General discussion

Good Bye to CD's!

I want to get rid of my CD's by changing to a hard drive or Ipod based system. An added requirement is that my wife wants to be able to choose the CD / track via. the TV screen (Panasonic LCD) I also have a Technics amp and CD which I want to keep as part of the system.

I have thought about going for an Ipod with docking cradle but I don't think there is a product that will allow me to connect to a TV.
I have also considered the PC multimedia route, but got very confused!

I would welcome any suggestons.

Cheers
David W

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Good Bye to CD's!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Good Bye to CD's!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Some newer av receivers have iPod docks

that communicate information to the TV screen. But that seems like overkill to just get music to your stereo.

If you already have a PC or Mac and a wireless router you are mostly there. Download iTunes and rip the CD's to your PC. Get yourself an Apple airport express for wireless streaming from your PC to your receiver (the airport express has a variable line out and automatically shows up in iTunes as a remote location for streaming). If you buy an iPod Touch you will then have an iPod to take with you on the road as well as the ability to control the whole setup wirelessly via a free app on called "Remote". You can control as many zones as you care to set up with additional Airport Expresses.

- Collapse -
Not an answer, a warning . . .

What's going to happen when the hard drive with all your music fails? Got a backup plan?

- Collapse -
Hard drives are cheap. Get several.

Or back up to DVD's. Not to mention, he's got the original CD's if all else fails.

- Collapse -
Exactly

With a terabyte external for less than $90, it's hard to argue with that sound logic. I also always backup to another inexpensive type of media that is not attached to electricity and has no moving parts.
Plenty of ways to kick this can, luckily Wink.

IMHO the OP may have a hard time now deciding for a dock solution with OSD like the Takkeon(sp?) or perhaps DLO? Something that does not require a PC to operate, but would work w/ a typical budget HT receiver.

I can't even begin to tell you how convenient it is to have various inexpensive iPod docks in different parts of the home & auto via dock connector to head unit. My next HT purchase will definitely incorporate some sort of OSD Wink>.

cheers,
P

- Collapse -
HTPC

easy -just keep a copy of the cd if that happens. Then go through the pain in the neck process of reinstalling them on a new drive.

Or mirror the drive to another spare drive.

- Collapse -
Home Theater Pc and how to set them up

What did you get confused about with the home theater pc? They may seem more complex than they are. Here's a site I used to get mine set up.

http://www.home-speaker.net/hometheaterpc.html

I can answer most questions you might have regarding them.

It sounds like the HTPC is what your are after.

Jon

CNET Forums

Forum Info