Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Google Earth

by ice_bear_joe / April 12, 2008 8:42 AM PDT

I like to Google Earth to look at some of the old places I visited over the last 60 yrs and see the changes.
Great program and could really be good if kids used it,they could learn a lot about other countries.
I just would like it if focus up close was better.
Is it my computer or just the google quality.
Could some of you have a look and let me know of a possible way to improve it.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n23/Ice_Bear_Bob/MJ.jpg
My old RCAF base Moose Jaw Sask

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google Earth
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google Earth
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re.Google Earth
by ice_bear_joe / April 12, 2008 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Google Earth

Not looking to be able the read signs or anything that fine but would
like to be able to see shape of car to be able tell make.
Is this possible?

Collapse -
I've sometimes wondered
by Dragon / April 12, 2008 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Re.Google Earth

About some of the big fires that are set -- whether or not authorities could use Google or something similar to figure out what happened to cause the fire, or if someone set it, maybe they could follow the car or whatever from where it was set. Just a thought. I realize not all areas are covered as well.

Collapse -
I doubt it's possible ...
by Bill Osler / April 12, 2008 11:17 AM PDT

on either count.

The resolution available for Google Earth is not all that good for most of the earth, although it does seem to be improving with time.

I doubt that the service would be useful for IDing criminals except in unusual circumstances because it is nowhere near to real time coverage. Some of the pictures they display are from several (>10 at a guess) years ago. At least that is my impression from the view they had of my neighborhood until a few months ago. It appears that it has been updated recently, but I noted that the updated image is still at least a couple of years old since it does not include a road that has been around for at least 2 years.

Whether the underlying satellite technology that Google uses could produce higher resolution useful for both IDing criminals and for determining car models ... I do not know.

Collapse -
RE: be able to see shape of car
by JP Bill / April 12, 2008 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Re.Google Earth

In the bottom right corner of your photo, Eye Altitude is 3418 ft.. If you use the sliding scale on the top right you can decrease your Eye Altitude and get a better view of objects on the ground.

After I get to about 2500' Eye Altitude I start to lose focus on the 2 yellow vehicles, 1 white vehicle and 2 planes bottom right.

To be able to tell the make? Not likely

Collapse -
From what I've seen of the Google mapping
by Steven Haninger / April 12, 2008 12:22 PM PDT

it's like a patchwork quilt with some pieces showing excellent detail and others being lesser quality. It must have something to do with factors such as what equipment was used, how high up it was and what kind of atmospheric conditions existed at the time. I've noticed that larger cities in the US southwest where the climate is drier (try Phoenix Ariz. for example) will be quite good. High humidity areas won't be so great. As well, those areas where there's nothing much to see but trees or prairie don't seem to get much attention. I have to wonder if the map is a continuous work in progress where sections will be replaced with higher quality images as they become available.

Collapse -
It's clearly a work in progress ...
by Bill Osler / April 12, 2008 12:52 PM PDT

There are a lot of places where if you zoom out a bit you can see the variations in contrast/exposure/resolution in various places fairly clearly.

For example, if you go to 15

Collapse -
Thanks
by ice_bear_joe / April 12, 2008 12:59 PM PDT

Guess I'm getting as good as can be expected.
Still some good sites to visit.
Bob

Collapse -
Sometimes you can get better images elsewhere ...
by Bill Osler / April 12, 2008 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

For my neighborhood the county maintains a GIS server service that includes very high resolution aerial photographs rather than than low res photos Google Earth uses. That availability obviously varies from place to place.
You can also check out Flash Earth which includes options to view maps/photos from various sources. Sometimes one of the sources provides better detail than the others.

Collapse -
google earth
by einfopedia / April 3, 2012 8:09 PM PDT

i think that resolution is not fine for the earth so that its understood that it may be improve with the passage of the time...but the service of the Google is the very best because on a net we can see everything via a Google earth which is the beneficial for everyone.it also shows the road of the place.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!