Computer Newbies forum

Good specs for building pc for game development?

by ripqord / October 29, 2013 9:06 AM PDT

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, please let me know otherwise.

Since a young age, I've always loved video games. I've decided that I would get a career in game development. Thing is, I know jack squat about making games. I looked online and found this website called "". I figured perhaps I can learn what I need there, then once I graduate from high school I can learn more at a university (In fact, having a certification from there might help me out with the latter).

I haven't really looked further into the website but I assume the programs they use for their lessons, such as 3ds Max, require nearly the same specs that actual game developers use.

Another thing I know next to jack squat about, building computers. This will be the very first computer I ever build. I'm hoping that this could be a learning experience for me, seeing as how it might be useful for my career choice.

I know a little bit of the obvious stuff, high ram, high clockspeed, though just to be safe feel free to include whatever you think I should know anyway (the two that I mentioned might be all I know anyway, lol).

My budget is around 500 USD, but I'm looking for quality so whatever you think is best is fine, just as long as it's not too far from the budget (unless it's below the budget).

I'm also thinking of dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu, I'm not sure if this will make a difference to anything but I want to mention it just in case.

Thank you so much!

Bonus: Your thoughts on the website I found? Do you think it's best for me as an ultra beginner to game development? Do you recommend anything else? Thanks again!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good specs for building pc for game development?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good specs for building pc for game development?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
The entire budget woule be for the tools.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 9:23 AM PDT

For example I give you the Unity system.
The tool lets you get onto any platform and starts at 1,500. As to the Ubuntu angle, I'm unsure why you are going there as most folk want to target the big user bases.

Collapse -
typo... "would be..."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 9:29 AM PDT

And as to the machine, at that price you might be pressed into something like an AMD A10 desktop.

Collapse -
Yup that is way too much.
by ripqord / October 29, 2013 9:37 AM PDT

And I'm not really concerned about the tools as of yet, I'm assuming the website gives the tools for free or at a discounted price. If not, I'm taking a 3D animation elective so I'll have to see if I can get something for being a student.

As for Ubuntu, I heard that it is highly favorable for programming.

Collapse -
while it may be favored, it's a tough sale.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 9:40 AM PDT

I don't know may linux game programmers that live on the sales of the products. Is your goal to make this a career? One that pays?

PS. For that much, you are looking at the usual AMD A10 systems.

Collapse -
My goal...
by ripqord / October 29, 2013 9:49 AM PDT

...right now with this computer is to use it for learning from the website. It's still far too early for me to get into professional game development.

The AMD A10, is that like a motherboard? A processor? I searched google but the results weren't very clear as to what it is. Please forgive me, as I've said I am fairly new to this.

Collapse -
It's an APU
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: My goal...

AMD has this new combo GPU and CPU called the APU. The AMD A10 APU would get you some good game graphics performance at that price point.

If your budget was about 1K then we can look at i7 Haswell dual GPU laptops.

Collapse -
Looks good.
by ripqord / October 29, 2013 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: It's an APU

It looks good, found it for about $129 on Newegg. It looks promising enough. What do you recommend for a graphics card? And will it make any difference what I choose for everything else such as motherboard or a power source?

Also any links to perhaps a guide for the assembly would be very helpful as well.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks good.

I don't recommend folk build their own when they are new to this area. Here's an AMD A10 Toshiba the office loans me. It was at and the office paid 355 for that. Sort of hard to ignore for a beginning programmer.

At 1,200 you see the usual i7 Haswell, 16GB RAM, dual gpu and more at

You make me wonder if you want to tackle building a PC, wrestling with Windows installs (the driver hunts are infamous) or are you really after getting into programming?

Collapse -
Re good specs for......
by silverwolfTF / November 4, 2013 1:09 PM PST

You are very similar to me Happy Ive found UDK here to be an excellent starting point for young game developers, it uses generic file types for imports, has an excellent visual scripting system, and a HUGE fanbase. Oh and ITS FREE!!
For game development you definately want dedicated graphics, integrated cant render worth a buttered biscuit, even on my own system (its an extreme one) which HAS dedicated graphics can take up to 3 hours to render production quality light and shaddows! Ive built 3 systems now using the AMD A series chips in my opinion they dont have what it takes to do more than play games at decent settings.
what I suggest.

It aint the best but it should fall in close to your pricepoint.

AMD FX series CPU (around 100$) ex here

Sapphire radeon 7770 vapor X (115-120$) ex here

motherboard here

RAM here

HDD here

case with PSU here

Just in my head thats about 420$

(Dont know if you need a DVD drive to install windows anymore, they run about 20 bucks now)

a pretty good system too!
Good luck!!!

Collapse -
Forgot something!!!!! D:
by silverwolfTF / November 4, 2013 1:14 PM PST

Im sorry I forgot The OS

that by my rough and somewhat higher than real live prices puts the system at 510$.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?