Peripherals forum

General discussion

Good Printer for under $100

by tinybott22 / February 4, 2006 4:59 PM PST

I been searching for over a week trying to find a printer or all-in-one under $100. I don't print very often, but I don't want my ink to disappear because I'm not using it everyday. I don't print many colored documents. But I don't want my printer not to work because all of my colored ink isn't full when I only want to print black and white documents.

I have been looking at the Brother MFC-210C and the down side that I've heard was that you can't print black and white if the colors aren't full. It also self cleans causing your ink to run out.

Another I was considering is the Epson Stylus CX3810. I read a couple reviews about clogging that makes printer worthless.

I just want something that's not expensive, that I could use cheap ink refills with, and will print black and white when color is low.

Please Help!! This has been really frustrating cause even some more expensive brands have had similar issues. Anyway, thanks for reading all of this. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good Printer for under $100
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good Printer for under $100
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at...
by Willy / February 4, 2006 9:23 PM PST

According to you, you hardly use the printer yet you want it ready at any given notice and it be an inkjet type. The fact is inkjets sooner or later will clog or degrade in print output. Many makers and those that advise on keeping a inkjet in shape suggest you "print something" just to keep it clog free for best operation on a regular basis. Then on top of that you want it to be $100 or less, so don't expect too much in that price range.

I suggest you stay away from any Epson printer, period. Just about any other printer that has removable ink carts to include inkjets(printhead) be the type you go for. As for price, settle on what makes you comfortable. Otherwise find a cheap $50 printer when on sale or not, get it and when it has problems, pitch it and get another one. However, if you do alot of black(monochrome) printing, seriously consider a b&w laser printer, even step-up to a color laser on lowend offerings.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks Willy
by tinybott22 / February 5, 2006 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: Look at...

Thanks for you advice Willy. I have been checking on the b&w laser printers too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.