Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Good Iraq news

1. Iraq's Sunnis urged to vote in future:

A Sunni Arab group called on Sunnis to take part in future elections on Monday and a leading Sunni hard-line cleric condemned kidnappings, as police searched for a top Egyptian diplomat seized over the weekend.

Sunnis boycotted the Jan. 30 vote, which went overwhelmingly to Shiites -- an outcome that boosted the Sunni-led insurgency by convincing many Sunnis they would be marginalized in the new Iraq.

Political efforts to encourage Sunni extremists to join in the building of a new Iraq received a boost Monday when Dr. Adnan Al-Dulami, spokesman of the General Conference for Sunnis in Iraq, called on Sunnis "to organize themselves to take part in the coming elections and to start to register their names at the offices of the electoral commission."

He said Sunni clerics would soon issue a religious decree repeating the call. Clerics were at the forefront of boycott calls before the January election.

If Iraq's Sunnis decide to join in the process of forming a new Iraq, it isolates the former Saddamites and Sunni Islamists of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi even more - and makes it likely that more and more of these people will find themselves ratted out to U.S. and Iraqi government forces by the citizenry.

2. US delight as Iraqi rebels turn their guns on al-Qa'eda:

American troops on the Syrian border are enjoying a battle they have long waited to see - a clash between foreign al-Qa'eda fighters and Iraqi insurgents.

Tribal leaders in Husaybah are attacking followers of Abu Musab Zarqawi, the Jordanian-born terrorist who established the town as an entry point for al-Qa'eda jihadists being smuggled into the country.

The reason, the US military believes, is frustration at the heavy-handed approach of the foreigners, who have kidnapped and assassinated local leaders and imposed a strict Islamic code.

Fighting, which could be clearly heard at night over the weekend, first broke out in May when as many as 50 mortar rounds were fired across the city. But, to the surprise of the American garrison, this time it was not the target.

If a shell landed near the US base, "they'd adjust their fire and not shoot at us", Lt Col Tim Mundy said. "They shot at each other."

As soon as they settle their differences (hopefully as violently as possible with as few casualties among innocents as possible), there will be far fewer of them for Iraqi and U.S. forces to deal with...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good Iraq news
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good Iraq news
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) it is hopefull

In reply to: Good Iraq news

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) But Bush Lied, people died !!!!!

Collapse -
I guess nobody was listening to me either

when I suggested long ago that the true course for peace in that area would be for a 'civil war' to happen between those two factions......all I can say is "it's about time"....especially with the Sunni's perhaps coming to the election table.

Now why didn't anybody in our government return my call when I tried to tell them this? heheheh

TONI

Collapse -
true course for peace in that area would be for a 'civil war

In reply to: I guess nobody was listening to me either

Iraqi govt admits abuses by security forces

Iraq's Government has acknowledged that some of its new security forces are resorting to the sort of torture and abuses of detainees seen under Saddam Hussein as they struggle to put down Sunni Arab insurgents.

''At the end of the day, I'm sorry to say that we are living in a society where the culture now accepts these violations. I'm sorry to say the culture of violence has spread.''

With civil war a threat in Iraq, US officials said they are especially concerned about sectarian and ethnic tensions underlying some of the allegations against the security forces and militias endorsed by the Shiite and Kurd-led government.

They probably didn't return your call because they appear to be ''especially concerned'' about an uncivil war.
Collapse -
The Sunnis were the one faction

In reply to: true course for peace in that area would be for a 'civil war

inside of Iraq that everybody already realized were not going to immediately go along with the elections and many of the insurgents were from that faction. However, it would have been nice of you to at least also quote and bold the following statements from that article rather than pick and choose only the parts you feel will cause the reaction you want with your 'finger pointing' as usual....

"Responding to the latest of numerous reports alleging the widespread use of irregular arrests and of violence against prisoners by Iraqi police and other security units, a Government spokesman blamed it in part on the brutalising of Iraqi society under Saddam and said ministers were addressing the problem.

"These things happen. We know that," Laith Kubba told a news briefing after a report in Britain's Observer newspaper detailed allegations of death squads and secret torture centres."

and......

" The United States and Britain, the new Government's main backers, have voiced concern.

Both have been embarrassed by killings and abuse of Iraqis by their own forces after they had justified invasion partly on the grounds of Saddam's repression."

and....

"The Interior Ministry, which some leaders of Saddam's formerly dominant Sunni Arab minority accuse of sanctioning reprisals by Shiite death squads, flatly denied overseeing torture and said protecting human rights was a priority."

So......with the Sunni faction now being encouraged by their own leaders to be part of the election process and negotiating with the others, this may not end up being the 'uncivil' war you seem to expect.

TONI

Collapse -
There is no "civil" in civil war

In reply to: The Sunnis were the one faction

It appeared that you favoured a "civil war"

Collapse -
It's always better

In reply to: There is no "civil" in civil war

in my opinion for the people of a country to stand up for themselves to be rid of the bad guys trying to take it over....although I don't condone the allegations that the Iraqi security forces are using inhumane incidents, whether isolated or not, I DO believe that the message to the Sunnis is getting through in that their lives would be alot easier if they joined in the new Iraq and stopped the in-country fighting and killing 'their own'.

The 'civil war' I DO condone is the one between Al-Qa'eda and the Iraqi insurgents......let them kill off each other as rapidly as possible.

TONI

Collapse -
Why would civil war = peace, Toni?

In reply to: I guess nobody was listening to me either

I'd think it would be just the opposite In fact, that's one of the big fears of those who opposed taking Saddam out -- that Iraq w/o Saddam, bad as he was, would go the way of Yugoslavia w/o Tito.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Confusing the issue

In reply to: Why would civil war = peace, Toni?

First...the civil war I condone is the one between Al-Qa'eda and the Iraqi insurgents.....let both sides wipe out as many on the other side as possible.

Second...the 'civil war' people suspected would happen would be the Sunnis against the rest of Iraq, and many of the insurgents are considered to be exactly that faction. However, the Sunnis desiring peace are being invited to the table of building the new Iraq...and if enough of them go that route, there will be far fewer Sunni insurgents to deal with, and an Iraqi civil war that is actually occurring now would cease.

TONI

Collapse -
yea dave we should have left saddam in power

In reply to: Why would civil war = peace, Toni?

he could have killed all the people

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.