Question

Good PC for HD editing in Adobe AFX/Premiere/PS?

I am looking for a PC (looking into HP or Dell mostly) that will run smoothly editing HD video in After Effects, Premiere Pro, as well as editing photos in Photoshop and Bridge. My budget is around $1250-1500. I need the portability of a laptop, so a desktop is out of the question. Ideally, I would like somewhere near 8 gigs of RAM. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Good PC for HD editing in Adobe AFX/Premiere/PS?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Good PC for HD editing in Adobe AFX/Premiere/PS?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
There are a lot of nice laptops that I'd suggest.

Let's start with the Dell XPS line. And let's be clear, even the top end desktop STILL work hard at editing HD video. You can wish for better but for now, today, we have to be patient as the computers grind away at the task.
Bob

- Collapse -
Let me clarify.

Forgot to add this in the original question but I won't be editing heavily. I'd say no more than 1 or 2 hours a day, and nothing with a final product longer than 5 or 6 minutes. Mostly skate and snowboard montages. If that helps at all, nowhere near full length films, and very unlikely that it would even be used to edit 10 minute shorts.

- Collapse -
Even 10 minutes of HD can tax a big machine.

I find many of today's newer owners to be impatient and wonder why machines or software is so slow.
Bob

- Collapse -
Slow isn't the problem

My current computer isn't slow. It will lag after a clip has been imported and then proceed to crash the program after, even with nothing but that program up. I wouldn't mind slow at this point.

- Collapse -
And more about that crash.

I've seen good machines with apps that crash on video work. Often we nail it down to a certain clip or a bug in the app. If folk think a new machine can fix that, I have a tour of bridges for sale starting in 4 hours.
Bob

CNET Forums