Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Good Housekeeping tip

by Angeline Booher / July 4, 2005 11:15 PM PDT

(from my mailbox)

"TIP . . . Always keep several get well cards on the mantel..... so if unexpected guests arrive, they will think you've been sick and unable to clean."

(Another I heard years ago was to set up the ironing board with accompanying paraphernalia so unexpected guests think you have been busy ironing.):-)

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good Housekeeping tip
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good Housekeeping tip
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
and don't forget
by MKay / July 4, 2005 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Good Housekeeping tip

my old trick pull the vacuum oo the closet to the middle of the living room... Of course I was just getting ready to clean house....

Collapse -
I've discovered
by TONI H / July 4, 2005 11:52 PM PDT

that the fastest way to have your neighbors show up to see what progress you're making on the landscaping is to thoroughly clean the INSIDE, then go OUTSIDE and trek all that crap back into the house on your shoes, barefeet, and clothes.....and then have them ask if they can use your now filthy again bathroom before they leave. I've gotten to where I hand them a shovel as they enter so they can dig their way into that room.......

TONI

Collapse -
Dishes?
by gooslojo / July 5, 2005 12:09 AM PDT

I Grab a hand towel real fast before answering the door.It gives the impression you were Starting/in the middle of/finishing the dishes(or loading dishwasher!)
BTW,I know there are more guys out there that house clean!Come on fellas,take off your apron and post a tip!
Besides,I clean house better than my g/f

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I just don't let anyone unannounced in the door ;-)
by Evie / July 5, 2005 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Dishes?
Collapse -
i let the wife "entertain" for a few minutes
by jonah jones / July 5, 2005 12:58 AM PDT

then i grab a dish cloth, crawl out the door and ask if it's ok to take a break...

works evry time Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That made me chuckle!
by Cindi Haynes / July 5, 2005 2:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Here's how I do it
by Steven Haninger / July 5, 2005 2:42 AM PDT

I tell my wife I'm having a small gathering for the coming weekend....''just family and friends....so don't do anything special''. By some miracle, the place becomes clean...It works every time. Devil

Collapse -
re:
by MKay / July 5, 2005 5:10 AM PDT

The two worst jobs are cleaning the oven(I have to get really hungry b4 I use it again) and window washing(No birds are accidently crasing into MY windows)

Collapse -
Toilets ...
by Evie / July 5, 2005 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

... (or more accurately surrounding floors/objects) if there are men/boys in the house! They should all be trained to sit and tuck Wink

Evie Happy

Collapse -
You need to read your own post
by Steven Haninger / July 5, 2005 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Toilets ...

about window cleaning and apply it to toilets. If the outside is already dirty (because you have guys in the house) why bother cleaning the inside? Wink

Collapse -
Derek got tired of having to scrub
by TONI H / July 5, 2005 5:50 AM PDT

the floor and seat all the time (I refused to do it for him) and he started going out on the porch and using the grass and bushes instead.......then I chased him to the fence lines since he was killing my stuff. Then he tried to be a real smarty and decided to crap in the woods....until he got poison oak all over his 9-year-old butt, couldn't sit down in school and I had to pick him up, bring him home, and watched his head hit the ceiling fan when I scrubbed his butt down with bleach.

He immediately stopped shaking his 'thang' so hard in the bathroom, and learned NOT to turn his whole body when he turned his head while daydreaming as he was going.

TONI

Collapse -
Hubby used to go out back ...
by Evie / July 5, 2005 6:04 AM PDT

... until we got neighbors. Unfortunately waiting for him to clean "his" toilet only makes it worse when I eventually do! Sinks & toilets are my job cuz he gets nauseous. I figure it's worse if I have to clean up puke AND the other stuff!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
LOL
by Evie / July 5, 2005 6:02 AM PDT

What's frustrating here is that we have a lot of iron in our well water. In the lesser used toilets, it's enough to settle out and leave a brown film that looks just like a toilet that hasn't been cleaned in months. It is especially embarrassing with the upstairs toilet that only gets used with guests. I have forgotten a time or two to clean that toilet before guests arrive, easy to forget since it hasn't been used since it was cleaned after the previous guests left!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Windows ...
by Evie / July 5, 2005 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

... what a PITA most new ones are. My mom had windows that tilted in for easy cleaning of the outer surface. My newer windows offer no such option it really is a royal PITA to wash the outside. My motto is that if the outside is dirty anyway, why bother cleaning the inside?

Evie Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?