic, pang or pain has a suggested drug you're supposed to "ask your doctor if_______ is right for you". So now you may be consuming drugs daily without knowing it....no prescription needed. We already suspect that the use of antibiotics is strengthening the bugs it's meant to control. Who knows what else these leisure time meds are doing. IMO, somethings are deserved. When you do something dumb or can't act your age, you gotta' feel some pain. Happy

Collapse -
Another....
by Angeline Booher / November 9, 2007 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: Other side affects?

Some people do not finish taking the prescribed number of days when they are given antibiotics (say, for 10 days). They either stop when they feel better, and plan to "use them the next time". This also contributes to the "super bugs".

Years ago Reader's Digest had a new medical condition in almost every issue. That led to those susceptible to suggestion to go to the doctor with those complaints.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.