Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Google searches your harddrive

by Cindi Haynes / October 15, 2004 11:15 PM PDT

Hi,

Now that I have your attention Wink Google has come out with a tool to search your harddrive, which will supposedly help eliminate the need to remember your directory tree structure and can find things that you "remember seeing once" . Any tracking is supposed to be optional at any point. I've downloaded, but haven't installed yet. Has anyone else tried this? Is it "a good thing"?

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20041016/D85O77RG1.html

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google searches your harddrive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google searches your harddrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How can it? Is what I want to know ...
by Mosonnow / October 15, 2004 11:36 PM PDT

Being a Newbie, I have no idea how this would work.

Most of us have enough software on our machines to form a new Mount Everest specifically to remove tracking. Is Google saying it can override this?

Maybe I should make this my last post and go back to snail mail - at least it rarely got there so little chance tracking Wink

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: Google searches your harddrive
by C1ay / October 16, 2004 1:00 AM PDT

Do keep in mind that this was designed for single user machines. On multi-user machines users will be able to see documents and mail belonging to other users.

From Google Desktop Search: Security Threat?

Using Google's new software on a shared computer at the Google booth at the Digital Life trade show floor I was able to easily search for, find, and read private Yahoo e-mail sent on the computer by previous users earlier in the day.

Marissa Mayer, Google's director of consumer Web products, told me she wasn't surprised. "This is not a bug, rather a feature," she says. Google always intended people to be able to index and search Web-based e-mail viewed and composed on PC, she says. Google Desktop Search is not intended to be used on computers that are shared with more than one person, she says....

Collapse -
does this include
by TONI H / October 16, 2004 1:26 AM PDT

>>>Google Desktop Search is not intended to be used on computers that are shared with more than one person, she says....>>>>

people who use AIM or other P2P programs? Wondering if both systems have to have it installed in order for it to work, or can I (if I have it installed) search my son's computer when we are on AIM together even if he doesn't have it installed?

TONI

Collapse -
Re: does this include
by C1ay / October 16, 2004 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: does this include
Wondering if both systems have to have it installed in order for it to work, or can I (if I have it installed) search my son's computer when we are on AIM together even if he doesn't have it installed?

No, you could not search his computer using AIM. OTOH, I might support network drives such that if you had his hard drive mapped to a drive letter on your computer you would be able to search it. I did not see anything on their site to indicate that this is or is not supported.

Collapse -
by EdH / October 16, 2004 1:26 AM PDT

It sounds kind of neat, a bit like what they have on the Mac. I can see potential for security problems, but running Windows is already a security problem anyway.

I'd be tempted to install it after I see a few reviews. I don't mind being an early adopter, but not a first adopter.

Collapse -
Related Posts & String at Windows XP Forum
by Catgic / October 16, 2004 1:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
by cbbrown / October 18, 2004 9:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Forgive my Newbie ignorance....
by Mosonnow / October 18, 2004 7:37 PM PDT

Is this something that one actively installs, or something that the existing Google search engine automatically attaches?

My thanks to above members for the links. I gather I would see a "coloured swirl" in my tray (which I don't see).

TIA

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
I'm not a newbie but
by TONI H / October 18, 2004 10:18 PM PDT

I'm a little confused as well about the Google Desktop

This page of their tools specifically lists the Toolbar which I use all the time BUT it doesn't list the Desktop tool:

http://www.google.com/options/index.html

But the generic home page for them specifically names the Desktop tool for download:

http://www.google.com

In order to get to the other 'tools' paged I linked to first, you need to click the "MORE" button on the generic home page.

My confusion comes from not knowing if the Desktop is actually a new part of the original search Toolbar that I use every day.......and since my search Toolbar is an older version, would I also be downloading and installing the Desktop tool along with a download of the Search Toolbar, or are they two separate entities that you would have to download apart from each other?

If the downloads are separate programs, I will rest easy knowing I can opt out of getting the Desktop. But in the meantime, I will do two things....I will keep my original download file for the Search Toolbar for easy reinstalls if necessary since it doesn't include the Desktop.....and I have already gone into (long ago) my Internet Options/Advanced and unchecked 'enable install on demand' and also unchecked 'enable third-party browser extensions'. This stops automatic installations of programs websites might toss at you behind your back causing a window to pop up asking for your permission to do the download and install.....giving you time to cancel out of it.

That also won't allow the Google Search Toolbar to get installed unless you re-check the 'third party browser' box, but at least you will have control over most things shady at various sites.

TONI

Collapse -
Desktop is new AND seperate from what you have
by jonah jones / October 19, 2004 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm not a newbie but

the google toolbar is for convenience when surfing, desktop is purely for searching 'your' computer...

the confusion/aprehension arises when you read the "fine print" about who and when "Google & Co" are "allowed" to 'phone home' and what they are 'allowed' to send...

hth

Collapse -
Worm hole into the nebulous black hole data depths of my HD
by Catgic / October 18, 2004 10:07 PM PDT

Cindi?shame? ?downloaded, but haven?t installed yet.? My Bride-For-Life has exhibited similar behaviours?it must be an estrogen thing Wink Come on in, the ?muddy gwater? is fine. I had a gdesktop Day One download & install that went clean & green. I' m cool with it Cool and like what I saw of it so far. I observed-experienced no bugs, glitches or quirks. It appears to be first-class code-bangin? work.

I characterize it as a useful ?worm hole into the nebulous black hole data depths of my HD.?

I?ve only had it installed for a few days, but already use it often and regularly to find ?where did I put that?? material.

Of course, the Google Desktop Beta is virgin territory, but fortunately, not having gdesktop on your machine is no show-stopper. Fellow-Luddite AussiePete, is still in fear of Win XP SP2 ?crocs,? and still is cautiously hanging back waiting to stick his toe into Billy?s Billabomb.

Put a good Google-eye on the privacy statement for the Google Destop beta, some find Orwellian ?Big Brother? privacy issue text in it. As a straight-arrow-Netizen-of-Good-Will who is personally active in and sensitive to important privacy subtleties and issues, whether government-centric or private sector-centric, I have no problems with it WRT my privacy and lifestyle.

As I have previously stated for the record, I maintain nothing on my machine nor wander anywhere across the vast e-wasteland that I would not be comfortable sharing will ?Me Maw, John A$$croft [w/ valid search warrant] or over lunch with the Pope and the Dali Lama sitting atop the Holy Kaabah in Meccah on a prayer rug.?

Forum Netizens across the vast e-wasteland are waiting to see if ?Mikey?er-r-r?Cindi Likes it.?

Collapse -
Estrogen, and fear!! ;-)
by Cindi Haynes / October 19, 2004 12:58 AM PDT

Hi jpol, (unless you object, I think I'll call you that, it seems a good Star-Trek name Wink )

I haven't had time to get into it, really, I just picked up a new Toshiba laptop (the laptop of luxury--LOL) and I've been busy trying to decide what I really need to have on it from the old machine. Once I have the laptop fully up to speed, I may just install the google desktop on the old desktop machine to play a bit. After reading, I was nearly convinced to just delete it, but after hearing how much you like it, it's still a contender to go on my drive. It'll just take time. Happy

If I'm correct, it IS completely seperate from the online search engine and the toolbar, correct?

Cindi

Collapse -
Estrogen & fear neutralized by Jpol?s "magnetic" personality
by Catgic / October 19, 2004 4:49 AM PDT

If your Jpol ?J-handle? assignment wasn?t by random chance alone, then you?re one ?extra-sensory? Netizen. The Star-Trek mind-meld envelop, please? Captain Kirk, Commander Spock and my dearly departed Uncle Hymie would be proud of you. So, how could I dare to object? Grin

You see, your selection of ?jpol? captures my powerfully propelling ?electro-magnetic? personality. Wink

Jpol just happens to be an E-M fusion energy term associated with extracting power from the magnetic propulsion of lithium streams inside Tokamaks.

Beam me up, Scotty!...er-r-r?Cindi and go to Jpol:Warp Factor 10.

As regards your ?puter decisions?decisions?I had an exchange with one unhappy ?gdesktop? camper in the Win XP Forum. He eventually decided that the Google Desktop Beta wasn?t ready-for-primetime on his Dell machine, planned to do an uninstall and wait for the post-Beta release of gdesktop. My Dell loves it?Go Figure.

My understanding is its ?Search your own computer? function is ?completely separate? from the online search engine and the toolbar. The Google Desktop Search Beta Window does have buttons on it to take you to the Google Internet Web Search Engine at a mouse click, if you elect to go there. Also, if you put a term in the ?normal? Google Web Search Engine page slot and search for it, the top (first) listing is a gdesktop ?XXX [number of] results stored on your computer? summary of the that search term following the Google Desktop four color swirl logo, if it resides on your computer. Then below that is the ?normal? list of Web hits for that search term.

Your measure twice on your old legacy desktop machine, install once on your new Toshiba laptop is a ?Google Gal with a Plan.?

In the mean time, thanks to ?gdesktop beta,? there?ll be no Wrath of Khan, Jpol ? ia ? KON or otherwise, in the "googolplex" of data and files that reside on the HD of my warp speed Dell XPS.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!