PC Applications forum

General discussion

Google Apps

by drizs / September 28, 2007 11:36 AM PDT

Google has been testing Google Apps for some time now, and I been using it for almost two years. While there were some hiccups, the overall experience has been great.

Lat week Google added Presentation that would serve as an alternative to Microsoft PowerPoint. While it is a simplified version of the presentation software, most of the users would be happy with the existing features. Keep in mind that if yo use it daily, you will notice that Google adds new feature, and improves interface almost weekly.

For those not familiar with Google Apps, it can be found at:

http://www.google.com/a

You could use a free version to collaborate with friends and family, or Enterprise version if you are looking to 24x7 support and would like to have a huge 10GB mailbox.

Please share your experience.

Steve Driz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google Apps
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google Apps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've tried Google's spreadsheet
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 28, 2007 9:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Google Apps

but found the whole experience wanting.

The spreadsheet was only suitable for simple, non-involved calculations and navigation, and there were no options for using VBA in macros, etc. Only one spreadsheet at a time can be used, not multiples like in a workbook. No linking between spreadsheets.

Also, I was not happy about sharing any personal facts and figures on the internet.

I suspect there will be similar limitations and annoyances with other web applications, and the personal information issue is yet to be resolved in my view.

No, I think I will stay with my own PC installed office based utilities and leave web-based apps alone.

Mark

Collapse -
web based application security?
by yoeld / October 3, 2007 7:43 AM PDT

I understand Mark's concern. However, we must differentiate 2 issues here:

1. The security/data protection of the web application vs PC protection;
2. What does the hosting company does with your data?

1. Today, I feel quite good saying that the level of protection existing at serious companies is more than satisfactory. More and more companies rely on remote data hosting service for their company back-ups and even ... their business information. The success of SALESFORCE.COM says it all. Companies rely on salesforce.com on-line application to managed sales, leads etc... in other words the most sensitive information. These on-line service companies invest a lot in their data protection. In most of the cases, your data is safer on their site than on your hardly protected PC.

2. Here it is a completely other story. Google becomes "BIG BROTHER" when is scans your emails (gmail), your PC (googles desktop) or other Google apps, for the purpose of learning your interest and behaviour, in order (so far) to provide you with targetted advertisement. But who knows what is expected later ... . As far as I am concerned, I am torn beteen willing to say no, and ... not being able to live without Google desktop!

However, I believe that most companies offering web based application are not exploiting your data because they have little use of it, and that their main focus is to sell an on-line service.

What is your opinion? Do you agree ?

Collapse -
I totally agree with yoeld
by SEGMAT / November 16, 2007 2:24 AM PST

I refuse to use any of the Google software, even the webmail. I don't like the license agreements, and I don't like the way that they treat your data. All data that you put in, whether in emails, or word processing, or anything you do online if you own the "Google Web Accelerator", belongs to Google. They have the right to do anything they want with your data, including to sell it to anyone... I can't accept that. I don't even use Google for web searches anymore.

That's just my opinion, I would recommend that anyone stays away from Google in the future.

Matt

Collapse -
Google Apps are Great!
by rfaltesek / December 18, 2007 9:22 AM PST

I've been using Google Docs and Spreadsheets for a few moonths now. I created web pages for my son's soccer club. These are great for documents where you need multiple authors (including signup sheets, volunteer sheets, etc.). I use a spreadsheet for keeping track of the team's finances.

My needs are fairsimple and the applications are generally fine for what I want to do. Ive had a couple of problems, but have managed to work around them. All in all, I highly recommend these documents.

If you don't trust Google with your documents, so be it. I do and will continue to take advantage of these cool and free applications.

Collapse -
Re:
by gigabits / December 23, 2007 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: Google Apps

Google App is simply astonishing! I've been using it since it's first introduced and never feel the need to install a copy of Office locally. As many have pointed out, I would not keep sensitive data in Google App though.

Collapse -
If anybody can send me an invite
by xushaoqian / June 29, 2011 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:

If anybody can send me an invite.Thank you very much!

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove exposed email address on 07/04/2011 at 1:53 PM PT

Collapse -
Google Apps does not require invitation...
by John.Wilkinson / July 4, 2011 6:52 AM PDT

Just sign up for an account with Goole, log in, and use the services as desired.

John

Collapse -
Search engine
by justincamp / July 20, 2011 12:44 AM PDT

My site is not appearing in google search result page.

Collapse -
Your question is unrelated to the thread, but...
by John.Wilkinson / July 20, 2011 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Search engine

Initial thoughts:
1.) Google slowly crawls the web, finding new websites, but can't find them all. Have you submitted your website for indexing?
2.) Google blacklists websites and even entire domains that contain malicious content or try to 'game the system.'
3.) Google results are based on relevancy and popularity - make sure your search terms match and expect to be on one of the last pages at first.

John

Collapse -
have you ever use black hat techniques?
by Ayansarei / August 1, 2011 8:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Search engine

Can you share here your url ?? have you ever use black hat techniques? means any thing done against google webmaster guideline ? If no, fine then go for web master tool and add your website with do some do follow social book marking.

Regards,

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove signature ad link which is prohibited in these forums on 08/02/2011 at 9:12 AM PT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.