General discussion

Goodbye Easy-Bake Oven

To encourage energy efficiency, Congress passed a law in 2007 mandating that bulbs producing 100 watts worth of light meet certain efficiency goals, starting in 2012. Conventional light bulbs don't meet those goals, so the law will prohibit making or importing them. The same rule will start apply to remaining bulbs 40 watts and above in 2014. Since January, California has already banned stores from restocking 100-watt incandescent bulbs...

The new bulbs will also be expensive - about $50 each - so the development may not prevent consumers from hoarding traditional bulbs...

More...

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Goodbye Easy-Bake Oven
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Goodbye Easy-Bake Oven
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
There's more we need to learn as well

We'll need to understand color temperature and lumens instead of just watts. These words have been around but we don't really think of them when we go to buy standard bulbs. There is a difference when we try to consider lighting equivalents between the types. I just want to know whether I've selected black or blue socks from my dresser drawer.

- Collapse -
and chicken brooders

Grandma always used those light bulb type of brooders for hatching hers.
Here's a little girl and her chickies hatched from a light bulb brooder.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/brooders.html

We are all idiots though, only if our idiocy is forced from us by government will we finally see the "true" light. How's that "freedom" working out for you? After all, it's just a word isn't it?

Chicken Brooders Cheap.

There's any number of other applications where a light bulb that also supplies heat is preferable, like during the winter in any place when the temps are below . Our cats like a 75 watt incandescent in a clip on light about a foot above the ground during the winter to lay and "sun" themselves under. That creature comfort will be gone eventually, is it 2014?

Starting garden seeds in early spring will require both a light source and now separate heat source to compensate for balancing grow lights with some incandescent bulbs providing both light and heat.

Don't you love the dimness of those outdoor CFL's in the winter since they don't glow as bright when they are cold? How about the slow response of CFL floodlights when triggered by infrared sensor as opposed to the very quick bright light from incandescent floodlights which are on when needed and not seconds or a minute later.

We use a lot of the CFL lights ourselves, but I want the choice of also using incandescents where and when I prefer. One place I prefer incandescent use in the house is for the dimmer lights in the dining room area. CFL's that can dim cost more and don't really do that well, besides being bulky and ugly in such fixtures.

We need to take some of this govt excessive interference in what we CHOOSE to buy and use and flush it down their mandated 1.6 (flush'em twice!) toilets the last fiasco they came up with.

- Collapse -
So why are light bulbs such villains?

We want to be green. What ever happened to manufacturing things that lasted? What we buy today is junk and ends up in the dump faster than ever. We spend to much on product design that looks "cool" rather than be functional an last a long time. Incandescent lamps should be the least of our worries, IMO.

- Collapse -
Thanks for the article.

Leaving aside the Hg question, I get good results from the existing CFL "daylight" bulbs; ca. 6000 Kelvin. The 75-watt equivalents fit my fixtures, give plenty light, and are affordable.

- Collapse -
Ahaa! It's the mercury!

Thanks. That explains a lot. Devil

- Collapse -
Sorry, I just don't get that one.

And I'm always interested in the humor posts with the Devil .

Devil

- Collapse -
Clue...Alice in Wonderland

and something about the term "mad hatter". But that takes the humor away and only leaves the Devil

- Collapse -
(NT) You're right; I should have got it.

CNET Forums