Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Google's Chrome

by James Denison / September 1, 2008 9:04 AM PDT

Anyone planning to download this tomorrow and try it out?

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080901/google_browser.html
Google Inc. is releasing its own Web browser in a long-anticipated move aimed at countering the dominance of Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer and ensuring easy access to its Internet-leading search engine.

The Mountain View-based company took the unusual step of announcing its latest product on the Labor Day holiday after it prematurely sent out a comic book drawn up to herald the new browser's arrival.

The free browser, called "Chrome," is supposed to be available for downloading Tuesday in more than 100 countries for computers running on Microsoft's Windows operating system. Google said it's still working on versions compatible with Apple Inc.'s Mac and the Linux operating system.

Although Google is using......

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google's Chrome
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google's Chrome
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
the comic book
by James Denison / September 1, 2008 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Google's Chrome
Collapse -
(NT) Oops...didn't see this thread when I posted. Sorry.
by Paul C / September 1, 2008 3:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
no problem.
by James Denison / September 2, 2008 6:58 AM PDT

I did look before posting but still couldn't believe I was first. Wink

Collapse -
Chrome, The Google Browser.
by googletechie / September 1, 2008 9:42 PM PDT

Hello guys:

It is official on google's official blog about, Chrome-the Google's Browser. Being a die-hard fan of Google..I am dying to see the browser and use it. One more prominent enterant in the "Browser War" and what an entry. Google is launching the beta version of Chrome For more you can read and have the link to download Chrome

http://google-thechrome.blogspot.com/

Collapse -
Good One
by googletechie / September 1, 2008 9:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
Getting Error
by tubaloth / September 2, 2008 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Good One

I got to the page, I accept the EUL, it pops up the little progress bar and says its downloading Chrome. Then i get an error
0x80040508

I can't figure out why I can't install it.

XP pro SP2
2 GB of RAM
P4.

I am at a work computer, but I have had other people at work be able to download it.

Is there an EXE file I can download?

Collapse -
you on dialup?
by James Denison / September 2, 2008 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Getting Error

I may download and try it later when I hook back my other computer, but currently have my youngest child's computer hooked to my KVM to install some new stuff. Not particularly thrilled about a new browser. I liked Netscape 2, then IE4, Netscape 4.8, IE5.5sp2, but drifted more to Netscape 7.0 (best right clk choice order! and tabs!), and finally the Firefox versions.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!