Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Good Camcorder

by steerxxx / December 14, 2008 12:20 AM PST

I'm in need of a good camcorder for just recording my life... the majority of the videos are going to be put directly on YouTube, as I will be making a video diary/youtube series.
I'm moving to Australia for Graduate School, so I want to record and share the whole experience..
so any help on a video camera would be great.. I was looking at the
Canon Vixia HF10

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good Camcorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good Camcorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some questions...
by boya84 / December 14, 2008 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: Good Camcorder

What computer do you plan to edit with?

What video editing application do you plan on editing with? Do you know that it will handle AVCHD encoded video?

What do plan to use for archiving video?

Collapse -
answers
by steerxxx / December 14, 2008 6:54 AM PST
In reply to: Some questions...

I'm going to use some scan disc cards, or some jump drives to store videos on...
I really dont' have any editing programs.. I have whatever comes with the Roxio..

I have a Dell XPSM1210, with Windows Vista

Collapse -
Chances are good
by boya84 / December 14, 2008 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: answers

it won't deal with AVCHD input... but that is up to you to research and I don't know what version of Roxio you are dealing with. I don't know how much time you plan to record or plan to be abroad - electronic mass storage (SD cards, jump drives, etc) is not a good/safe method for long term digital file storage. External hard drive barely is acceptable. Digital tape is best.

According to
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1210?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&~section=specs#tabtop
your laptop has a IEEE1394/firewire/DV/i.LINK (all the same thing) port. I would suggest you go the miniDV tape DV/HDV route.

You will also want an external hard drive for the editing projects - the hard drive in this machine form Dell are tiny.

Collapse -
dear lord
by steerxxx / December 14, 2008 7:14 AM PST
In reply to: Chances are good

so could you provide some reccomendations?
thanks for your input.. I'm new to this whole world of video camera's.. digi cams did wonders for me.. but now, it's time for a new adventure..
I'm going to buy the cheaper Flip Video Camera for the backpackig trips

program is 15 months abroad.. i plan to do a video a day, nothing to long 2-5 minute videos

how big are the camcorders with digital tapes?

Collapse -
well...
by boya84 / December 14, 2008 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: dear lord

The Flips also need their video stored *somewhere*, too... Unless you plan to fill them and get another. But that would get pricey.

The camcorders which use miniDV tapes are not much larger than those which use hard drive or flash memory. Perhaps there is an electronics store nearby you can see/touch them?

Since you got to the Canons, just stay in the ballpark:

HF10, HF11, HF100 for Flash memory
HV30 for miniDV tape.

Collapse -
much
by steerxxx / December 14, 2008 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: well...

much thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!