Linux forum

General discussion

gOS and wireless connectivity help

Hello, my friend just brought the below off of geeks.

CenDyne VIA C7-M 1.2GHz 1GB 30GB 7" Netbook gOS w/Webcam
Built-in 802.11b/g Wireless LAN

It has a built in Wifi controller. The wifi adapter he has is coded for XP and not Linux.

The OS is ubuntu-like ''gOS Escape Pod 2.9 OS ''.

1) Does "wireless controller" mean this netbook has wifi installed on it's circuit broad like most laptops, or does it mean the controller is there for an external wireless device?

2) OK, I don't see the network applet for Wireless on the taskbar.

3) So, I have to install a driver first. Problem is the USB adapters he has is coded for windows.

4) Every time I try to configure in Network Manager, it doesn't give me the chance to save by clicking 'OK'.

5) Is that because there is no wireless driver for hardware install?

6) If I use wrapper, which looks difficult and lengthy, would that help using a Belkin FSD7050 ver 4? Or Viewsonic VS 10260?

7) Should I try 'wicd_1.5.9-2_all.deb' first?

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: gOS and wireless connectivity help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: gOS and wireless connectivity help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
so

In reply to: gOS and wireless connectivity help

If no luck with default you have to use wrapper and use winXp drivers with it.
And for sure use drivers version witch works on XP.

>7) Should I try 'wicd_1.5.9-2_all.deb' first?
It is graphical network manager application. yea try it out too first.

Collapse -
Likely

In reply to: so

If gOS is preinstalled and you have a wireless card built-in (which it sounds like), then you will already have the driver preinstalled.

If you don't see the Network Manager applet on your notification area, then hit Alt-F2 and type the following:

nm-applet

This will cause the Network Manager applet to appear and choose a network.

Collapse -
Thanks for the feedback but...

In reply to: Likely

Thank you for responding. The network icon was already there. It has an "x" in front of it. I tried to config and nothing.

I tried typing in a code to see which wireless network card is embedded, and I only receive a black screen. Odd huh?

This is taking lots of my time. I am not an Linux person, although I respect open source respectively.

My friend thought it would work right out the box.

Cendyne went out of business so there is no netbook website.

The gOS site is useless with user info.

Ubuntu stuff isn't the same as this OS that uses mostly linux.

I tried installing Wine, which is a Windows API alternative, and I have no idea which folder and file to install.

The networking commands go to a black screen which just lags.

Could I install a USB version of Ubuntu over this crap?

I did see a boot often for USB in BIOS.

Collapse -
ahh no

In reply to: Thanks for the feedback but...

Collapse -
Thanks for the feedback but...

In reply to: ahh no

Thanks for the response bro, what I cannot understand is why can't I configure and find the wifi adapter if this netbook has it embedded?

When I tried a few networking commands it gave me a black screen.

The only network applet is nm-applet on the panel, but it doesn't give me any wireless info; rather wired info such as DNS, etc.

So, if I cannot use a command to search for the wifi adapter, etc how do I know which wifi adapter this netbook has?

Also how do I then find it, configure it for a local hotspot?

I really don't want to further complex things by using wrapper...
I cannot even get Wine to open. The .exe files in Linux isn't that easy for me to spot like windows. I thought "loader" was it, but not. If you can tell me which file I can use to install Wine, maybe I can then install a window's based wifi adapter driver to work on this OS.

Have a great morning folks

Collapse -
aiai

In reply to: Thanks for the feedback but...

>I cannot even get Wine to open.
Because wine is for programs not for drivers.
>The .exe files in Linux isn't that easy for me to spot like windows.
EXE file means win32 application. Linux has .bin, .sh etc. etc. files, but not exe. You can run exe through wine. If you want better understand wine read here:
http://www.winehq.org/about/

As I understand from:
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gos
gOS is Ubuntu based. That means you can install things with synaptic package manager. You will find it in systerm/administration st. like that menu.

>When I tried a few networking commands it gave me a black screen.
What exectly you tired?
Normal CLI way is sth like.
Command line way is:
sudo iwconfig
/gives/
... ....eth1 wireless...
(so you have wireless card eth1 or sth)
sudo iwlist scan
/gives/
..spot id.. spot id.. spot id...
(simple wireless scaneer for spots)
sudo iwconfig eth1 essid spot_id
(we connect now card to spot)
dhclient eth1
/tatam/
(we ask for IP)
ping google.com for quick check. I use it. vry easy when you remember all those things.

Collapse -
This is easy?

In reply to: gOS and wireless connectivity help

I looked around and read this -> "My wireless Ethernet setup was easy. After installing the Ndiswrapper packages, I was able to extract, load the drivers, and see my card was detected. Using Exalt, I set up the WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) type and password. It connected to my router, and, after boot, from then on."

Right. That's "easy"? For a linux user it may be but this is asking far too much for a new owner.

-> Trying http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=gos+wifi+EXALT I find the UNOFFICIAL GOS FORUMS.

Aha! The OS's Wi-Fi Manager is "Exalt". Go find that.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.