TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Good UPS on Sale (price alert)

by bearvp / March 25, 2009 2:11 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good UPS on Sale (price alert)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good UPS on Sale (price alert)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is UPS recommended for use for home tv?
by Bill Osler / March 27, 2009 1:07 AM PDT

I haven't even checked on the power requirements for my receiver and TV and honestly I had not thought too much about getting a UPS. How important might it be?

Collapse -
For some things, it is important
by bearvp / March 27, 2009 2:43 AM PDT

A UPS unit is good for things like a DVR (where you don't want to have shows stop recording during power outages) or components that have cooling fans in them to protect against overheating (such as TVs with lamps). Any projection type TV really should have a UPS because if a TV shuts down during a power outage the light engine inside the TV can be damaged due to overheating since the TV did not have enough time to cool down before deactivating its cooling fan.

Also, Most UPS's protect against brownouts, which can also damage your electronics. And the UPS's will regulate the incoming power to always be 120V so you will have 'cleaner' power to your TV which would make for better performance.

I'm not a big fan of the Belkin and APC UPS's because they are overpriced, but this Cyberpower brand is American made and seems to get good customer/pro reviews. I'll let you know how well it works once it is delivered.

Collapse -
thanks
by givemeaname / March 27, 2009 7:41 AM PDT

Good price, hope the sale last until next month, my credit card is raising my cash back % next month but if not I am sure they will be another sale between now & Augest/Sept for when I need the higher power rating when I get my 58" plasma + I will be able too hookup my DVR too this unlike my current APC UPS. I may even pick a second one, the 350wt one for another room.
Good to know there made in the USA, I perfer to buy made in USA if I have the option.

Sounds like you ordered one?? Can you let me know if you can dim the LCD display!!

Collapse -
for bear and g(wo)man
by jostenmeat / March 29, 2009 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Check out your local Fry's ads for these. It might or might not be just for this weekend, not sure:

APC 450VA UPS battery backup -- $39.99
APC 900VA UPS battery backup -- $79.99 after $15 MIR
APC 1500VA LCD UPS -- $129.99 after $30 MIR
APC 2525 J surge protector -- $9.99 after $5 MI

Collapse -
LCD display
by bearvp / March 30, 2009 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

I did order one an received it on Saturday. The LCD display only comes on when you hit the "Display" button and stays on for a few seconds after inactivity. The blue light around the power button stays on, but it isn't very large. Some people say that they just put a piece of electrical tape over it if it bugged them enough. So far I think it is a good UPS. The display LCD screen shows you a bunch of useful info and according to the runtime predictor, the UPS can power my SXRD TV and HD-DVR for about 30 mins. Not sure how accurate that is, but plenty of time for me to turn off my TV without any issues.

Collapse -
I've been thinking about this ...
by Bill Osler / April 10, 2009 2:52 AM PDT

Using a UPS for an expensive TV system does make sense, but as I read I remembered another issue about UPS systems. Most consumer UPS systems (including the one you linked to) produce a modified sine wave output rather than a pure sine wave like the electric utility company produces. For PCs and some other devices this works just fine. For other devices (especially motors but I don't remember what else) the modified sine wave output creates problems.

That makes me wonder: How do home entertainment electronic devices perform with not-quite-sinusoid power input? I have not seen anything on that subject. My first guess would be that since most home A/V devices have a lot of computer circuitry the regular UPS should work, but I don't know for certain.

Collapse -
sine waves
by bearvp / April 10, 2009 3:33 AM PDT

I also was worried about the true sine wave versus the simulated (blocked) sine wave output, but I chatted with Sony's tech support and they said a simulated sinewave would not adversely affect my SXRD tv at all. The UPS tech support guys told me that any A/V component made within the last 20 years shouldn't have an issue with a simulated sine wave either.

I have my Sony SXRD TV, HD-DVR, and PS3 all hooked up to my UPS now. I don't think I want my Onkyo receiver hooked up because it would really eat up my UPS battery time.

Collapse -
I second....
by RustyDallas / April 10, 2009 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: sine waves

I stressed over pure sine wave for weeks and decided to go with simulated. Frankly, even most of the more expensive units that offer a pure wave only do so when the battery is engaged. During that period, you're really only worried about an orderly shut down anyway. The part I can't answer is whether I would have improved my picture quality had I gone with units that offered better line conditioning than just "AVR". My Belkins might have improved my picture quality a little but not very much. The couple of times my power has gone off while my equipment was on, the UPS's worked like a champ. The only way I even knew my power was off was from the audible alarms.

Rusty

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?