General discussion

Good college laptop

As the title states, I'm in the market for a new laptop. I've been shopping for two months online and in stores, but haven't seen a machine that "WOW"ed me. I am a student, so a limited budget needs to be considered. I am trying to beat a deal I have set up with lenovo, and I am looking at several machines. Battery life is crucial for me, since my dad's laptop lasts about 2 hs.

Configured Lenovo with a double upgrade to beat:

THINKPAD E520 1 YR DEPOT WARRANTY $657.92
2NDGICI5-2520M IHDGR200
GENUWIN7PROFES.64
GN WN7 PRF64 ENGLISH
15.6 W HD ANTI-GL BLACK
INTEL HD GR
4GBPC3-10600DDR3 1333SODMM
K US ENGLISH
720P HD CAM AND INT MCRPH
500GB HRD DSK DRV,7200RPM
MULTI RECORDER OPT DRV
9 CELL LI-ION BATTERY
LENOVO THINKPAD LANGUAGE / LOCALIZATION KIT
INTELCENTRINOWIRELESSN1000
NO WWAN SUPPORT
LP US ENGLISH
LENOVO THINKPLUS NON-RETURN HARD DRIVE OFFERING - EXTENDED SERVICE AGREEMENT - 1 YEAR $0.00

Sub Total $657.92 Sales Tax $54.28 Shipping / Handling $0.00 -----
Total $712.20

Possibly considering:
Lenovo Y560 with 2nd gen I7 @ $679 before tax
Asus A52F with first gen I5 @ $589

Thanks for your advice.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Good college laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Good college laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Battery? i7?

Both are terrible ideas. Any one crazy enough to get a quad core i7 should always ask for 8 hour battery packs.

And with the battery being the usual 300 cycle unit, who runs on battery when AC is around.

The Asus looks better from this view.
Bob

- Collapse -
Lenovo Edge

The configured lenovo has a 2nd gen I5 with a 9 cell battery. Wouldn't that beat the Asus's battery life? Also have family working at IBM, so (hopefully not necessary) repair work would be a snap.

- Collapse -
No.

I looked at both and found 300 cycle battery life. I wonder if you meant running time. For that I have to look at the specs or better yet a review.
Bob

- Collapse -
Consider warranty

Most ASUS I have looked at have a 2 year warranty. The first year also includes drop coverage, which could come in handy at college. Check to see if the one you listed has that. Might tip you towards ASUS.

- Collapse -
Re: Good college laptop

Asus would be far more better for a college laptop.

CNET Forums