Question

Google Chrome Browser

Hi All,
I recently downloaded Google Earth but neglected to uncheck the Google Chrome Browser option, hence I got the browser on my machine.
I didn't want it so I uninstalled it, and now the URLs in my Outlook emails files won't open.
I've found I can solve this by downloading Chrome again, but I don't want it on my machine.
Does anyone have a cure for this please - is there a registry tweak I can do to sort it, for instance?
Many thanks,
M.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Google Chrome Browser
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Google Chrome Browser
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Two things

Two things

1: Clicking on links in emails is a VERY bad idea. You should copy and paste the link into your web browser, then inspect it to make sure what was copied and pasted is the same as what was showing in the email program, THEN you can consider going to the site.

1A: Using Outlook isn't exactly doing yourself any favors on security

2: Just set your default browser to whatever you use, and hopefully that something isn't Internet Explorer to compound the security issues you already have with Outlook.

2A: That is assuming you want to throw caution to the wind and enjoy cleaning up after malware that invades your system

And a bonus point

3: Forget you ever heard of the Windows registry. Seriously. Based on the approximate level of technical understanding you appear to possess, that is very dangerous knowledge for you to have. Especially since you seem to be so cavalier about tinkering with something you haven't the faintest clue about. Honestly though, outside of developers and debuggers, no one ever really need know anything about the registry. The 99.99999999999% of us who do not fall into that category would likely have far fewer problems if we collectively forgot about the Windows registry.

- Collapse -
Hyperlinks.

Your answer would suggest that the forum to which you have subscribed, really was meant for the smaller minded amongst us Jimmy .
M.

- Collapse -
No

No, it's just experience has taught me that very few people are ever going to be willing to put in the time and effort to learn the necessary support skills to be able to understand enough about the Windows registry to be able to go spelunking in there with relative safety. Since you haven't even yet mastered basic program associations, it's a pretty safe bet that you wouldn't understand the difference between a string and boolean value for example.

In the event that you just have some amazingly acute gaps in your overall understanding of things, then you should still understand the vantage point from which I am coming, if not agree with it.

- Collapse -
This isn?t exactly a technical question...

All though your answer was correct and should fix the issue the author of this post is only asking a simple question and I'd imaging they're offended with your response.

- Collapse -
Answer
Just checking.

Did you look at making the ASSOCIATION for .htm, html back to the web broswer of your choice?

Example at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/help but I can't tell which browser you want to use so I can only note you want to fix the association for htm and html files.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
It sounds like you clicked

do you want to make Chrome your default browser. If you go into the browser your using and look at the help section. Type is make default browser.

CNET Forums