General discussion

Gore leaves car idling for one hour during speech...

Opts for Swedish government jet over public transportation

Recently, Nobel Peace Prize winner Al Gore toured again. Or maybe he does that all the time. This time, he turned up in Gothenburg (Sweden) for the usual alarmist talk. In advance, all distinguished guests were politely advised to ? if possible ? use any form of public transportation to go to the event, in order to minimize CO2 emissions.

Intriguingly, the Master of World Climate himself arrived in a rental car (with or without driver is unclear), from the airport, and subsequently left the engine running for the entire lecture. That is to say, about one hour. Incidentally, local legislation prohibits ? for very good environmental reasons, i e pollution ? any car engine running on empty for more than 60 seconds. Fines are severe. As far as I know, he was not fined.

There's more...

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Gore leaves car idling for one hour during speech...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Gore leaves car idling for one hour during speech...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Well, strictly speaking,

This isn't evidence against climate change. It's just evidence that Al Gore has poor judgment and/or is a hypocrite. I do wonder, though, about the claim that letting a car run for over 60 seconds is a punishable offense. In a climate that cold do people never let their cars warm up? Do they not let their engines run while stopped at a traffic signal?

Either way, as far as climate change debate is concerned, it's ad hominem.

- Collapse -
It's not intended to be about "Climate Change..."

Al Gore has made many claims and is revered by many (Nobel Prize), so I think proof of his hypocrisy is totally relevant. If he really believes what he preaches he should not do what he does.

Maybe some should re-evaluate their own belief in what he claims. I am betting that a large number of people base their opinion on climate change on what he and others claim, rather than on actual science.

- Collapse -
"Maybe some should re-evaluate their own belief ....."
- Collapse -
In a climate that cold....

do people never let their cars warm up? Do they not let their engines run while stopped at a traffic signal?

I don't know Swedish law, but I assume tyhey don't runteir car engines 24/7. How long is a stop light in Gotenberg Sweden anyway?

Couldn't Mr."I invented the internet" either phone his driver when he is on his way out of the hall or get one of those devices that remotely starts your car? I mean he believes in "peak oil" right? Is he trying to personally consume the last drops?

- Collapse -
I use remote start in Maryland

Below freezing takes at least 10 minutes to warm up inside some, and longer if ice is coating the windows, over 15 to get it loosened up enough to start sliding off.

- Collapse -
I didn't suggest they let them run 24/7 ...

The article cited in the OP said that there were fines starting at 60 SECONDS. That just doesn't sound right. From what I've heard, many people in cold climates let their cars warm up for several minutes, especially if they are covered with snow/ice because the defroster facilitates scraping.

It is not AT ALL unusual for stop lights to stay red for more than a minute. But the stoplight issue may not be relevant. I suspect the law prohibits leaving an unattended car running, not a stopped car. And even the author of the article states that it is not known whether the car was unattended.

- Collapse -
My point is, there are alternatives..

that he could easily have used if he really cared about the environment. It doesn't take an hour to warm up a car. That's not what he was doing.

- Collapse -
He's not saying he's guilty of anything......
Incidentally, local legislation prohibits ? for very good environmental reasons, i e pollution ? any car engine running on empty for more than 60 seconds. Fines are severe. As far as I know, he was not fined.

Of course he could have been fined and I don't know, or someone could have been in the car and i also don't know....the only thing I know is the car was running for the entire hour.

Being an anti-global warming activist and knowing it was Al Gore using the vehicle...he should have taken a few extra steps and got ALL the facts, instead of just putting the suggestion out there.

NO LAW against running the car with a person in it, The person that MAY have been in the car WASN'T Al Gore...So what's Al got to do with it?

DON'T IDLE THE CAR!

YES SIR!

Disobedient chauffeur?

CNET Forums

Forum Info