Phones forum

General discussion

Good phones with full keyboards?

by sdub / January 16, 2006 4:37 PM PST

I have a cell phone (through T-mobile) - one of their little generic ones (it's a Nokia, and a nice phone) but I do a lot of texting, so I'd like to get a phone with a full keyboard.

I've been having problems finding phones with that though (I've tried doing searches for "QWERTY phones" and "full keyboard cell phones" but I haven't found much). A friend of mine has an LG 9100, but hasn't had it for long and I've heard LG phones aren't really that great (though she loves hers).

So I was wondering if you guys could suggest some good phones with a full keyboard? The only other specification I'd say is that it comes with IM programs (like YIM, AIM, and MSN specifically) though this isn't a "must". Price-wise and everythign else I'm not really concerned with yet. I'd just like to know what I can consider before I start putting other guidelines on it. (They don't necessarily have to be compatible with T-Mobile as well. So don't worry about that either please.) Thanks! Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good phones with full keyboards?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good phones with full keyboards?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Blackberry?
by x Trooper x / January 17, 2006 6:52 AM PST
Collapse -
Communicator
by tychocat / January 18, 2006 1:49 PM PST

If I understand what you're looking for, you're needing a cell phone that specializes in messaging. It sounds like you're looking for a cell that is called a "communicator". Examples are the Nokia 9500, or LG E910. Most of these are kinda bulky, since they're thick enough to house a separate keyboard and long display.

Collapse -
Try this
by FlipWalter76 / January 19, 2006 1:49 AM PST

Motorola A630. its the smallest qwerty phone out there. i am suprised there arent more like it.

Collapse -
Motorola A630 works great
by sarahg1975 / January 22, 2006 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

I have a Motorolal A630 through T-Mobile and it works great for text messaging. The keys are evenly spaced and work great.

--sarah

Collapse -
= )
by sdub / January 26, 2006 12:38 PM PST

Thank you. Good to hear that - I've had a Motorola before and it didn't work very well. I'm rather loathe to get another but knowing that it's working well is always good to hear.

Collapse -
You're hating an entire brand by one bad experience?
by mriduan / March 29, 2006 9:23 PM PST
In reply to: = )

That's a bit immature, but it's sad to say that in today's world many people do it. It's likes saying that all Chevy's suck because your one Chevy truck broke down, and you never had a Ford break down. Hundreds of people drive both Chevy's and Ford's every day without a problem, just as they carry Motorolas -- Else they wouldn't be on the market in EVERY major cell phone carrier.

Collapse -
Not just ONE experience...
by sdub / April 24, 2006 9:58 PM PDT

I actually have several friends that have similar problems with their motorolas. And when we went in to the dealer's repair center to have them look at it THEY even said it was a common problem among motorolas.

So yes, it is just ONE experience that I have had, but it's also one that people I know have had, and apparantly many people I don't know have had.

I'm not so rash as to mark a company off becuase of one thing. I have many reasons for doing things, but in the interest of post length I'm not going to go into massive detail about it.

Now, although I understand what you're saying and why you posted this, I really don't see any point to your post. You certainly didn't give me any suggestions, you simply criticized me for having my (rightful) opinion.

Collapse -
Bad Connection
by Unreal_images / January 27, 2006 4:17 PM PST

I have the Motorola A630 and it seems that it has the same problem that I have had with other Motorola phones I have owned. (ie V300 and the V330) The place where you connect the charger to after awhile has to be messed with in order for the thing to charge.

Now I do not know if it is just me or there are other owners out there who seem to have the same problem. There is a rumor out there that seems to agree with me.

Collapse -
Had my A630 for over a year
by sarahg1975 / January 28, 2006 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: Bad Connection

I've had my A630 for a long time and I've had no problems connecting the charger to it. I was even able to pick up a usb charger that I could connect to my laptop to charge it while I'm at work.

I haven't heard nor read of this "rumor" until this message post.

--sarah

Collapse -
Connection
by Unreal_images / January 28, 2006 5:34 PM PST

Well I have had mine for well over a year and I seem to have the following problems. The phone has a problem with the charger connection, (which I had a conversation with people at the T-mobile store where I live and seem to agree with me that it spans all Motorola phones with that type of connection) the phone will freeze and not a loud enough ringer even when the phone is turned all the way up.

This problem as well as just plain needed a phone with better applications have caused me to find something better. If you are looking for just a phone bent on text messaging all the time then this phone is for you.

Collapse -
Problems
by Unreal_images / January 28, 2006 5:34 PM PST

Well I have had mine for well over a year and I seem to have the following problems. The phone has a problem with the charger connection, (which I had a conversation with people at the T-mobile store where I live and seem to agree with me that it spans all Motorola phones with that type of connection) the phone will freeze and not a loud enough ringer even when the phone is turned all the way up.

This problem as well as just plain needed a phone with better applications have caused me to find something better. If you are looking for just a phone bent on text messaging all the time then this phone is for you.

Collapse -
same thing
by Solon / February 26, 2006 11:08 AM PST
In reply to: Bad Connection

wow, i am so glad it's not just me. It's just like you said, except it was only two weeks old when it started. what a pain...

Collapse -
Try Sony Ericcson's P910a
by femgeek1 / January 19, 2006 6:01 AM PST

it's a high end smartphone that also has a qwerty keyboard that's detachable. Fully loaded, I think Cingular is the service provider.

Collapse -
Five Models from Nokia
by Triz / January 25, 2006 5:21 AM PST
Collapse -
link correction
by Triz / January 25, 2006 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: Five Models from Nokia
Collapse -
Thank you
by sdub / January 26, 2006 12:37 PM PST
In reply to: Five Models from Nokia

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look at all of them. = )

Collapse -
You would probably like the UTstarcom XV6700 (Audiovox)
by mindbender / February 20, 2006 5:14 AM PST

I got this phone a few weeks ago and it's terrific. With a keyboard that my fingers can manipulate, an MP3 player, and running Windows Mobile 5.0 - this phone has eliminated the following:
Daytimer
Address book
Calculator
MP3 player
Notepad
old phone

Needless to say, this is a lot more convenient.

Collapse -
If you already have T-Mobile I'd say Sidekick ||
by hd5557 / February 20, 2006 6:50 AM PST

T-Mobile Sidekick || Rocks even celebrities have it!!

Collapse -
For "mister_lay_z"
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 21, 2006 6:59 PM PST

Your post is rude and uncalled for. Your further explanation that you were only "making a suggestion" is insufficient as an apology for your rude manner.

Your post is deleted. Please review Forum Policies before making another post.

For "sdub" and "diane e", as I have deleted mister_lay_z's post, your replies to him are now orphaned and so are also lost. Just so that you know.

Mark

Collapse -
LG 9100 is very nice
by jbroshear / February 28, 2006 10:21 PM PST

Listen to your friend. The LG 9100 is terrific.

Collapse -
For your consideration...
by cca009 / April 25, 2006 2:07 AM PDT

The Samsung D307. I just bought one unlocked off eBay. It's not here yet so I can't give you a full review but it looks like it might meet your requirements. I know it did mine. I wanted at phone that was easy to text from that wasn't huge. Plus I wanted both GSM frequencies so it would have a better connection. Since I got it unlocked I can go with either GSM carrier (Cingular or TMobile) and take my phone with me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?