HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

GOOD virus protection & what all I need

by ethellm / January 29, 2006 10:41 PM PST

I bought his piece of junk for 30. bucks & have had headaches ever since. W/ new high spd. connec. better, but what all virus, spyware,adware do I relly need. eally duh at this. HELP!!!!! Thanks everyone.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GOOD virus protection & what all I need
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GOOD virus protection & what all I need
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot info.for you
by ethellm / January 29, 2006 10:44 PM PST

My system is in profile and, do you know what kind of burner I would need for this puter? Also It appears I do not spell well.

Collapse -
I Can Solve 1 Problem For You: IESpell.com ! It Will Allow
by tobeach / February 2, 2006 2:50 PM PST
In reply to: Forgot info.for you

you to spell check messages in board posts (like here)by just right clicking on the post.
Free, Spy/Adware free & pretty accurate to boot! You'll love it (and it'll make you a better speller as well!:
http://www.iespell.com/
Here's a list of well known, legit, safe programs most of which are free but some have free trial period. Again Spy/adware free. Just check site info if compatible w/
Win ME ( usually ok but some are only for NT/XP group):
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=114259&messageID=1298628

I strongly suggest Spybot, Adaware SE & CCleaner (check if compatible).I wouldn't be without all 3! Enjoy!! Grin

Collapse -
Ethellm, More Information Please...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 12:14 AM PST

Although your profile indicates that you have a Windows ME operating system, it doesn't say how much RAM you have installed or how fast that Celeron processor is. It would also help to know the type of fast internet connection you're using.

The RAM can be determined a number of different ways as can the processor speed..One easy way is to install the free Belarc Advisor program below and let it run, then print it out....The program reads all the various installed hardware and software from the computer and allows you to record it in printed form.

That said, since you clearly don't want to spend much money on the computer, you might conside using either of the free antivirus programs from the links below..Although I prefer Avast, you'll get other opinions which prefer AVG..They are both good considering they are free.

Avast
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

AVG Free
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

Next, download, install, update, then run ALL of the free spyware tools from the links below. Keep them updated and run them weekly.:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
Piece of junk
by Lloyd Stuber / January 30, 2006 1:33 AM PST

I agree with Grif wholeheartedly about the programs to install. You can also install a program called Everest Home Edition from Lavalys (available from Cnet).It tells you about all of your hareware and gives you the driver details and the sites in which to upgrade, if needed. If you want better advice, you need to have all the info posted relevant to your computer and also what you intend to use it for.
There is a lot to consider and be aware of when you are connected to the internet all the time, such as firewalls, antivirus, spyware, which browser to use, etc, etc. MY first recommendation to you, ethellm, especially if you are new to the computer and haven't used Windows ME before, is to change your operating system to either Windows 98 SE or to Windows XP (if you can). They are both easier to learn on, especially Win 98, as they are more user friendly. Secondly, I would recommend taking some of the courses offered by Cnet as they are the easiest (and cheapest) way to increase your knowledge.
In answer to your question about a burner, any CD burner should do the trick. Just ask at the store where you intend to buy. You don't need an expensive one, just good quality. The same applies to the blank media. The biggest thing to be aware of when adding new hareware, is that your power supply is big enough to handle it. Cnets course on ''Build Your Own PC'' is an excellent course to find out what you need to know. There are also tons of good websites out there that offer help as well. Good luck and keep asking questions. Lloyd.

Collapse -
Help sites
by Lloyd Stuber / January 30, 2006 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: Piece of junk
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.