Camcorders forum

General discussion

good camcorder under $300?

by drift2onr / December 11, 2007 9:40 PM PST

Looking for a camcorder to take ok-good quality video for under $300.
I don't need something very fancy and highDef, just something for messing around with.

What I'm looking for:
Takes ok-good quality video in low light
Preferably flash, but miniDV is fine
good audio
preferably nightshot and night vision, but without is fine as well
good battery life
20x zoom or more
doesn't need to take photos or good photoas as I own a nikon D50 and sony dsc-w90

If miniDV, please explain what I need for it to connect to the PC(firmwire or w.e it is)and how.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: good camcorder under $300?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: good camcorder under $300?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you found any?
by boya84 / December 11, 2007 10:19 PM PST

If you are able to get us to a short list of what you have found that might meet you requirements, we *could* help...

I *think* the closest you will get is a Canon ZR800. Amazon shows $198. 35x zoom. No nightshot or night vision. No camera comes with a good batter in the box. You need to get an extra one.

It is miniDV. That means 4-pin camera side to 4 or 6 pin computer side (depends which Firewire 400 port you have on your computer - or what you install).

Collapse -
by drift2onr / December 11, 2007 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: Have you found any?

if you go to and look from in the under $300, they have about 10 camcorders within the $300 range. The main one I've been looking at is the samsung mx10 and aiptek GO-HD, both are flash, i Heard the mx10 is pretty good except for very bad low light videos and the aiptek is amazing except for its audio quality.

I also looked into the samsung SC-DC173U. It has miniDV and a sd card slot.

Which of these threeor others are the best in the under $300 range

Collapse -
aiptek = So far the toy of camcorders.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2007 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: types

Have you owned one of their products? So far I'm going write these are no more than toys.

Collapse -
by drift2onr / December 11, 2007 11:44 PM PST

yes, I've heard aiptek are of very cheap quality and make camcorders more suitable to teenagers and sort(which i am) but this is the best camcorder they make, Videos I found of this camcorder were actually very good for the price but audio was extremely horrible

Collapse -
"horrible" audio.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2007 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: aiptek

Now dim the lights and compare with any name brand.

Collapse -
by drift2onr / December 12, 2007 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: "horrible" audio.

ok..please give input on camcorders under, not just desecrating aiptek lol.

Collapse -
Look in this forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2007 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: ok..

You'll find the usual Canon zr800 (for those that want great audio with extenal mics), the zr850 for those that don't care and other models.

-> To wit. Your question is not a new one so I think you should look at the other posts with the same question.

Collapse -
Samsung MX10
by nascarnut30 / October 18, 2009 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: types

I just purchased a Samsung MX10 yesterday. I'll be returning it tomorrow
because the video quality is horrible. I have no idea how they came up with 10 megapixel and HD. I was very disappointed and am not hard to please.

Collapse -
camcorder way under $300
by tern02 / December 14, 2010 12:56 PM PST

Check out the Sanyo Xacti VPC-GH2 Camcorder at $179.00 right now for a new one. Won't have the 20X Zoom. But is HD and uses a flash card. And does shoot 14MP still shoots. Also check out the video review on UTube. This little camcorder will take excellent hi-def video and stills plus has good audio. Also uses 3 different types of flash cards. The down side the newer SDXC cards cost way too much! But will work well with the other two types of flash cards and they are affordable. You will probably want acouple extra batteries on hand. All I personally can say is that I have read the reviews and watched the UTube Video review myself. And have ordered one of these camcorders for myself. I didn't want to spend too much money for a camcorder either.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?