PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Good cooling for Socket A processor?

What is your suggestion for air cooling of a Socket A processor?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good cooling for Socket A processor?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good cooling for Socket A processor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT)a non-cheap $20+ heatsink/fan combo

In reply to: Good cooling for Socket A processor?

Collapse -
Thermalright

anything Thermalright has will be the best aircooling you can buy

if not, consider some of Thermaltake's $30 ranged stuff, or Zalman's 92MM based cooler (it's huge, and won't work with some boards)

$20 for a HSF is way to cheap

Collapse -
My solution was a ZALMAN

Flower cooler with 120 mm fan that mounts on your pci screwz, ugly, little hassle but worth it. it's QUIET!!! Comes with a speed control for the fan , way cool...and did I say quiet? Use these guys they're local:

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/cnps6000.html

Collapse -
your temperatures are?

In reply to: My solution was a ZALMAN

just wondering, never seen those in deployment on an AthlonXP/higher K7

but I have heard tell of them on Socket 370 and lower K7's (Athlon's, and older Duron's) and working great

but I would personally suggest this one
http://store.yahoo.com/directron/cnps7700alcu.html

if you'd like Zalman/if your motherboard supports it (as it's an excellent cooler)

one thing you need to keep in mind, both of the Zalman coolers listed here go WELL OVER the maximum weight spec'd for Socket A by AMD, which is set at 300g, and both of these easily surpass that

the one I linked to however uses a backplate (simmilar to Pentium 4 coolers) which can help in removing some weight from the actual socket

http://www.xoxide.com/thermalright-si-97-cpu-cooler.html
^ that is the cooler I have and the cooler I would buy again, and again, if I needed a good Socket A heatsink

while it is BIG (that top "level" is 92MM exactly, for a 92MM fan to sit on) it weighs only 280g
without fan

WITH a fan it's around 400, which is safe (while 300 is the max, you can go over a bit) as long as your not moving the computer around a lot (i.e. if you LAN party just be a little more careful)

http://www.xoxide.com/thsibofork7a.html
^ that is also a decent cooler, it won't have performance on par with the SI-97, but it's cheaper (it does however include a fan)

i'm not seeing a weight stated, but i'm guessing it's at or close to 300g (most of Thermaltake's reference style coolers are, by reference I mean simmilar to the stock cooler AMD themsevles uses (Which is just the basic heatsink with a fan on top, no fancy heat pipes or towers)

as for tower heatsinks, while they may provide some of the BEST TEMPERATURES YOU HAVE EVER SEEN, they WEIGH A LOT (I believe the Tower 112 is around 900g unladen with fans) they will rip sockets off of motherboards

I remember in one review a tester was using an EPoX board that had already died as an example, he put in an old CPU, dropped the board 1" and it bounced the heat sink off, taking the CPU and the ZIF socket (the entire plastic socket) right off the board

that destroyed the board, needless to say, and it showed how oversized those are for that application

if your using a Pentium 4 (this is a side note) however the tower design heatsinks are excellent, assuming you can mount it correctly and that you use correct fans

I have seen 4GHZ (4000MHZ) achived on a Pentium 4 using this cooler:
http://www.xoxide.com/clp0025.html

do not try this at home (either hitting 4GHZ, or using that cooler on AthlonXP) i'm just telling that to show their effectiveness at cooling

most of Thermaltake's higher shelf coolers should be avoided, they would include:

SonicTower
BigTyphoon
The Beetle
The Pipe101

and Asus' cooler attempt in the form of StarIce should also be avoided

these are being suggested for avoidance given that their almost as big as the motherboard itself (Sonic Tower has mounting points for a pair of 120MM fans (if you've ever seen one, you realize how huge this thing really is)

Collapse -
They are sweet

In reply to: My solution was a ZALMAN

I bought a Zalman, and they are so quiet, it is hard to believe that something that big can be so quiet, you could almost cool your house with it....lol. However, the thing was too big, to use on the MOBO, that I had in mind, because the power supply gets in the way. So, I may have to put it up on eBay, or save it for another MOBO, I hate to get rid of it. It is sweet!

Collapse -
Good cooling for Socket A processor?

Which one??? There are many with different cooling requirments. John

Collapse -
More Info Please

You probably should include the MOBO info, and the system info, so people have an idea of what to suggest. Also, you may want to include what you plan on using the computer for, such as gaming and such.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!