Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Good freeware AV?

anyone got any names or links for good av software? now that avg is being discontinued the hunt is on.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good freeware AV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good freeware AV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
N/P AVG Free is not being discontinued...

In reply to: Good freeware AV?

Collapse -
AVG Free AV is still good.

In reply to: N/P AVG Free is not being discontinued...

I won't use AVG Antispyware from http://free.grisoft.com or from www.majorgeeks.com, referred to other and both are 30 day trails. I made the error of installing that but I may be leaving. So I used this link: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ewido/ for it was the correct one, squars are not colored but black and gray, shield in unavailable & everything below Automatic Updates is greyed out. After 30 days if you don't pay, this is what it will look like. I can slep with a good conscience.
Darrell L

Collapse -
You're Right, Darrell. AVG AS (Ewido) Is Reduced in Function

In reply to: AVG Free AV is still good.

after 30 day trial, but you only loose background guard & "Auto" update.
To update manually, you just, while online, click the "start update" button and about 3 seconds later you're updated. I use "manual" on all updates on all programs I have to avoid random outcalls while I'm on net. No problem.
The background guard is nice to have (if you like the price) as long as it's not fighting with other background guards you might have (Spybot Tea Timer or Norton or ZA or ..etc.

AS is still a great scanner with one of the most extensive threat bases around and does a good job removing/fixing problems even after the 30 days are up. Better, I admit, to prevent than cure.

When it was Ewido (older versions )I knew several people who's machines went into revolt when Ewido background was engaged (probably conflicts with others guards). They either removed or disabled guard manually.

Having just finished trial period 4 weeks ago, I have kept free parts and haven't had any conflict problems from initial install. I suspect the changes ,since joining AVG ,have smoothed out the program.

Certainly as or more useful than many other freebies. JMHO. Grin

Collapse -
Darrell, that subject has been slightly changed...

In reply to: AVG Free AV is still good.

The poster asked about anti-virus software. Hope he/she is not confused between the AVG Free Anti-Virus and AVG Anti-Spyware. Both are good tools even after the 30 period for the anti-spyware.

Hope this makes the distinction that we are talking about two different software programs. Wink

Glenn

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.