HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Google

by bgthompson / November 23, 2010 12:08 AM PST

I have Mozilla Firefox and love it, but when I Google something then click on and item to check it out I get redirected instead of getting to the site I choose. I have tried to find a way to stop this but have not. I am hoping someone can help me with this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Google
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Google
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Often caused by Malware.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Google

First thing first, check your Firefox Add-ons, (Tools > Add-ons), and disable any that look suspicious.

But I would also carry out some anti-malware scans. Download and install the two anti-malware utilities below, update them then run separate scans;
Malwarebytes' Anti-malware and SUPERAntiSpyware

See if that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Add-ons
by bgthompson / November 23, 2010 11:35 AM PST

The only thing I see I am not sure of is Shockwave Flash and Silverlight Plug-in, should I get rid of these?

Collapse -
Re: Google
by manmur / November 23, 2010 5:19 AM PST

Try to do the same search in Yahoo or any other search site.

If you are still being redirected: try to do a anit-malware scan with Malwarebytes and Supperanitspyware or any other program that you have. If it is anything that is on your PC then they will find it.

How is it redirecting you? Please give us an example. By that give us a 'clean' (non-p0rn) search. That is giving you the redirect. Also tell us the link that you went to that redirected you.

If the link is going to a "site for sale" or "this domain is up for sale" and not the one you wanted to go to. I am afraid that we cannot help you if that is the case.

manmur

Collapse -
Yahoo
by bgthompson / November 23, 2010 11:37 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Google

I have tried Yahoo search and the same thing happened.

Collapse -
Redirect
by bgthompson / November 24, 2010 11:11 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Google

When I Google or Yahoo a subject then click on a site suggested it starts going to that site then redirects to a place giving me other ways to find the subject. Even if I click on Wikipedia I get redirected. I have run StopZilla, and Malwarebytes, and don't seem to have any problems so I wonder if it has something to do with Mozilla.

Collapse -
Did you..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 8:14 AM PST

bg..

When you were infected recently (using Internet Explorer) did you check to make sure your "Proxy Settings" hadn't been changed by the malware? If not, open Internet Explorer and go to Tools>Internet Options. Click on the "Connections" Tab. Then click on the LAN settings button and make sure there is NO check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN". If there is, uncheck it. Click OK. Then OK, again.

I would strongly suggest you follow Mark's suggestions. If per chance, neither of the two detect a problem, I would then suggest scanning with the below.

Kaspersky's TDSSKiller. The instructions and download can be found here: http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

Hitman Pro 3.5 Update and run a full scan. It's free to use without a license. If a virus is found, you will receive a free 30-day license to remove the threat.

http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads

If none of the above helps, there are other things to try. Hopefully, Mark's instructions will "do the trick", and you won't need to do anything more. Happy

Carol

Collapse -
Settings
by bgthompson / November 23, 2010 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: Did you..

The only thing checked is Automatically detect settings.

Collapse -
Let us know
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 6:22 PM PST
In reply to: Settings

how you get on with all the anti-malware scanners and scans we have all suggested.

Mark

Collapse -
Not Yet
by bgthompson / November 24, 2010 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: Let us know

Haven't had a chance to do much had a small family crisis but will try soon.
Thanks to all of you for your help.

Collapse -
Still
by bgthompson / November 25, 2010 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: Let us know

I still get redirected.

Collapse -
Then try
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 25, 2010 7:23 PM PST
In reply to: Still
Collapse -
Kaspersky's TDSSKiller
by bgthompson / December 2, 2010 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: Did you..

I tried this subject solution and lost everything. I could not even start up. I have spent money with Dell to get back on. I don't know why this happened but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone else.

Collapse -
Re: Kaspersky's TDSSKiller
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 6:43 PM PST
In reply to: Kaspersky's TDSSKiller

bgthompson..

My apologies for not responding sooner. I tracked this thread, but never received a notification. I just now saw your post. I'm sorry you experienced a problem with the use of TDSSKiller. However, I feel it's important to make some things clear.

We have recommended the utility countless times, at the Spyware, Viruses & Security forum, after (and when) MBAM and SAS report you clean. We would NOT do so, if we felt it might pose a problem for the members. There are tools we hesitate recommending, for just that reason. TDSSKiller is NOT one of those tools.

I never suggest the use of a tool, I haven't first tried myself. Additionally, I've personally cleaned many a system, where the TDSSKiller has helped. Never once experiencing a problem. There may have been extenuating circumstances in your case. If there were, I wouldn't know.

You may not have any interest (at this point) in reading 8 pages worth of positive feedback about the TDSSKiller, but it's here, if you wish to read it. Or if anyone else, who may now have some doubts, wishes to. (Scroll down to the bottom of the page)

As noted in my prior post, there are other/standard things to try, if the scanners don't help resolve this type of issue. You haven't posted again. I'm hoping it's because Dell helped resolve the issue once and for all.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
TDSSKiller
by bgthompson / December 4, 2010 9:20 PM PST

Thanks Carol. There may have been other problems that caused my problems, I don't know. Dell has got me back up and hopefully all my problems are gone. I thank all of you for your help and advise.

Collapse -
Glad to hear you received the help you needed. :)
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 9:43 PM PST
In reply to: TDSSKiller

But sorry to hear you had to pay for it. Sad

Thanks for posting back and letting us know.. "all is well".

Carol

Collapse -
This is a tuff cookie
by josex26 / November 30, 2010 8:50 AM PST

This virus is one tough cookie to crack. Somehow Mozilla is being attacked because I'm not noting this on Internet Explorer, then again I don't use Internet Explorer commonly :/.

Anyway, so far nothing has worked

TDSSKiller, Hitman Pro 3.5, Malwarebtyes', and Avira.

If anything will help I recommend using rkill from BeepingComputer then running one of the scans provided.

Collapse -
What seems to work
by josex26 / November 30, 2010 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: This is a tuff cookie
Collapse -
Firefox Issues
by mikey73301 / December 1, 2010 7:07 PM PST

I always seem to have issues with my Firefox as well. My take on it is there is some sort of bug that one or more ad-ons may cause it. It might be worth uninstalling Firefox and then reinstalling and only use the add-ons you really use.

Collapse -
XULRunner
by josex26 / December 2, 2010 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox Issues

@ bgthompson

If none of the scans worked try this.

Locate to the following location using the menu on top.
Tools > Add-ons > Extensions

Try disabling XMLRunner, This is a Firefox pre-installed extension but is known to sometimes become corrupted. If disabled, then the problem should not repeat itself.

@Mikey

On the other hand if this is a virus, then uninstall Firefox will not work, because the virus will not be located in Firefox's installation directory.

Collapse -
If all else fails
by PKsteven / December 2, 2010 4:01 PM PST

One can try to "if able" create a new user account, transfer only needed documents, pictures, music, etc.. and make sure security is in place prior. Once you have everything copied over, delete the infected account. It may take a restart if says it could not delete. Then hopefully, you can boot up to the new account without the issue. I would still run a Malwarebytes scan\Anti-virus scan thereafter to be sure.

Collapse -
Something to try
by RELLIKPIR / December 4, 2010 7:06 PM PST

Have you tried running Advanced SystemCare free. It checks for hijacked settings. If that doesn't do It my bet if you have stuff you need to uninstall. RevoUnistaller and uninstall all your toolbars.

Collapse -
Try This - worked on 2 computers I was fixing
by wondr / December 5, 2010 10:04 PM PST
In reply to: Something to try

I've had 2 computers in the last week with this same problem, after many cleaning attemps and malware scans I thought I had it cleaned but to no avail. Looks like ActiveX may be where the problem lies? What worked for me was to reset Internet Explorer settings (even when firefox was the browser).

Here's a link for a real easy way to do that, just click on the "fix this problem" button.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

I then turned off system restore (to clear anything that may be in there) and ran another Malwarebyte scan just to make sure all was clean. Turned system restore back on and created a restore point. Both computers are running great and searching is back to normal. Hope this works for others with the same problem Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.