The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Google's worried about Bing

by Slikkster / June 14, 2009 10:43 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google's worried about Bing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google's worried about Bing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes but
by Nicholas Buenk / June 15, 2009 12:48 AM PDT

Has anyone actually started using bing instead of google?

Collapse -
Read the article...
by Slikkster / June 15, 2009 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes but

It's already picked up a couple of percentage points in usage (but apparently from Yahoo vs. Google). That's what the marketing campaign is for, though. Google's been around so long that it will be hard to get people to change or even sample it. But, give it some time. It won't be long before the EU complains that Bing is offered as a search engine in MS OS's.

Collapse -
Nope
by Renegade Knight / June 15, 2009 5:10 AM PDT

MS cost me money. It cost them a customer. They refused to talk. Even if bing is wonderful beyond belief. Google's being "good" is enough to keep me away from MS.

Tried wolframalpha today. Meh. I could not get a simple little query into it's hyper evolved brain in a way that it could understand. It's fair to point out it's a complex search. When I tried it's suggested searches it worked ok, but nothing special.

Collapse -
Obviously...
by Slikkster / June 15, 2009 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope

Your personal story --whatever that is-- has no bearing on whether Bing will be successful. I could just as easily say "Google's the <i>real</i> monopoly these days, so I'm going to avoid them." But if Google's going to bring me the best results for the needs I have, it makes no sense to avoid them. Of course, I could avoid clicking through on any adsense/wordsense links.

Collapse -
No, he's onto something
by Nicholas Buenk / June 16, 2009 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Obviously...

Why note that bing doesn't have microsoft's name on it at all. Clearly their name drives people away more than bringing them.

Collapse -
Only to Apple fanboys...
by Slikkster / June 16, 2009 1:47 AM PDT

Like you, mate.

Collapse -
Ad-hominium
by Nicholas Buenk / June 16, 2009 11:34 AM PDT

I'll take this comment as an admission of defeat. Wink

Collapse -
Non Sequitur
by Slikkster / June 16, 2009 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Ad-hominium

You wanna go Latin, eh? I'll take your statement above to mean...well, I really don't know what it means in the context of the discussion.

Collapse -
(NT) :)
by Slikkster / June 16, 2009 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Non Sequitur
Collapse -
I've been giving Bing a try and . . .
by FLMIA305 / June 16, 2009 1:48 PM PDT

. . . it seems to be doing okay against Google for _my_ searches and _my_ needs. Your Mileage May Vary YMMV.

In terms of search results, I still think Google has the an edge here, more of Google's results seem relevant to what _I_ am looking for.

But the other featurse of Bing have been so useful to me, that I cringe whenever I go back to Google, even if Google's results are better.

Fortunately, if I don't find what I want, I can always enter Google into Bing's search box, and not only does information on Google come up, but a Google search box is shown that allows me to do a Google search. So I can search Google when I need to and continue to use Bing.

In the end, I think this is why I will be using Bing more than Google: not for its search results but for its other features.

Collapse -
I think the results are abou as good as google
by Nicholas Buenk / June 16, 2009 3:29 PM PDT

But not any better. So I don't really see a need to use bing but would be happy using it.
However, as it's the default search engine on IE8 and windows 7, it might be good enough to make people feel no need to change the settings to google.
It still amused me though that Microsoft brand name means so little that they felt it better to leave it off bing.

Collapse -
Yeah...I only count 3 references to MS. They're hiding!
by Slikkster / June 16, 2009 9:30 PM PDT

Let's see: The top of Bing has "MSN" and "Windows Live" links, while the bottom of the search page says "

Collapse -
Ohh right
by Nicholas Buenk / June 17, 2009 12:12 AM PDT

That tiny copyright text at the bottom hey.
They clearly are trying to avoid advertising it's a Microsoft product, hehe. No other Microsoft site does this.

Collapse -
It only makes sense...
by Slikkster / June 17, 2009 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Ohh right
Collapse -
Google's worried about Bing
by wizkids32 / June 15, 2009 7:38 AM PDT

They shouldn't be at all Bing isn't going to be as big as Google.

Collapse -
its all about the results
by homebrandcola / June 16, 2009 11:03 PM PDT

Having used Google for so long, I know how Google will interpret most of the stuff I put in there. There is a certain skill to asking the right question of search engines and at the moment Google 'gets' me. Terrible, I know Happy

Bing was launched when I was attending some training for work, and one thing we were using the Internet for was downloading a lot of tools from the System Center Operations Manager Blog (no one knows why these tools don't ship with the product, but they don't).

Google got it first hit every time.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ops+mgr+team+blog&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

Bing, no where near:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=ops+mgr+team+blog&go=&form=QBLH&filt=all

As the training was run by a Microsoft employee he wanted use to try Bing. That didn't last very long.

The market share Microsoft have taken early has been at the expense of Yahoo more than anyone. It is because people are trying something new and shiny. And is it SHINY! (come on Google, can we have shiny.google.com for a pretty version of the engineer friendly white?)

Microsoft can call it a decision engine all they want, everyone wants to search the Internet, and Bing just doesn't cut it, yet.

Also, check out Blind search, this is cool:
http://blindsearch.fejus.com/

Cheers, Tim.

Collapse -
Interesting, but....
by Slikkster / June 17, 2009 9:34 AM PDT

Change "mgr" to "manager" and look at the results. So you're really saying that an abbreviated word is going to make the real difference?

OR, change "ops mgr" to "opsmgr" and check the results. Looks pretty accurate to me. Next?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?