Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

google won't index my site

by frankzxcv / November 16, 2004 1:38 PM PST

well actually, google indexes MY site just fine but I did a single little webpage for my sister months ago and it doesn't come up in google searches. it is not in the google index.

I am still a pretty neanderthal html code writer (i do it all myself by hand, from the old days when we had to walk thru 6 feet of snow every day to get to the internet). is the lack of an official html header the cause of google's disdain? I'll try putting that in but could use some advice! thanks - fj

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: google won't index my site
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: google won't index my site
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: google won't index my site
by Andrea B. / November 16, 2004 6:32 PM PST

I by "lack of offical html header" you mean you have not page title, keywords, doctype, and whatever else SHOULD be at the top of any html page, then yes, that could very well be part of the reason.

Also, one of the things Google looks at is how many other pages are linking to a site.

A link would help so we can look and see what you have right now - and it'd be one more link towards that google goal.

Collapse -
here's the url
by frankzxcv / November 17, 2004 12:58 PM PST

thanks for your concern -- here's the site:

http://www.jessicalockemusic.com

note I just added this part at the top:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" />

to my knowledge no one has linked to it. I suppose I could do that myself.

thenewly added code above is from my own homepage and I am indexed up the wazoo- thanks --fj

PS note I have not run it thru the html checker -- too depressing! - fj

Collapse -
Re: here's the url
by Andrea B. / November 18, 2004 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: here's the url

Run it through the checker - it's not as bad as you think - and it tells you what you need to fix.

And note that you also have 2 <body> tags.

Bad code may be another reason google isn't finding you - and if you just now added the top part - it'll take a month or so before the google spider comes back around.

Collapse -
Re: google won't index my site
by aggie / December 3, 2004 9:16 AM PST
Collapse -
Just a thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 9:18 PM PST

Does your site pass a html validity checker?

Such as W3C's or others at http://www.htmlhelp.com/links/validators.htm

A friend had that issue, but their code had far too many errors. They (for some time) always thought that if it looks fine in IE/NS/FF/TS/TA/TB then the code was fine.

Bob

Collapse -
simmilar prob
by artfullDODGER33 / April 2, 2010 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought.
Collapse -
Which doesn't answer my question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2010 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: simmilar prob

I wonder if I was unclear here. YOU have to check the web site. I don't do that for you. Sorry if that sounds uncaring but I only offer what others (and I) have found to help.
Bob

Collapse -
simmilar prob
by artfullDODGER33 / April 4, 2010 12:13 PM PDT

OK thanks for assist I have just today validated the site and it now passes the validity checker at W3C validate[1 warning remains on three.html...but all pages now passed]...so hopefully it will now be indexed by the search engines.

any further suggestions
I have:
Validated[google html code in homepage, also have the google analytics code , analysis shows no visits from any bots/spiders]
Submitted URL+Sitemap
keywords and robot "all" done

As far as I can see I have done all regular suggestions

Collapse -
Indexing in google
by seozen / May 13, 2010 7:47 PM PDT
In reply to: simmilar prob

Try to check broken links too.If still your site is not indexed then check for Google sandbox and resubmit it to Google in that way....Go to this link http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl and resubmit your url to be indexed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.