The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Google Video Store

by dvxbrian / January 19, 2006 11:06 PM PST

Once the Google Video Store was launched I tested it out.

I believe Google is trying to make it convenient for the user to download and view the video. Instead of having to download the video completely prior to viewing it, Google allows viewing as the download is in progress (i.e. progressive download). Once it is completely downloaded to the user machine, it can be viewed at any time in full, and no more downloading occurs.

This is a little diffferent than iTunes for example, where the user must download first, watch second.

In my opinion, the Google video player is nice and I like the fact that you can integrate videos into html pages via the "put on site" link.

All in all, it's not glamourous, but I imagine the video store will develop into something great over time.

dvxbrian
Boulder, Colorado

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google Video Store
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google Video Store
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would agree but...
by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / January 20, 2006 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: Google Video Store

I have a big issue with having to be connected to the Internet to watch my videos.

Collapse -
how it works...
by dvxbrian / January 21, 2006 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: I would agree but...

You only need to be connected to the Internet while downloading the video, similar to iTunes, or any other online audio or video distribution service. Once you have downloaded the video to your machine, it is yours and you do not need to have an Internet connection to view it.

My point is that Google allows you to watch the video while it is being downloaded. Simply a convenience in case you must see it immediately, rather than waiting for the full download to complete.

Collapse -
Yea, but
by netmasta / January 22, 2006 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: how it works...

The video quality when watching a file while it's downloading usually isn't as good for whatever reason, IMO. Besides, you never know when it may have to rebuffer.

Collapse -
Only true of the free ones
by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / January 22, 2006 1:02 PM PST
In reply to: how it works...

Google videos you pay for, Deep Space Nine, for instance, can only be watched if you have the Internet on. I know because our connection at home crapped out and I could not wactht eh video.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?